PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer 3-Way Inline Water Filter

High Jacker
09-09-2011, 16:50
Anyone have any experience with this specifically? Had been using iodine tablets but got tired of them and bought a Sweetwater filter. It broke the second trip out. Saw this online and it looks like a GREAT solution.

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Sierra Echo
09-09-2011, 16:53
I have a katadin hiker pro!

theoilman
09-09-2011, 18:00
I'm considering a Sawyer Squeeze. At only 3 oz, and no moving parts, no pump to fail; you fill a bag, connect it to the filter and squeeze it to force through the filter to your use bottle; it seems like the simplest. With a 0.1 micron rating, you souldn't need any chemicals.
At 3 oz, about the same weight as the aqua-mira chemicals.

RWheeler
09-09-2011, 18:19
I'm curious how easy it would be to field clean. The reviews of it talk about flushing it at home specifically...

Ladytrekker
09-09-2011, 18:24
http://www.botaofboulder.com/water-filtration/9-outback-water-filtration-system-22oz

I really like my Bota I put my katahdyn hiker pro away to much work and heavy this is great I just fill it up and squeeze the water into my bladder or cook pot.

Odd Man Out
09-09-2011, 21:22
I'm curious how easy it would be to field clean. The reviews of it talk about flushing it at home specifically...

I've been reading about this one too, but have yet to buy. This video shows how to field backwash.

http://soldiersystems.net/2011/08/19/sawyer-squeeze-filter/

Also, there is this discussion about using an adapter to the clean side of the filter can flow directly into another bag. You can then use remove the dirty bag and squeeze the clean water back through the filter so you don't need the syringe. Also the system works as a gravity filter in addition to a squeeze filter.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=48335&skip_to_post=432199

EJC
09-09-2011, 21:38
I bought this at the beginning of the summer, however I've always just either not treated or used aqua mira to avoid any possible hassle. If I do use it I'll let you know!

bulldog49
09-10-2011, 21:36
[QUOTE=EJC;1198851]I bought this at the beginning of the summer, however I've always just either not treated or used aqua mira to avoid any possible hassle. If I do use it I'll let you know![QUOTE]

Mixing the two chemicals in a little cap and waiting 5 minutes for them to react seems like more of a hassle than squeezing a bag. :confused:

EJC
09-10-2011, 22:37
Nah, they take seconds to mix and I usually let them sit while I fill my bladder. It's the hassle of having to cut my hydration tubing to install this (maybe makes a leak?), plus the fact filters can freeze, clog, crack, etc.

High Jacker
09-11-2011, 02:24
Purchased the filter this evening and after sink testing I'm pleased. While I did have to cut my bladder tubing, it seems to pretty leak proof and in fact the design of the filter ends prevented me from removing the tubing I had plugged it into initially. If you get this, don't hook it up anywhere other than where you want the filter! I ended up cutting it a bit to get it off and then hooking it up to its final resting place. So far, so good. Should be relatively easy to use as a gravity filter at camp too.

EJC
09-12-2011, 19:42
Any suggestions on where to put the filter so that it doesn't snag or interefere with the way you pack (low, high, middle?)

hambone5126
09-14-2011, 20:09
ive been wondering about some kind of inline filter setup on my bag. i like the idea, but it does raise one question. what if i want to filter water into another container? i guess you would just squeeze from your bag into the other container?

jeramie75
09-20-2011, 21:26
Where would be the best place for the inline filter? I would think on the exterior of the pack so you could take advantage of being able to unplug and drink from a stream function. Anyone?

Odd Man Out
09-21-2011, 00:17
I have been considering this system too. I have been using a gravity system (the ULA system they don't make anymore). With that, I just keep the filter in an outer pack pocket. At a water source, I fill the bag and let it drip in my clean water containers. Only takes a few minutes and no work (technically work is done: W=Fxd, but gravity provides the F). However this system is not designed for the drink from stream function.

With an in-line system, my plan would be to use a 2 or 3 L hydration bag as a dirty reservoir. Many long distance hikers carry one of these either for dry camping or hydration while walking. It would work the same way, just that this bag is reserved for unfiltered water only. You can still drink from the bag if you hook up the filter to the drinking tube. I prefer to drink from bottles, so I would fill the bottles from the reservoir as needed. With this system (unlike the ULA) i would have the option of carrying dirty water in the reservoir and also squeezing the reservoir to force the water through the filter (although gravity should work too).

I would also want to get some quick disconnects. I wouldn't want to have the filter attached to the dirty reservoir when filling, so I would want to be able to connect and disconnect the filter tube quickly. You wold also want to be able to disconnect so you can easily put it someplace warm on nights when it might freeze. You would also want to be able to disconnect the filter to back flush. If you have a flexible drinking bottle for clean water (1 L Platypus, etc..), you can squeeze clean water backwards through the filter to clean the filter.

