PDA

View Full Version : One Week Hike Suggestions

rene
02-22-2005, 15:14
I plan to thru hike in spring of 06. I have several health issues ( diabetes, hypertension). My doctor has given his approval if I get myself in proper condition. I have already dropped 25 pounds and am down to 240. Anyway, I have time this summer to get away for a week. My son is stationed in Virginia and has offered to go with me. Any suggestions as to what leg of the AT I should attempt?
Thanks,
Rene

kentucky
02-22-2005, 15:20
I would say the SNP shanadoa national park,excuse the spelling!its not to hard plenty of help in case of emergency and has some very nice views!kentucky

tlbj6142
02-22-2005, 16:02
Any section between Erwin,NC to Perisburg, VA (including Damascus) is very nice. Though a bit more of a challenge than SNP.

Of course, you might run into Lone Wolf making you re-think the thru-hike.:D

kncats
02-22-2005, 16:04
I would second the recommendation for Shenandoah National Park. The AT is not too tough through there, there are good resupply options within the park itself and it is within a few hours of anywhere some one is likely to be stationed if they are in VA. Be careful though of trying to trying to do a circuit hike using the side trails there. While many people scoff at how easy SNP is while they are hiking the AT, the side trails are an entirely different matter. You're looking at major, steep elevation changes as the trail descends and ascends again to the ridgeline.

chris
02-22-2005, 16:24
While there are definitely prettier sections in VA, the SNP recommendation is probably the best. It is fairly easy (as these things go), fairly scenic, and there are lots of places to stop and get a snack.