PDA

View Full Version : Vasque rant

ATsawyer
09-12-2011, 18:14
The soles on my low mileage Vasque Wasatch boots failed completely this weekend. In talking with another guy a trailhead this weekend, he mentioned that he had the same boots and they failed in the same place. A quick query of the REI website regarding that particular boot was a rantfest with reviewer after reviewer describing the exact same FAIL. Many of those posts included photos of the split or detached soles. I'm surprised that REI would continue selling such a crappy product, especially since they offer full refund on their boots (ordered a pair of Lowas with my refund).

Blissful
09-12-2011, 18:29
I'd also take it up with Vasque too.

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 18:47
I just want to throw something in here to go along with Blissfuls reply. When you call these companies, dont go off on the customer service people. TOO many times have I read things here or heard people on the trail talk about how they blew up on the phone at these reps. Im not saying the OP did that. Im just passing along this point that when you are disatisfied with a companies product, calling and yelling at someone is not the way to handle it. Treat them the way you would want to be treated, please and thank you.

Rant over, sorry this happned to you Sawyer. I have seen a few pairs of these boots end up on the resale shelf at the EMS here in town with the same problem.

Buffalo Skipper
09-12-2011, 18:53
I do seriously look at product reviews from REI and Trailspace.com before I purchase any regular manufactured procuct. Carefully read the complaints and look for repeat complaints on the same things. Rants about fit on boots, I take in stride, as different foot shape can affect comfort and fit. But if I see repeated comments about breakage or manufacturing quality, I research even deeper on other sites.

So far, I have not been let down by this technique (or at least, I haven't been surprised ;)).

Chubbs4U
09-12-2011, 19:07
Usually if I find a product doesnt live up to expectations, an email or a polite call usually resolves the problem. I have had many of interactions with companies and usually this works. If not and you feel that you have been wronged, the BBB helped me out before also.

STICK
09-12-2011, 20:34
I do seriously look at product reviews from REI and Trailspace.com before I purchase any regular manufactured procuct. Carefully read the complaints and look for repeat complaints on the same things. Rants about fit on boots, I take in stride, as different foot shape can affect comfort and fit. But if I see repeated comments about breakage or manufacturing quality, I research even deeper on other sites.

So far, I have not been let down by this technique (or at least, I haven't been surprised ;)).

I do the same...if possible I look everywhere for bad reviews and see if there is a common thread. I am not too worried about the positive comments cause I obviously already like the product...

generoll
09-12-2011, 21:26
Vasque underwent a quality change when it moved from Italy to China. Funny, the price stayed the same.

ATsawyer
09-12-2011, 21:31
Mine was a WB rant/warning. When I went to REI today I calmly explained the issue, stated that it made the company look bad, and politely asked for and was given a refund. Faulty boot soles are certainly not the responsibility of the REI sales staff.

Chaco Taco
09-12-2011, 21:41
Which is why I said this wasnt directed at you. Just used your thread to make a point. I am also talking from experience. ;)

Lone Wolf
09-12-2011, 21:47
be thankful y'all can walk. such whinin'......

Shooting Star
09-12-2011, 21:56
The soles on my low mileage Vasque Wasatch boots failed completely this weekend. In talking with another guy a trailhead this weekend, he mentioned that he had the same boots and they failed in the same place. A quick query of the REI website regarding that particular boot was a rantfest with reviewer after reviewer describing the exact same FAIL. Many of those posts included photos of the split or detached soles. I'm surprised that REI would continue selling such a crappy product, especially since they offer full refund on their boots (ordered a pair of Lowas with my refund).

Just curious - how many miles did you put on these boots and how long did you have them?

I got a pair of Wasatches about 4 years ago. I put about 700 miles of AT and
state park hiking on them and after 3 years of use, the vibram tread developed
cracks through to the insole under the ball of my foot on both boots. I replaced
them with the Gore-Tex XCR version of the boot, but did not get as good of a
fit and recently bought another pair of Wasatchs. I love the fit, but we'll see
how the boot holds up. I tried on Asolos and Merrills but could never get the
right heel and toe box fit.

Funny thing is that I bought a pair of Vasque Flytes in the mid 80's - they're
the older version of the Wasatch. I retired them after about 10 years of use
because the cushioning was shot. The tread never developed any cracks.

LIhikers
09-12-2011, 22:39
I've been wearing Vasque Clarion boots for years. I find them to be so comfortable that I wear the same pair around the house, to work in, and for hiking. I get about a year to 18 months out of a pair and I've never had a major failure. Maybe give the Clarion a try.

nehiker
09-12-2011, 23:00
My Vasque Breeze XCR boots turned out not be waterproof at all, after about 50 miles (the first time I hiked in them in the rain). My socks got soaked as soon as I stepped into a paddle which went just above the outsole. Without stepping into any paddles, they got soaked after 5-10 minutes of walking through wet grass. After another 50 miles, the outsoles started to peel off at the front of both boots; this got quite a bit worse after another 100 miles. This was on the LT, after 35 miles on the AT in PA. They were also much more slippery when wet than any other boots I had worn (and I did slip several times rather unexpectedly). I have seen somewhere that rocks in northern VT are supposedly more slippery than elsewhere, but I have also seen complaints from others about these boots being slippery when wet.

