PDA

View Full Version : AT and Leaves

trailfinder
02-22-2005, 12:16
Does anyone know the current condition of the AT between Max Patch and Hot Springs, NC? I love this section, but when I hiked it last November the autumn leaves made the trail somewhat difficult to follow if you did not pay attention to the white blazes. Also, the leaves covered over rocks and roots on the trail which, in my opinion, made an easy hike difficult and slower. Thanks!

MOWGLI
02-22-2005, 14:01
Does anyone know the current condition of the AT between Max Patch and Hot Springs, NC? I love this section, but when I hiked it last November the autumn leaves made the trail somewhat difficult to follow if you did not pay attention to the white blazes. Also, the leaves covered over rocks and roots on the trail which, in my opinion, made an easy hike difficult and slower. Thanks!

I have not hiked that section lately, but my experience tells me that most of the leaves in the treadway have been pretty well trampled by now. The AT gets a lot of use in this area, so by February, the leaves are pretty much ground to mush.

I did walk the Alabama Pinhoti this weekend in a little used section. The leaves were deep in some areas, but I had little trouble following the treadway.

Have a nice hike!

The Weasel
02-22-2005, 14:52
I'm pretty sure one of the trail standards that maintainers use is that at least one blaze is always visible (might take some squinting) from another. If you're not sure you're on the trail, look backwards for the previous one, go to it, and look for the next one.

The Weasel

orangebug
02-22-2005, 18:31
I think the standard is just to have the blazes where needed to make it feasible for the average hiker to identify they are on the trail. Sometimes, that involves turning around and seeing a blaze behind you, while walking a significant distance between visible blazes

Of course, there is a segment in NJ where there are (no kidding) at least 15 blazes within 100 feet - all visible at once.

Kerosene
02-22-2005, 18:54
the leaves covered over rocks and roots on the trail which, in my opinion, made an easy hike difficult and slower.One of the few drawbacks of hiking in the Fall. One of the other is the constant whoosh-whoosh-whoosh of dry leaves as you walk through them all day.

MOWGLI
02-22-2005, 19:25
One of the few drawbacks of hiking in the Fall.

Personally, I like a little bit more challenging trail. I know that's not for everyone, but I find it fun to try and follow a narrow path through the woods. I guess that's what draws me to a lot of the "other trails" in the southeast.

Although... just north of Roaring Fork Shelter was one of the few places on the entire AT where I got off the trail by accident. There is an old road that goes downhill to the right where the trail ascends. I followed the road perhaps .25 miles before I realized I was off the trail. Doh!

One other note... On the Benton MacKaye Trail I came upon ferns, trillium and loads of other wildflowers growing right in the middle of the trail! When was the last time you saw that on the AT?

Hikerhead
02-22-2005, 20:10
One other note... On the Benton MacKaye Trail I came upon ferns, trillium and loads of other wildflowers growing right in the middle of the trail! When was the last time you saw that on the AT?

I hope to see them in May, plus a boar and I want to hear some coyotes. I caught spring fever today.

Brushy Sage
02-22-2005, 21:33
Just a comment about blazes: The Appalachian Trail Fieldbook says that where the trail is "conspicuous," blazes should be at about five-minute intervals, 800 - 1,000 ft apart. Where the trail is obscure, they should be no more than 100 yards apart. After a junction or road crossing there should be a blaze immediately visible, and then another one about 50-100 ft after that. Northbound blazes are supposed to be about half way between southbound blazes. Obviously these standards are interpreted rather loosly by some.