PDA

View Full Version : shoe question

ekeverette
09-09-2011, 18:23
just got my trail shoes today, just a tad large. back in the old days you bought your shoes a little large and wore thick socks for cushion. now all i see are the ankle type socks. i know it's personal preference, but have any of you older folks down sized? kinda hate to send by shoes back? thanks

LIhikers
09-15-2011, 20:44
I still buy my hiking boots a half size too big and then wear thick, cushioning socks.
The reason I do it is to get extra room in the toe box.
I have a problem with in-grown toe nails and if the shoe hits agains my toes it hurts.

Grinder
09-16-2011, 08:46
I guess I qualify as "older" (damn you for bringing it up!!<G>)

I buy a size larger and wear heavy socks. Mostly because I'm cheap and buy shoes on sale. The wide models rarely reach the sale rack. I've never noticed any problem with the extra length and haven't had a loose heel yet.

Rambler
09-16-2011, 09:50
I wear half size larger than I would normally wear in the same model shoe around town. But, sizes vary depending on the make of the shoe, so be careful. Always try on at least a half size up and check the fit. Get shoes the right size and then wear a thin sock. Do not fill up the empty space with a thick sock. Increase the size of the shoe instead. Let the support of the shoe come from the fit of the shoe, not sock material. Nevertheless, if a bulky sock gives you a comfortable blister free hike, you have solved your foot issues!
For me, low cut shoes, low cut socks work well.

1azarus
09-16-2011, 15:27
I buy a half size larger than my normal hiking trail runners for winter wear when a thicker sock and maybe even a liner makes sense... I do wear thinner short socks in a trail runner that is just a tad larger than my street shoes the rest of the year. So for me... every day, size 9 1/2, three season hiking, size 10, winter hiking, size 10 1/2. I'd probably find an excuse to keep the new shoes for something!

Hoofit
09-16-2011, 19:30
Lessons from the trail after 1200 miles...
My feet went from a size 11 to a size 12 on the trail and are still a 12 now, a full 14 months later! And i'm fifty seven so I thought i'd done all my growing...
So if you're going to do a long hike, be prepared! Adding a quality insole along the trail may help your feet so the extra room could be advantageous-buying quality shoes/boots really pays off...Good Luck!

Avalanche1
11-28-2011, 12:17
Buy your boots late in the day when your feet have already expanded. Make sure the boots fit before you leave the store. Boots are the most important gear you'll buy--if they don't fit well, you're in for lots of pain.