PDA

View Full Version : Can you monitize your love of hiking?

Rusty Nail
09-12-2011, 20:56
Is there such a thing as a professional hiker? With the thought of "if you love your job you will never work another day of your life" I wonder who or how many have figured a way to make hiking their job. Obviously Ridge Runners and Park Rangers spend much of their time on the clock in the woods, but what other ways could one become a professional hiker?

My entrepreneurial mind never take a day off and these are the things I wonder while trekking in silence. Immediately I think about Philmont, which I believe is on a state park. Why are there not more of these? A high adventure type camp with experienced "pro's" leading the way teaching good habits and helping with problems. This seems like a descent business model. If there is a slack pack company who will help you thru Georgia with nothing more than a light day pack (they even supply one to you), why not a hiking guide company on the major US trails.

Is money making and hiking two completely separate things? They can't be, most of the cottage companies are hikers who came up with a better solution to a problem.

This will clearly take a few more miles to figure out.

hikerboy57
09-12-2011, 21:07
their are so many trail clubs that offer many of the services you speak of on a volunteer basis. In additon, Amc and quite a few others have guided trips, just list yourself somewhere as an experienced guide, familiar with any area you're actually an expert on, take out some ads in related publications. Theres no end to the amount of guide services already out there, so you'd mostr likely have to have a particular niche that needs to be filled for you to have some financial success.One of my freinds I take on dayhikes once asked if I considered running boot camps, giving guided hikes that give you a great workout(she calls my hikes Andys Death Marches) For me, hiking is worth more than anything I get paid to do. if I got paid to do it , it becomes "work" and Im afraid I wouldnt get out of it anywhere near as much as the bad advice I consistently offer for free.Guiding? maybe you make some money. Backpacking? Priceless!

Lone Wolf
09-12-2011, 21:10
monitize? is that a word?

restless
09-12-2011, 21:11
guide book writer, wilderness skills instructor, backcountry guide, outdoor gear rep/manufactuer, wilderness ranger, trail construction, wilderness and backcountry ranger, outdoor photographer...I'm sure I left out many but these are just a few professions that come to mind.

sbhikes
09-12-2011, 21:18
Rather than make hiking your job, why not just try Early Extreme Retirement.

BobTheBuilder
09-12-2011, 21:19
Your entrepreneurial mind is flawed. Hiking has no value except as recreation. It is, in fact, the ultimate act of selfishness, truth be told.

couscous
09-12-2011, 21:21
Monetize .. turn into money.
http://www.andrewskurka.com
comes to mind.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

WingedMonkey
09-12-2011, 21:22
Philmont was never a state park or state owned land. The core of it was part of a private ranch owned by Oklahoma oilman, Waite Phillips who donated it to the Boy Scouts.

Rusty Nail
09-12-2011, 21:26
Completely agree with it becoming "work" and not enjoying it anymore. This all started with seeing a storefront for rent directly across from the hostel at DWG. The wheels have been turning ever since. With the amount of people from NYC and Metro NJ flocking to the Poconos every weekend... well you get the idea. Not that I want to do this, but it sounds possible.

Scratch
09-12-2011, 22:08
I've met guides who create a multitude of interesting hikes for multiple clients. For instance, there was one who had a wine tasting hike. There was another who guided someone on the GA section of the AT because the guy wanted a vacation. There are so many ways to be a hiking guide. You need to be a great talker too. I would just suggest making some different topic hikes and start advertising as a guide. You never know what people will want to pay money for until you try.

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2011, 22:34
Ultimately, the difference between professionals and amateurs is that professionals get paid/make money from what they do. But nobody is going to part with their money just because someone else is walking. In that sense, there probably are NO true professional hikers. Rather, some hikers generate income by writing books and publishing guides, speaking, etc. Guys like Skurka come to mind, as does WF (that should generate some comments) and a few others such as Colin Fletcher and Ed Garvey. Without the hike, there would be no story though, so both skills are required. Thousands of people have hiked as far as the four I mentioned, but few if any have equaled their financial success. The difference is in the writing/story/marketing. Of course, in the sense that professionals derive their livelihood from their activities , the guy a lot of hikers love to hate, Bill Bryson, probably has them all beat if one looks at the revenue stream generated by a hike.