Sarcasm the elf
09-12-2011, 23:18
Just curious - how many miles did you put on these boots and how long did you have them?

cracks through to the insole under the ball of my foot on both boots. I replaced

I've gone through two pairs of Vasque Gore-Tex XCR's (are they also called Breezes?) Both pairs developed the same cracks in the sole around the ball of the foot that you describe, however they did so after 18 months of daily use and section hiking, which I've been told is the average useful life of a lightweight hiking boot.

I've now switched to hiking in a pair of their Velocity trail runners that I got on clearance. They are holding up well after 6 months of daily use and 170 miles of backpacking.

In regards to the OP, I'd pissed too if that happened to me on the trail, I hope the replacement model works out.

Lostone
09-12-2011, 23:34
Ya know, I have had boots fail, alot of boots as a matter of fact.

Merrel yep they failed after 5 years and not sure how many miles.

Vasque yep they failed too, left them in the tool box on my truck leaked for a couple of weeks and they were never right after that.

Every goretex boot I have ever owned leaked with a short couple of hundred miles on them.

Redwing, New balance, cabelas brand and even an ll bean boot all abused and failed. delaminating, soles peeling away from the boot carcass, eyelets pulling loose, seams failing, yep pretty hard on boots.

I will say that I am pretty pleased with my asolo's heavy leather with a gtx boot, strictly my winter boot but they definitely keep my foot dry. and have held up to three winters of hiking.

I do look at the reviews as well,

but I guess I view boots as consumables, not a life long investment.

chiefiepoo
09-12-2011, 23:43
]Mine was a WB rant/warning. When I went to REI today I calmly explained the issue, stated that it made the company look bad, and politely asked for and was given a refund. Faulty boot soles are certainly not the responsibility of the REI sales staff.

Well played and good outcome. I have a pair of the Wasatch GTX been wearing for 3 years and just over 500 miles. I like them for their fit and durable uppers. No problems so far. Soles are showing definite wear.

So is it a design problem or a manufavturing defect?
Why are some happy and some sad? With regard to delamination and sole separation my experience with another product(fire hose) suggests a potential direction of inquiry. Years ago I had ordered 1000' of a laminated hose for my department. After a year the hose was not delivering the anticipated volume of water. We cut up several setions and found that the inner layers had separated.
The manufacturer took it all back and began to trace the production history. Turned out that the adhesive used to bond layers had a relatively short shelf life once it was compounded. Adhesive mixed on Friday was being used on Monday production. Being partially on the way to being cured, the adhesive never made a bond that would hold long term or under severe service. They fixed that problem and all was well. With regard to boots, I have had two pairs of otherwise good quality boots fail because the soles came loose. Aways leaves me wondering if manufactures trying to use compromised adhesive is the cause of the disparate experiences we see reported.
[/QUOTE]

Tenderheart
09-13-2011, 13:00
be thankful y'all can walk. such whinin'......

Oh, we are not worthy.

Spokes
09-13-2011, 13:03
I am definitely not a fan of Vasque footwear and believe they should be banned by Federal law.

Buffalo Skipper
09-13-2011, 13:56
I am definitely not a fan of Vasque footwear and believe they should be banned by Federal law.

Spokes, don't beat around the bush. Tell us how your really feel.

Spokes
09-13-2011, 14:17
heheheheheheeeeee

Sassafras Lass
09-13-2011, 16:20
When you call these companies, dont go off on the customer service people. TOO many times have I read things here or heard people on the trail talk about how they blew up on the phone at these reps.

Absolutely.

I've worked retail/phone sales for years, and guess who gets any discount within my power? Cordial people, people who are quietly exasperated, people who've had a string of bad luck with us, people who are just desperate (yet nice) to get their issue resolved. I bend over backwards to make things right, and then some, for people who curb their frustration and aggression, and genuinely thank me for helping them. I do ridiculous prices that would make our vendors cry, free shipping on oversized items, free overnight/next day shipping, telling them about additional vendor coupons, whatever it takes.

ATsawyer
09-13-2011, 17:51

I had them a couple years, but only wore them occasionally. These were pretty low mileage boots. I have an ancient pair of Lowas that I hiked the first pair of Vasque soles bald on, had them re-soled at Rocky Mt. Resole and still wear them (though the stitching is all frayed and the leather's split in places). I did nothing unusual with those boots, just my standard four season trailwork on the AT.