PDA

View Full Version : Convince me not to bring my tent!

rjhouser
09-10-2011, 13:07
Planning my thru hike for 2012. I have a sierra designs lightyear 1 tent. I want to go UL, and this is really the only thing holding me back. Sierra designs claims its packed wait is 3 lbs on the nose.

When I'm not staying in a shelter I want to have something that is 1) dry 2) has room to change clothes in 3) completely bug-proof 4) can be put up or taken down quickly 5) wind resistant. I'm sure there's a couple other things I value in a tent but you get the jist.

I'm not completely against selling my tent and going with something lighter if it can meet my expectations for a shelter, but then again I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either, i.e. I wouldn't want to spend much more than what I could get for my gently used SD. (But I would expect to pay something more)

Convince me not to bring my tent! :banana

hikerboy57
09-10-2011, 13:15
check the FS forum. Jays selling a big agnes flycreek ul1, weighs under 2 lbs w/fly, easy set up.

kayak karl
09-10-2011, 13:39
http://www.lightheartgear.com/

LDog
09-10-2011, 13:40
Check out Six Moons Designs. Their Skyscape series runs $125 for a 34 oz version, $225 for 24 oz, and $450 for a cuben fiber version weighing 16 oz. Those weights are without poles as they are designed to be pitched with hiking poles. Optional poles are available. Tarptent, LightHeart Gear, Gossamer Gear, Z Packs and GoLite all offer lightweight, envelope-pushing designs, mostly made in the USA. The pros and cons of each have been discussed in depth in these forums.

Slo-go'en
09-10-2011, 13:48
3 pounds isn't all that bad for a tent. My main concern would not be how heavy it is, but how bulky it is. More bulk means harder to pack.

ekeverette
09-10-2011, 14:05
i have a solo copper spur ul1...... havent tried it out yet.... but has no negative reviews.... bit pricey though.

Bearpaw
09-11-2011, 15:37
When I'm not in a hammock, I really like the Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo with the heavy floor, well under 2 pounds with all stakes.

Or you could carry the 3 pound tent, which is still pretty darned light, all things considered.

Kerosene
09-11-2011, 15:52
Hey, if you're trying to go UL, then you've got to be looking at every quarter-pound opportunity at this point. You can cut your pack weight by 16-24 ounces with a single-wall tent; even more with a Cuben tarp/bivy combination. The biggest drawback with a single-wall will be condensation, but if you don't think you'll be in a tent every night then I would seriously consider the weight savings.

mirabela
09-11-2011, 19:11
Relax, man. Bring the tent. You'll appreciate the options it gives you. When I NOBO'ed in '91 I went through a UL period where I was paring out every imaginable thing, and wound up picking a lot of it back up when I felt the comfort more than warranted the weight. A tent (Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, ~4 pounds packed) was one of the things I gladly resumed carrying.

Just be reasonable about your base weight. The fact that a bunch of people go sub-10 pounds does not mean you can't carry a base weight of 20 or 25 and still be totally happy and fine. It's not that big a deal unless you are intending really huge miles.

rjhouser
09-11-2011, 20:38
This is all interesting... I crawled into my lightyear yesterday and I have to say, I do like it. I have however entertained the notion of selling it and picking up a used Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo... It would practically be cutting the weight in half. I am carrying a WM down bag though and have heard negative reviews on the Lunar Solo and condensation... Think I should just stick with what I've got?

Chaco Taco
09-11-2011, 22:52
The condensation is something you will have to deal with but you can pack a sham wow or something like it, problem solved. I have a double rainbow and use the sham wow in the am if it was a wet night, works great. Worth the savings on weight

garlic08
09-12-2011, 08:32
I converted to single wall shelters (Tarptent is my favorite for good design and cost) many years ago for Western hikes. I was a little concerned about bringing my Contrail on the more humid AT, but I managed the condensation just fine. Site selection is more important. Pitching on a breezy ridge worked better than the dewy valleys, for instance--just 100' in altitude makes a difference. The Contrail is very durable and reliable (6000 trail miles on mine and it's good for thousands more), very simple in design (no hoop poles to loose or break) and it's hard to beat the price per mile.

Of course there are costs associated with carrying less weight. If single wall shelters were the perfect shelter, there wouldn't be any other types sold. There is definitely a market for heavier tents, and obviously many hikers feel they're better. You need to decide if the benefits are worth the cost.

One thing is certain: Anyone who carries a heavier tent than you is a dinosaur. Anyone who carries a lighter tent than you is a risk-taking fool.

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 08:38
One thing is certain: Anyone who carries a heavier tent than you is a dinosaur. Anyone who carries a lighter tent than you is a risk-taking fool.

Perfect. I have both. My wife hates the single wall. If I know its going to be a wet hike, Ill carry my Hubba Hubba, if I know its going to be relatively nice, Ill take my tarptent. This weekend, Ill be taking the HS because its going to be beautiful up here in the Whites. Id be jealous of me too:D

DavidNH
09-12-2011, 09:46
Bring the damn tent already! It's barely over 3 pounds. Shelters may be full. No hiker should have to give you space just cause you were too dim witted not to bring shelter.

