PDA

View Full Version : Any Hikers in Southeast MI?

squirrely
09-11-2011, 17:50
Hey, I just wanted to mention this great park to anyone from Southeast Michigan. It's called Maybury State Park, it's on around 945+ acres, miles and miles of hiking trails, hikable mountain bike trails, etc. Much of it's hilly and quite steep and it's all wooded. It's built on the grounds of an old sanatorium that was pulled down in the 70's so there are still some places where you can see remnants like the old water tower and some foundations of the hospital. It's fun to try and find bits and pieces of the old place in the woods. It's a really cool place and definitely worth checking out. There is no camping allowed at the park, but it's great for a long day hike.

The address is:
20145 N Beck Rd
Northville MI, 48167

Like I said, It's a really great place! If you do head out there see if you can find the old classic car out in the woods.

Check it out!

Kerosene
09-12-2011, 10:17
Check out the Waterloo-Pinckney Trail (http://up-northmichigan.com/waterloopinckneytrail.htm), about half an hour west of Ann Arbor. It's the only multi-day hiking trail I found in SE MI, measuring about 36 miles. I hiked it back in mid-October 1999 after the people and bugs were gone and the leaves were changing. I also used to hike 10-20 mile sections for warm-up hikes before my AT section hikes.

longwinded
09-12-2011, 10:41
Kensington Metro Park in Milford is GREAt also. Lots of hiking/biking paths and varied terrain.

squirrely
10-04-2011, 23:12
Thanks for the suggestions :) SE MI is a bit limited. Especially in varied terrain. It doesn't get much flater than here.

miloandotis
03-09-2012, 18:42
If you are looking for ideas for SE MI check out hikingmichigan.com. They are a casual hiking group but it would give you ideas for places you might not otherwise know are there. This year they have started a spur group for North Central. They look to be promising for more adventurous endeavours.

ScottP
03-10-2012, 09:27
Nifty. I grew up in Troy, and I never heard of that park. Maybe I'llcheck it out next time I visit home