PDA

View Full Version : Pondering Tent color - who knew

Ladytrekker
09-12-2011, 19:06
I have never really given tent color any thought. I have convinced myself to order a Lightheart tent and you can select the color you want. So, two thoughts crossed my mind. Do I want a colored tent like orange, red, lime green, etc that can be seen or do I want a tent that blends in for more of a stealth camping option. I now have totally over thought the issue and wanted to throw this out there for some input. I was actually thinking blaze orange with a blue bottom you know Florida Gator colors cause their my team. Give me WB wisdom please.

max patch
09-12-2011, 19:15
I use a tent that blends in and is hard to see, and a rain jacket that is as bright as possible so that I have something that is easy to see in case of emergency.

paistes5
09-12-2011, 19:26
Having had a very bright yellow tent and now have a much more stealthy one, go with the stealthy one.

rjhouser
09-12-2011, 19:32
Many who wish to reduce their impact on the environment opt for the more natural colored tent, claiming that they like a color which blends in with the surroundings and looks less out of place. It's a personal preference really. Although I did recently hear that bears are attracted to bright colored tents :p

Blissful
09-12-2011, 19:50
Mine is bright yellow. It's the only color it comes in. Used it SOBO. No issues with bears or anything else. My tent doesn't "impact" the environment anymore then a green tent would. Get the tent you want. :)

Sandy B
09-12-2011, 19:59
I am all about the 4 F's -- Form, Fit and Function (the other F is Fashion) when I was looking for a tent it was all about the first 3, and I was not looking at the colors. if the tent I wanted came with color options, I would go for the one that blended in the best. I think I would get tired of looking at a bright yellow tent, But as the saying goes, HYOH.
good luck

ChinMusic
09-12-2011, 20:08
I was actually thinking blaze orange with a blue bottom you know Florida Gator colors cause their my team.
You KNOW that would make you happy. Go for it.

Of course, I will think it's for the Fighting Illini...........

paistes5
09-12-2011, 20:10
I might be careful with Florida colors for the tent while in SEC country. Who know what one of us nice Bama fans might hang on it to attract bears. :-D

ChinMusic
09-12-2011, 20:16
Folks will think Gator Gump is back on the trail.........

hikerboy57
09-12-2011, 20:32
they might mistake you for a NY Met fan.

Ladytrekker
09-12-2011, 22:03
Thanks for the input and you made me laugh too.

Wise Old Owl
09-12-2011, 22:40
Wow guess what we discussed this thread before - synopsis... bright colors do attract bears in ALASKA as does old bear spray.... when they introduced Condors to the lower Grand Canyon, the juveniles thought the bright tents were something to tear up....Here is the worst thing

Backpacker Magazine - has a few "asses" that can' remember that they contradict each other... some claim that the bears are color blind and can tell.. folks - COLORBLIND means they MISS a few colors - not all..... so if its neon yellow, and the color blind bear cant see red... you are SOL. And the dork called an EDITOR doesn't remember or cant tell when an article is way off....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?76646-Do-bright-colored-tents-attract-bears

Archived from:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070613061110/http://www.backpacker.com/technique/article/0,1026,1647,00.htm
l

The "Blend In" Theory

New research suggests that bear bells don't work, and colorful tents and clothing may attract bruins.

By David Peterson, October 2000

On some nights, Tom Smith has counted up to 30 bears around his tent. Granted, he works in Alaska's Katmai
National Park, a sanctuary more densely populated with brown bears (grizzlies) than anywhere else on Earth. In
such close quarters, Smith, a research wildlife ecologist with the U.S. Geological

Survey Alaska Biological Science Center, has instinctively sensed the value of "blending in." Bears, he reasons,
"are extremely curious animals. Therefore, any novelty in sight, scent, or sound is likely to grab their attention
and tempt them to investigate."

Smith's logic was dramatically confirmed when his boss ordered a switch to camouflage shelters because he
didn't like the "visual scar" their garish tents painted on the quiet landscape. "Immediately," says Smith, "bear
visitation to our camps decreased markedly. It didn't take a genius to realize our bright, yellow-and-blue tents
had been attracting bears."

No scientific studies had been conducted to test color vision in brown bears (although Alaskan bear biologist
Kellie Pierce had related that Yupik Eskimos warned him "not to wear red, orange, or other bright colors
because bears would come and get me"), so Smith undertook a series of zoo trials. His finding: Grizzlies can
distinguish colors.

Next, out on the tundra, he erected several brightly colored panels. While research is ongoing, preliminary
results are consistent with Smith's color premise. "At this point in my studies, although more research is needed,
I believe the safest choice is camouflage," advises Smith.

ChinMusic
09-12-2011, 22:45
LT - You headed to Alaska any time soon?

If not..........