DapperD
09-12-2011, 22:46
Is there such a thing as a professional hiker? With the thought of "if you love your job you will never work another day of your life" I wonder who or how many have figured a way to make hiking their job. Obviously Ridge Runners and Park Rangers spend much of their time on the clock in the woods, but what other ways could one become a professional hiker?<BR><BR>My entrepreneurial mind never take a day off and these are the things I wonder while trekking in silence. Immediately I think about Philmont, which I believe is on a state park. Why are there not more of these? A high adventure type camp with experienced "pro's" leading the way teaching good habits and helping with problems. This seems like a descent business model. If there is a slack pack company who will help you thru Georgia with nothing more than a light day pack (they even supply one to you), why not a hiking guide company on the major US trails.<BR><BR>Is money making and hiking two completely separate things? They can't be, most of the cottage companies are hikers who came up with a better solution to a problem. <BR><BR>This will clearly take a few more miles to figure out.The last time I heard the term "professional hiker" used was in the thread "100 Hiker Challenge":http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?47929-100-Hiker-Challenge

Blissful
09-12-2011, 22:47
Y Hiking has no value except as recreation. It is, in fact, the ultimate act of selfishness, truth be told.

Really....

I'd think sitting in front of one's computer with the games, playing angry birds on a smartphone or watching reality TV to fill that bill nicely.

I hardly think taking kids out hiking is making them indulge in acts of selfishness. It makes them better people. The electronic age has killed them if anything. It is selfish and its addictive like a recreational drug

Hiking has made me a better person for having done it. And I feel better about myself too so I can then make others feel better and not be to them an overweight, frumpy, mean, perimenopausal, flabby grump.

Blissful
09-12-2011, 22:49
I've met guides who create a multitude of interesting hikes for multiple clients. For instance, there was one who had a wine tasting hike.

A wine tasting hike! That's got to be a new one for me. Never heard of that one.

Mags
09-12-2011, 23:05
A wine tasting hike! That's got to be a new one for me. Never heard of that one.

I've lead Full Moon Fondue Hikes (packed in chocolate, fruit and made double boiler),, Full Moon Wine and Cheese Socials, October-Fest Themed Hikes (packed in a grill), Cocktail Hour Hikes...

Never thought of charging for them.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?54722-How-I-spend-my-almost-full-moon-evenings..

I missed my calling. :)

(I did meet the woman I am marrying on a full moon hike, though...)

chiefiepoo
09-12-2011, 23:13
Can you monitize your love of hiking ?

Yes, but then you are going to have to deal with people.

WingedMonkey
09-12-2011, 23:23
I guess you could say professional executives of hiking organizations like the Florida Trail Association, or the Appalachian Trail Conservancy make a living from hiking. But most of them don't get to do much actual hiking. They are too busy raising money.

johnnyblisters
09-12-2011, 23:24
I was a Ridgerunner for a few years, you get paid to hike (and lots of other stuff...:rolleyes:). You don't get paid much, but its enough to keep hiking!

4eyedbuzzard
09-12-2011, 23:28
Really....

I'd think sitting in front of one's computer with the games, playing angry birds on a smartphone or watching reality TV to fill that bill nicely.

I hardly think taking kids out hiking is making them indulge in acts of selfishness. It makes them better people. The electronic age has killed them if anything. It is selfish and its addictive like a recreational drug

Hiking has made me a better person for having done it. And I feel better about myself too so I can then make others feel better and not be to them an overweight, frumpy, mean, perimenopausal, flabby grump.

I think many people hear the word selfish and immediately associate it with a purely negative connotation, which is a value judgement, not the true definition. Most things we do in life are selfish or self serving, at least to some degree. They have to be, or we probably wouldn't survive. Hiking is selfish, just like so many of these other activities. You go off, pretty much abandon most other people and things for a while, and concentrate on walking and a simpler existence because you want to and you enjoy it. You don't hike for anyone else or to satisfy anyone else's wants or needs but your own (selfish) ones. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. As you note, you are a better, happier person as a result.

Slo-go'en
09-12-2011, 23:38
Back in my serious "mountian bum" days, I spent a couple of seasons working RMC and GMC caretaker jobs. Caretaking isn't something you can make a long term career out of, or make much money doing, but I dragged it out to last 3 summers, two falls and a winter.

Toli
09-12-2011, 23:43
Monitize... Turn to money...
http://jenniferpharrdavis.tumblr.com/
http://www.blueridgehikingco.com/
Comes to mind...

MannDude
09-13-2011, 01:02
Heh', I currently own a non-hiking related company (IT Industry) and am planning my hike for 2013.