At least that's the plan.

jeramie75
09-25-2011, 21:12
With this system how would you get the water from the "dirty" reservoir to your other drinking bottle? Also, I wonder how much suction is needed while using the inline?

Bucho
09-27-2011, 20:56
I've been using the sawyer 3 since Waynsboro VA and am lookintg to finish the AT in a couple of weeks. I've used it as a gravity filter and when Jen took a week off to rest her foot I started using it inline. It absolutely gets my thumbs up.

Inline there is some resistance, drinking with it feels like when I would get down toward the bottom of my camelbak normally.

wwbriggs
09-27-2011, 21:11
Katadin Hiker Pro

Carl Calson
02-22-2012, 15:46
has anyone had any experience backwashing the 3-way in the field? just got mine today and set it up. pretty sweet system, very lightweight.

also, does anyone know what the 2 male ends attached by a short black tube are for?

Bucho
02-26-2012, 20:04
The short length of tube with 2 male adapters is only used for the third way of filtering in your 3-way filter. It allows you to connect the back-flushing hose to the female end of the filter so that you can filter tap water.

As for back flushing in the field If you're using it in a gravity filter setup just flip things over like you would with the platypus gravity filter.

If you're using it inline switch from suck to blow.

Ashman
02-26-2012, 20:34
I'm a big fan of the Sawyer system. I don't use it inline, I have a "dirty" bag that I filter into whatever I want the clean water to go to. With a 3 liter capacity, it makes a pretty good camp bag but I usually hike in a group. You would save some weight by ditching the "dirty" bag. Those things can go a LONG time before they have to be flushed (especially if you pre-filter with a bandana or something) If you were doing a long distance hike just bounce it ahead and flush it while in town. I have used it 5 days without flushing with no degrading of water flow (again I prefilter if it is pretty mucky) a great system. If you are hiking cold weather, I put the filter in a ziplock and sleep with it so it doesn't freeze at night.

cabbagehead
03-30-2012, 21:03
I had a katadyn hiker. It became hard to pump after a month of continuous use.

SouthMark
03-30-2012, 22:22

I have a friend who used this on our Chattooga River Trail hike three weeks ago. She had no problem with it and no problem field cleaning it. Her only problem was time. The rest of us were already tanked up and had our water bottles filled while she was unpacking, filling, squeezing and repacking as none of us filter or treat our water.

Kerosene
04-01-2012, 11:41
I view this as an ideal solution for a group (3-4 long-distance hikers), best used in camp. As a solo section hiker I'll be sticking with Aqua Mira and a coffee filter if I need to strain out the floaties.

Connie
04-02-2012, 00:26
I prefilter, into the first container with a coffee filter.

There is silt and glacial runoff around here.

That said, I like the Sawyer 0.1 micron filter because it flows fast. I use it in gravity feed.

I have a quick-disconnect for the Platy bladder. I prefer to filter into 1 liter Platys, however.

I think I might like the Squeeze.

I think if I have a problem, I will claim the lifetime guarantee. It doesn't get better than that.

Bucho
04-03-2012, 11:51
I view this as an ideal solution for a group (3-4 long-distance hikers), best used in camp. As a solo section hiker I'll be sticking with Aqua Mira and a coffee filter if I need to strain out the floaties.

That depends on how you set it up. When I was a solo hiker I used it inline so that it filtered water as I drank it while hiking. In my opinion using it that way is faster, easier and no heavier than using Aqua Mira.

DaFireMedic
05-07-2012, 23:39
I use the Sawyer 3 way inline both as an inline on my pack and as a gravity system. I used to use it solely as a gravity system by filling a "dirty" bag with water, turning it upside down and letting the water flow through the filter into a clean bag. Since then, I just put water into my pack reservoir and drink it with the filter on the tube. I've thought about mounting near the cap on a 1 liter bottle and just drinking from the filter end, as I rarely carry more than 1 liter when water sources are known and plentiful.

Backflushing is easy in the field and it doesn't need to be a purified source. Just turn the filter around and let water flow through it.

I have a Katadyn mini-filter also. It works fine but is heavier and you have to pump from the source. I prefer not to use chemical treatment as it always adds that taste to the water and I try to drink as little chlorine or iodine as possible. I do carry 10 or so individually wrapped for a backup.

Rain Man
05-08-2012, 10:07
.... Backflushing is easy in the field and it doesn't need to be a purified source. Just turn the filter around and let water flow through it.

Am I missing something? You put "bad" water into the "good" side of your filter (to backflush) and say that's okay? What is there about these particular filters that I don't understand?

Rain:sunMan

Bucho
05-08-2012, 11:50
So I'm not the only one wondering about that description. I'm hoping he means that he flips his entire gravity filter setup over as opposed to contaminating the clean side of the filter.