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2011, 22:56
Of course, in order for this to be considered a fact, ALL other variables must be accounted for and ruled out as possible causes of bear attraction. I'd be especially interested in any possible scent differences between fabrics, dyes, washing solutions, storage and use before being put into the bear environment, etc. Remembering that bears have incredible senses of smell, the fact that a bear seems attracted by color may not be what is really happening. Not saying it isn't, but even Smith admits that at this time it's just an anecdotal incident.

rjhouser
09-12-2011, 22:59
damn the bears, full speed ahead

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 08:28
it doesnt matter what color your tent is if its draped in bacon.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2011, 08:49
it doesnt matter what color your tent is if its draped in bacon.
'Zactly !!!!!

Pedaling Fool
09-13-2011, 08:51
I hate to agree with the LNT freaks, but I like the colors that don't scream; you know the more earthy colors:D

Rain Man
09-13-2011, 09:04
Many who wish to reduce their impact on the environment opt for the more natural colored tent, claiming that they like a color which blends in with the surroundings and looks less out of place. It's a personal preference really.

Agreed. Seems a few years ago, the outdoor culture thought "bright" was the "right" way to go. That all seems to have changed now to the outdoor culture now thinking "blend in" is the better way to go. Think of highway billboards. Or, houses on a mountain side. Which grab your attention? The bright, garish ones. They certainly do impact the visual environment.

So, IMO, it's personal preference. Do you want to be seen and affect the visual environment? Or, do you want to blend in to the natural background? Your choice.

I like the suggestion of taking a bright rain coat if you take a "natural color" tent.

Rain:sunMan

ChinMusic
09-13-2011, 09:29
I don't worry about whtat color other folks tents are.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2011, 09:37
I don't worry about whtat color other folks tents are.
Me neither. Now the color of their poles, water filters, and dogs - well that's a different story.:D

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 09:40
what does it matter the color, as long as its expensive, it must be good.

Slosteppin
09-13-2011, 11:25
If all your camping is on the AT and in designated camping areas if probably dosen't matter.

Most of my camping in away from designated campsites and a few hundred feet off trail. My tents are a very neutral gray. One time it took me nearly an hour to find my tent when I walked a few hundred feet away at night. Now all my tent 'ropes" are very reflective and I leave a small light turned on when I walk away after dark.

Ladytrekker
09-13-2011, 11:57
That is why this became a dilemna I thought how fun to have a colorful custom tent but when I actually started putting colors together I just could not push the order button. I too lean towards something that blends in. I know that nemos are lime green and marmots are orange but I have always in the past purchased muted colors and will probably do that this time but wanted other opinions. Thanks.

sbhikes
09-13-2011, 11:58
I've found that color matters a lot. A green tent seems dark and gloomy to me and when I go outside, the world is stained pink until my eyes readjust again. A gray tent is bright and cheerful on the inside but it does let a lot of moonlight in during the full moon. I much prefer gray.

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2011, 12:03
That is why this became a dilemna I thought how fun to have a colorful custom tent but when I actually started putting colors together I just could not push the order button. I too lean towards something that blends in. I know that nemos are lime green and marmots are orange but I have always in the past purchased muted colors and will probably do that this time but wanted other opinions. Thanks.Do you have a lot of problems choosing Easter Eggs colors as well? ;) :D
I like muted colors that blend in. Grays, browns, earthy greens, camo. There is enough garish color in the world once back on main street.

Ladytrekker
09-13-2011, 12:11
Do you have a lot of problems choosing Easter Eggs colors as well? ;) :D
I like muted colors that blend in. Grays, browns, earthy greens, camo. There is enough garish color in the world once back on main street.

I may but won't divulge my favorite easter egg colors.

bulldog49
09-14-2011, 14:13
Many who wish to reduce their impact on the environment opt for the more natural colored tent, :p

Jibberish!

"Do you have a lot of problems choosing Easter Eggs colors as well?
I like muted colors that blend in. Grays, browns, earthy greens, camo. There is enough garish color in the world once back on main street. "

Agree 4EB.

Buffalo Skipper
09-14-2011, 15:46
Lady Trekker, If you are concerned about critters, especially those alledgedly dangerous ones. Use strong, powerful colors that any animal would recognize, and flee from you in fear. Try garnet and gold. That'll keep the rif-raf at bay. ;)

LDog
09-14-2011, 16:13
sbhikes raises a good point. Whereas I would vote to be stealthy, the color of the light inside the tent might be an issue if you're stuck in it for a prolonged period, like during a storm. Yellow tents will be pretty cheerful on the inside, a light green is calming, grey is neutral, red would likely turn you into a crazed ax-murderer.

And we don't need more of those out there ...

wnderer
09-14-2011, 20:11
I've heard black flies like blue. Of course my backpack and pack cover are blue. I never get the color I want. It's either out of stock or not my size or not the ones on sale. I ordered a red-orange raincoat and ended up with a forest green raincoat. I do have a bright yellow tent. Maybe hunters will be less likely to shoot at my tent.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2011, 08:48
So, two thoughts crossed my mind. Do I want a colored tent like orange, red, lime green, etc that can be seen or do I want a tent that blends in for more of a stealth camping option.

