PDA

View Full Version : looking for info on the BMT

Ford Perfect
09-09-2011, 17:25
me and some friends have been looking into walking the BMT and i have a few questions, have a guide book but i like first hand info

Would like to know how the trail looks, we have heard that in parts there is not much of a trail

when you are out of the park can you camp anywhere you want

will you see many people

just any info you have

thanks

SGT Rock
09-09-2011, 22:39
I'll try and help out here. The BMT is a great trail, well maintained, so I'm not sure what you mean by "not much of a trail". However some parts are not blazed due to the rules of the local wilderness managers. If you have a good guide book and maps, and have decent navigation skills you should be fine.

In the GSMNP there are many cross trails one could use if one wanted too. I have done the BMT through the park a couple of times and love it, so I don't know what other trails you would want to use, but you might miss some good stuff going on those other trails. I would especially suggest Enloe Creek and Mr Sterling as places to see.

Outside the park there are a coupe of short sections where the BMT is a road walk where you cannot camp, but most of the time you can stay where ever you want.

You will not see many people on the BMT.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Ford Perfect
09-12-2011, 16:16
thanks for the info

i had heard that trail was grown up in places hard to find but i like sound of well maintained.

I feel bad for not walking this trail already i live like 30min away from the Joe Brown Hwy part

SGT Rock
09-12-2011, 18:46
Very cool.

At times some sections get grown up. It happens. We try to stay on top of it. A couple of weeks back I was swing blading a section not my own to catch up with the weeds.