PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Cutie Pancakes

grayfox
09-09-2011, 13:22
These were invented by accident in early morning darkness. They got their name because, like the song goes, 'How they got there-I hadn't a clue," until I woke up and realized that I had used the Mexican spice mix by accident instead of the sugar/cinnamon mix.

Dry Mix in baggie:
Compleat pancake mix 1 cup
Nido 2 TBS
unflavored dehydrated eggs 2 TBS
corn meal 1TBS
oat flour or meal 1TBS
(adjust portions to your tastes and add what you like or just use the mix as is)

When you prepare the batter just make as much as you need, a quarter cup of mix will make a large cake, mixing in enough water to make a batter that is a bit thicker than you would make at home for regular pancakes. Cook them in oil or butter over very low heat--the objective is to cook the underside, without burning it, until the top is dry and the bubbles have popped. Flip the cakes, this is easy when they are nearly dry on top even if you are using a small narrow pot like the MSR Ti-kettle, adding more oil to the pot for the second side will help them not to stick.

After you spread out the batter in your pan:

Mexican Cuties: sprinkle mexican spice mix on the top. Goes well with cheese and salami and is ok for breakfast!

Italian panini or garlic bread: use an Italian spice mix, extra garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. Chopped dried tomatoes and pepperoni bits are good. This cake benefits from butter or oil added to the pan for the second side. After making this cake use the same pot without washing it to cook your sauce and pasta meal. A quick pizza can be made, using a lid briefly after the cake has cooked through will help hold in the heat to melt cheese without making the cake soggy.

Grayfox's favorite: sprinkle with generous portion of cinnamon/sugar mix(also good on rice). No need for syrup.

The combinations are really endless--Thai and curry spice mixes work well. Adding the spice mix to the top of the wet batter allows the flavor to develop a bit befor turning the cake. Since these cakes are a bit drier than regular pancakes, they will carry well to lunchtime.

Odd Man Out
09-09-2011, 22:12
These were invented by accident in early morning darkness. They got their name because, like the song goes, 'How they got there-I hadn't a clue,"

I think if you listen to the rest of the song, the reason for your memory lapse becomes apparent.

grayfox
09-09-2011, 22:28
I think if you listen to the rest of the song, the reason for your memory lapse becomes apparent.

I don't spend much time in 'Margaritaville' anymore--one thing about getting older is you don't have to drink to forget! I really like that music though--a few years ago I took a finance class at a local college and for a long time whenever the teacher talked about 'Buffet" I thought she meant 'Jimmy! Hope you like the pancakes, grayfox

russb
09-10-2011, 10:08
Yeah on getting old...from another song... now I'm gettin old I don't wear underwear, I don't go to church and I don't cut my hair...

I saw Jimmy for the last concert of his "Off to See the Lizard Tour". Good times... the Mexican Cutie Pancakes look good too.

Odd Man Out
09-10-2011, 12:04
Yeah on getting old...from another song... now I'm gettin old I don't wear underwear, I don't go to church and I don't cut my hair...

I saw Jimmy for the last concert of his "Off to See the Lizard Tour". Good times... the Mexican Cutie Pancakes look good too.

I haven't seen him since his "Volcano Tour". I think also puts me in the "old" category.

russb
09-10-2011, 14:09
I haven't seen him since his "Volcano Tour". I think also puts me in the "old" category.

Volcano was his finale song for the "off to see.." tour. He had a giant volcano erupt on stage.

All you Parrotheads repeat it with me... fins to the left.

Odd Man Out
09-10-2011, 14:50
Bears to the left. Bears to the right. And you're the only bait in town.