I'd like to see you or somone stealth camping in the Devil's Millhopper.

NotYet
09-15-2011, 08:49
If you ever need to camp somewhere where you don't want others to see you, it's good to have colors that don't stick out.

scope
09-15-2011, 09:33
As for the exterior, I prefer seeing a bright colored tent on the trail so I can see it from a distance. That way I know its there and can be respectful in terms of being quiet as I come upon it, which of course really only applies to early a.m., sometimes early evening. So, if you're in the tent sleeping late (or early), then I can be stealthy. This mainly applies to being in a group of hikers, but also discourages me from belting out some Michael Bolton if I'm hiking solo on the trail while I'm passing by. :p

But, if you'd rather I not notice you, then get the earthy, stealthy colors.

As for the interior, if you want the morning light to wake you, then its possibly better to get bright colors. Any color is going to brighten up with sunlight directly on it, but when you're in the trees, the filtered, indirect morning sunlight will brighten much faster with lighter colors.

If you're like me and love pulling the curtains in a hotel room, cranking the a/c, and sleeping until 2, then maybe black is good! Either way, its about what the colors do for you more than anything else. If blue and orange is your thing, I think it kicks ax. If you just don't care much about colors yourself, then at that point it might be wise to go with more subdued colors.

Doc Mike
09-15-2011, 11:02
I would pick camo. Then you are stealthy and have the grays and greens inside. Don't know if thats an option but thats my .02

Ender
09-15-2011, 11:14
I will say when inside of a tent, a bright tent will make it (obviously) brighter inside. That can be really nice on a dark cloudy day. Once night hits though, color doesn't matter much.

I tend to like light, but not bright colors. So a light blue or light green, as opposed to a bright orange or bright yellow, or a dark olive green. They lighten up the inside of the tent, but still blend into the woods

Blissful
09-15-2011, 12:00
LT - You headed to Alaska any time soon?

If not..........

Shoot and there I was in Yellowstone NP where grizzlies kill, in my yellow tent....
Oh well.

Ladytrekker
09-15-2011, 12:18
I'd like to see you or somone stealth camping in the Devil's Millhopper.

I was bike riding the Gainesville Hawthorne Trail and saw bikers with tents in the woods do you know if that is regularly tolerated there?

Destiny2012
09-15-2011, 12:33
One night when in my tent waiting to go to sleep, I thought what a bear would do if I made a 'bear shaped' tent how a bear would react. I know they make a bear shaped sleeping bag, so a bear shaped tent would complete the set.

The only bear shaped tent I could find online is this kids one, but it is a comical bear, not a realistic one.

My best guess is that if one were in a bear shaped tent that is as close to looking like a bear as possible, this could be the result:

Gray Blazer
09-15-2011, 13:07
I was bike riding the Gainesville Hawthorne Trail and saw bikers with tents in the woods do you know if that is regularly tolerated there?

Some of that trail goes through Paynes Prarie State Preserve and I would think campers would not be allowed there. The answer is I don't know. A lot of homeless people used to live near the Prarie in tents. I would be careful.

LDog
09-15-2011, 13:24
A dark colored tent will be warmer inside with the sun beating on it. Good during the winter, not so good during the dog days of summer.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2011, 07:58

I'm sure you heard about the trouble out there yesterday or the day before. It's just not a place I would go alone.

moytoy
09-21-2011, 08:29
My new Nemo OBI 1p will be here next week. It only comes in one color kind of a pea green. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the color but the price was right. $200 My old tents are all forrest green. Oh well.

XCskiNYC
09-26-2011, 22:06
Is it still part of LNT to have subdued colors? From the NY/NJ Trail Conference Fourteenth Edition AT map of 1998: "Buy gear in subdued, forest colors."

But the LNT site http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php currently makes no mention of gear color.

Pedaling Fool
09-27-2011, 08:38
Is it still part of LNT to have subdued colors? From the NY/NJ Trail Conference Fourteenth Edition AT map of 1998: "Buy gear in subdued, forest colors."

But the LNT site http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php currently makes no mention of gear color.
Look under the "Be Considerate of Other Visitors" (click on Details (+)) and you'll see this:

"Bright clothing and equipment, such as tents can be seen for long distances are discouraged. Especially in open natural areas, colors such as day-glow yellow are disturbing and contribute to a crowded feeling; choose earth-toned colors (ie. browns and greens) to lessen visual impacts."

scope
09-27-2011, 08:55
I think its fine to try to be considerate in this manner, but the fact is that not all tents come in "earth-toned" colors, and while there are many tents to choose from, they are not all made the same and just because a tent is right for you and only comes in orange/yellow (i.e. Hubba), that doesn't make you inconsiderate for using it where ever you want to. IMHO