MaggieMaeFlower
05-08-2012, 15:16
I use the Gravityworks Water Filter which functions just like the Sawyer 3-way Inline. I have a custom setup: I ditched the 4 liter clean bag and use my 2 liter reservoir with a hose instead. I also removed the foam "bumpers" from the filter so now the filter itself only weighs 3.2 ounces. I kept the 4 liter "dirty" bag because I really like how easy it is to fill up the large zippered top and it has very nice carrying straps. This gives me the ability to carry 6 liters (which I would never do) or have plenty of water for cooking and refilling my reservoir before taking off in the morning with extra to stare. The backflushing is simple and shown in the "Using the Gravityworks filter" video link below. When it comes time to get a new filter I will try the Sawyer next. The outer shell looks more durable. Gravityworks filters at .2 microns and the Sawyer filters at 0.1 microns. I've also heard that the Sawyer products don't seal well with Platypus products.
http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/gravityworks-filter/product

"Dirty" bag 4 liter 3.1 oz
Gravityworks Filter 3.2 oz
Resevoir 2 liter/hose/bitevalve 3.8 oz
Total 10.1 oz

kidchill
05-08-2012, 16:20
I gotta give a plus 1 for the sawyer squeeze...I was using aqua mira drops, but I figured I had the sawyer, why not try it? So, I did, and it was awesome! Super quick and easy! The pull cap fits great right inside the opening to my platy. The water tasted great and NOT like a swimming pool! This will definitely be my goto water cleaner...

StichBurly
05-08-2012, 19:25
Anyone have any experience with this specifically? Had been using iodine tablets but got tired of them and bought a Sweetwater filter. It broke the second trip out. Saw this online and it looks like a GREAT solution.

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

I looked at the REI specs. I didn't see how many gallons of water can be filtered thru the filter before replacing. Anyone know?

StichBurly
05-08-2012, 19:29
I looked at the REI specs. I didn't see how many gallons of water can be filtered thru the filter before replacing. Anyone know?

I found the info on Sawyers website. They say it's guaranteed for 1 million gallons.

Bucho
05-08-2012, 20:41
I've also heard that the Sawyer products don't seal well with Platypus products.

If you're talking about the quick connects Platypus and Sawyer are identical it's Camelbak that doesn't fit right.

Also is 3.2oz the weight of your filter with water in it because I think it's supposed to be more like 1.8oz?

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2012, 20:52
I am missing something too Rain Man... I think you hit it.. back flush with germs on the other side and its done.

jeffmeh
05-08-2012, 21:42
One must certainly back flush with clean water. That said, one can use the filter to get enough water to backflush, then use that water. If I am missing something here I would be happy to hear it.

MaggieMaeFlower
05-08-2012, 21:58
If you're talking about the quick connects Platypus and Sawyer are identical it's Camelbak that doesn't fit right.

Also is 3.2oz the weight of your filter with water in it because I think it's supposed to be more like 1.8oz?

It is the weight of 2 small quick connect hoses attached (about 6" each) and probably some water left in there as well from a recent trip.

dornstar
05-08-2012, 22:45
I'm a HUGE fan as well. Weighs about 2 ounces wet and has never done me wrong.

Also, I contacted Sawyer about putting powder Gatorade or Mio into my bladder and here's what they had to say...

"Yes you can add the powdered drink mixes before the filter if you get
them completely in solution. Also with the sugar based drinks (like
Gator-aid and Kool-aid) you must clean the filter after use. Otherwise
the sugars will crystallize on the fibers (just like when you made rock
candy as a kid). If this happens you will need to clean with very hot
water."

dornstar
05-08-2012, 22:55
Sorry, I misspoke, mine is 3.8 ounces "wet".

DaFireMedic
05-09-2012, 21:01
Am I missing something? You put "bad" water into the "good" side of your filter (to backflush) and say that's okay? What is there about these particular filters that I don't understand?

You are not missing something, I screwed up when I wrote that (long day at work). I was addressing someones question about backflushing in the field. I meant that you can use the water that you have, turn the filter around in your line and flush. It doesn't take much. My fault, I apologize.

firefly
05-09-2012, 22:34
I use the Sawyer 3 Way as an inline filter and love it..just fill my platy bottle & sip and go which is perfect for me as a solo hiker. In camp you can hang it from a tree and let flow into another water container like a gravity filter. The Sawyer Squeeze is the same filter with a bag attached. Instead of pumping water through a filter you are squeezing water through a filter into seperate water containers. The squeeze is a good group filter and is lighter than pump filters. The Sawyer 3 Way comes with quick disconnect ends that you put in your hydration hose..this allows you to remove the filter from the hose when you want to use it for the other 2 ways. It comes with a short black straw for drinking/filtering out of any container and it also comes with a rubber faucett adaptor for filtering tap water. It was designed for people who backpack and who also travel and want an easy way to filter drinking water.

Bucho
05-10-2012, 00:30
[QUOTE=dornstar;1286277]Sorry, I misspoke, mine is 3.8 ounces "wet".
[QUOTE]

Yeah...despite the listed weight of 1.8oz the Sawyer 3 way is over 2oz dry.