I'll be bringing my work with me, so i'll still be making money on the trail wherever I can setup camp with a Verizon Wireless cell signal. Will probably be posting my experience / photos on our company blog too, which alone will create some interest in my business from others in our field as they'll be curious to see how I manage to keep up-to-date and in the loop with my company as I live in the woods for 5 months. I'll also be reviewing parts of my 'mobile office' and other things too, so it'll be a nice little blog to follow for those into hiking, into business, into technology, into reading my rants/rambles.

So long as staff don't neglect their duties because i'm out in the woods, i'm not really 'needed' other than to consult with some larger clients and pay some invoices that are in my name. I'd love to participate in a Skype conference call while on top of a mountain somewhere, my backdrop sure as hell will be more interesting than their office backgrounds :p

Rusty Nail
09-13-2011, 06:53
Maintaining you current job while hiking is not really hiking for pay, Its more of a remote office with horrible signal, spotty 3/4G, no wifi and limited power. LOL

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 07:29
I think many people hear the word selfish and immediately associate it with a purely negative connotation, which is a value judgement, not the true definition. Most things we do in life are selfish or self serving, at least to some degree. They have to be, or we probably wouldn't survive. Hiking is selfish, just like so many of these other activities. You go off, pretty much abandon most other people and things for a while, and concentrate on walking and a simpler existence because you want to and you enjoy it. You don't hike for anyone else or to satisfy anyone else's wants or needs but your own (selfish) ones. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. As you note, you are a better, happier person as a result.I look at hiking as more of a way to feed the soul. By detaching, at least for a little while, from the consumerism, politics, media, and simply enjoying the experience, to have a direct experience with the natural world, helps us keep balance. selfish? im not sure. self centered?maybe, but so far most of the hikers Ive met through my life seem to be a bit more caring, both of the environment and each other, than those who've never taken a walk in the woods.I think it makes us better people. I deal with people all day, every day in retail, and its necessary for me to take that walk, alone, just to keep some balance. and its a great workout.

bobp
09-13-2011, 09:50
My entrepreneurial mind never take a day off and these are the things I wonder while trekking in silence. Immediately I think about Philmont, which I believe is on a state park. Why are there not more of these? A high adventure type camp with experienced "pro's" leading the way teaching good habits and helping with problems. This seems like a descent business model. If there is a slack pack company who will help you thru Georgia with nothing more than a light day pack (they even supply one to you), why not a hiking guide company on the major US trails.

Give your entrepreneurial mind a rest -- it is misleading you :^) . I was just at Philmont this summer, so I have some clue about what I'm saying. Philmont is a ranch run by the Boy Scouts of America, donated by Waite Phillips (no relation, alas), who started the oil company that would become ConocoPhillips, the 3rd largest "integrated energy" company in the U.S. and the 5th largest refiner in the world (in other words, he had a couple of quarters to rub together and then some). Philmont rangers, who hike out with you for 3 days (after that, you and your Scouts are on your own -- "try not to die out there, but if you do die, look good doing it") and show you the ropes, are generally recruited from the ranks of super-Scouts (Eagle Scout - check, High Adventure experience - check, all sorts of special BSA training - check. ), and are generally pretty young (find one who is 25, and you've found a geezer :^) ). They are great guys (and gals), but they generally aren't supporting a family.

In fact, the Philmont "business model" largely stinks from a money-making perspective. Waite Phillips was a smart enough businessman to know this, and he thoughtfully donated a fully occupied office tower in Oklahoma (sold by the BSA some time ago, with the proceeds kept in trust) to provide sufficient income to operate the ranch. So, if you happen to know a wealthy oilman who will donate a large plot of land and a perpetual source of income to you, you too can hike for a living :^) :^) :^)

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 09:53
all you need is a dollar and a dream!

Mags
09-13-2011, 11:42
I was envious of people who have 'cool jobs' in the outdoors.

Then a cold splash of reality hit me in the face.

You can work odd-ball seasonal jobs. (Adrianna's friend is a seasonal LEO ranger in Grand Teton) to scrape together a living. But after a while, most people get sick of living this way. If you are lucky, the seasonal jobs can lead to a full time job.

Many of the people who have the 'cool jobs' past their 20s tend to be subsidized in some way (note I did not say ALL) esp. if the seasonal jobs do not lead to a full time job. What do I mean subsidized? I know two people who are full time outdoor writers. I thought that was WAY cool. Then I realized one person's husband is a full time web developer ($$$$). The other person? Her parents pays the mortgage.

So on for another person who works for a trail org full time. Another person who does out-reach with a local outdoor group, etc.