Now if you would bring just say an ultra light shelter such as a tarp then we can talk. But don't leave shelter behind just to save weight! Geeze!

Tom Murphy
09-12-2011, 10:24
Have sierra designs lightyear 1 tent - 3 lbs

Want
1) dry
2) has room to change clothes in
3) completely bug-proof
4) can be put up or taken down quickly
5) wind resistant.
6) I wouldn't want to spend much more than what I could get for my gently used SD. (But I would expect to pay something more)

I would add that you have a double walled tent so you have never needed to worry about condensation too much.

I think you ALREADY have a very good tent.

The REIs and EMSs versions? the MSR Hubba? the BA tents? All are going to cost some $$ for those few ounces.

If you consider single wall tents you may save a few ounces, but you need to learn how to use them - hint ventilation and wind currents.

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 10:29
I would add that you have a double walled tent so you have never needed to worry about condensation too much.

I think you ALREADY have a very good tent.

The REIs and EMSs versions? the MSR Hubba? the BA tents? All are going to cost some $$ for those few ounces.

If you consider single wall tents you may save a few ounces, but you need to learn how to use them - hint ventilation and wind currents.

No matter what tent you carry, you always have to worry about condensation in some fashion. Yes single wall more so. Condensation is just always an issue in the wetter climate on the east coast. You do make a valid point here though, why not just go with the tent you have, you said you like it. Like David said, dont NOT take a tent. You are just setting yourself up

Ender
09-12-2011, 10:31
Bring the damn tent already! It's barely over 3 pounds. Shelters may be full. No hiker should have to give you space just cause you were too dim witted not to bring shelter.

Now if you would bring just say an ultra light shelter such as a tarp then we can talk. But don't leave shelter behind just to save weight! Geeze!

To be fair to the OP, that's not what he's asking. He was wondering if he should stick with his 3 pound tent, or go with a lighter tent/tarptent.

And to that point, if you can find a deal on a lighter shelter, the saved weight will be worth it in my opinion, especially on a hike of that length. If it was just for a weekend I say don't bother, but for a thru, every ounce counts.

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 11:02
Convince me not to bring my tent! :banana

Just sayin

rjhouser
09-12-2011, 11:33
Just sayin

I meant convince me by suggesting an alternative that fits my values / price range. Of course I'm going to take some form of shelter. More than I expected are trying to convince me to stick with what I have, which is tempting. The UL philosophy just keeps nagging me.

sbhikes
09-12-2011, 13:05
Those lightheart gear tents look amazing. I saw them at the PCT Kickoff last spring. I would never convince you not to bring a tent or at least a tarp shelter of some sort. That would be foolish.

Texico
09-12-2011, 13:34
Sounds to me like you already know you want a new lighter weight tent. You just want us to justify it for you and offer choices. I'm going to purchase a Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker for my thru next year. I'll be saving nearly two pounds with the new tent. To me the weight savings is worth the cost of a new tent. You need to decide if it is worth it for you. We can't do that for you.

daddytwosticks
09-12-2011, 15:16
I received a Lightheart Solo a few weeks ago but have not used it yet...too many commitments are getting in the way of anything but day hikes lately. I have set it up once to check it out. I think I'm going to like this way better than a Contrail I tried a few years ago. :)

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 17:19
I meant convince me by suggesting an alternative that fits my values / price range. Of course I'm going to take some form of shelter. More than I expected are trying to convince me to stick with what I have, which is tempting. The UL philosophy just keeps nagging me.

I hear ya. Its not so much really going UL but getting what works for you. Ill let you in on a little something. I have only weighed my pack once. I figure my weight out by how much the specs say something weighs and I tweak it. Weight is not so much a big deal as getting what you like and what works for you. If you like something and it works and it weighs a little more, keep it. I carried a North Face Rock 22 for 2000 miles and base all of my tent purchases on that tent. It was a great size, and was a bombshelter. It weighed 5 1/2 pounds but to me, it worked and I loved it.

garlic08
09-12-2011, 20:02
The Contrail is only $200 and besides lasting many thousands of miles, they seem to hold their value pretty well. So you're not out much money if you try it, decide you don't like it, and sell it. Or keep it in stock for a trip in dry weather if you decide you don't like dealing with condensation.

rjhouser
09-12-2011, 20:43
Contrail / Skyscape / Lunar Solo... Which vents better? Or all about the same?

CaptainNemo
09-28-2011, 09:08
every ounce counts. I like that. (shoutout to all the UL's out there hahaha)

opinionated and inexperienced rant disclaimer dont read*

and you know this mane! rjhouser I would recommend a tarp bivy (waterproof breathable) combo just because you have a down bag.... giggle. methinks it will stay dryer that way... but thats just a hunch. and the eventual route that I haven't gone in yet. but will and have no knowledge of its effectiveness yet.

q-tip
09-28-2011, 10:21
I will support getting the TT Contrail. I usedit for 1,000 mi Aug-Nov. 2010. Condensation not a problem, but some misting when the tent gets wet. But with all of the tradeoffs noted above, I was confident in staying dry and carrying the absolute lightest tent I could afford the met my needs. Good Luck.