You can work the cool outdoor jobs....you just have to accept a modest standard of living. Or be lucky enough to be born into a well heeled family. :)

The other options is one SBHikes mentioned: RETIRE EARLY! Work your rear-end off, save money and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Another option that a good friend does (and I am looking into) is work like a dog for 5-7 months doing contract work and then live off the money for 6 months doing fun things.

Different options anyway!

Chaco Taco
09-13-2011, 11:51
We have def had bourbon tasting hikes but it was completely unintentional. Hikers just hiked out with different kinds of bourbon so we all sampled:sun

sbhikes
09-13-2011, 11:55
Yeah, I wasn't kidding about the early retirement thing. Try to work it out so that you are saving at least 3/4 of your income. Eat beans and rice and live in your truck or in a tiny apartment within walking distance of your job. Work two jobs if you have to. Do this for 5 years or however long it takes to save up a few hundred grand and then become a capitalist living off the interest/dividends. People do it but these people tend to forgo wasting money buying useless crap, something most people are unwilling to do. By useless crap we're talking about paying for internet, tv, cellphones, electronic stuff, paying other people to fix your things when you could do it yourself, buying pre-made food, eating out, eating expensively, buying anything new, owning a car. Of course, you can do gradations of this but it'll take longer than 5 years to get there.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

Chaco Taco
09-13-2011, 11:56
I like to think of hiking as my outlet from my real life. Some people try to make a living off the trail but seem to just get by. A very few make a "living". I think there is some truth to the statement of it being an act of selfishness but also agree with Blissful that it can be a selfless act with kids and such. I find many hikers to have a sense of entitlement, esp thruhikers.

Sly
09-13-2011, 12:27
Your entrepreneurial mind is flawed. Hiking has no value except as recreation. It is, in fact, the ultimate act of selfishness, truth be told.

Hiking is the ultimate act of selfishness? Really? How about masturbation?

4eyedbuzzard
09-13-2011, 12:48
I usually try to explore most angles, but I must admit I never saw that coming.

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 12:53
did it rub you the wrong way/

peakbagger
09-13-2011, 14:41
Living up in the whites I have encountered several folks over the years trying to make a living working outdoors hiking. They usually worked summers for AMC or other groups during college and when they graduate they usually work over the summer and into the fall in the whites and then reality sets in around October as soon as the leaf season stops. They have to get a rent and then find a winter job, usually working for the ski industry which covers them for until March, then its starve for a month or two and then time to work for the AMC, RMC or other groups as "senior" trail crew. They are still having fun and most likely have gotten into a long term relationship, possibly married/ possibly not. Then they go through another winter surviving off tourist industry wages. Usually that is about the point they realize that they cant afford anything more than a small apartment, the car they had through college is falling apart and they hope they dont have any medical issues as they are off their parents insurance and have none of their own. If they are in a relationship, they probably have had a child and then the lack of insurance really nails them. At that point 90% of the folks get a full time jobs elsewhere and they visit on occasion. A few lucky couples end up with one spouse working a full time job in the area (nurse, school teacher etc) for benefits and the other spouse gets to work in the woods. Alternatively, some have cash coming in from somewhere and can subsidize their lifestyle.

If they work hard enough for long enough they make the right connections and swap around to different non profits until they are earning a real living (or the trust fund checks keep them going) and then they end up running the AMC ;)

chief
09-13-2011, 14:45
Yeah, I wasn't kidding about the early retirement thing. Try to work it out so that you are saving at least 3/4 of your income. Eat beans and rice and live in your truck or in a tiny apartment within walking distance of your job. Work two jobs if you have to. Do this for 5 years or however long it takes to save up a few hundred grand and then become a capitalist living off the interest/dividends. People do it but these people tend to forgo wasting money buying useless crap, something most people are unwilling to do. By useless crap we're talking about paying for internet, tv, cellphones, electronic stuff, paying other people to fix your things when you could do it yourself, buying pre-made food, eating out, eating expensively, buying anything new, owning a car. Of course, you can do gradations of this but it'll take longer than 5 years to get there.
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/Why didn't I think of that - eat beans and rice/live in my truck for 5 or so years so I can afford to eat beans and rice/live in my truck for the rest of my life! Ain't life grand?

Mags
09-13-2011, 14:46
Alternatively, some have cash coming in from somewhere and can subsidize their lifestyle.

If they work hard enough for long enough they make the right connections and swap around to different non profits until they are earning a real living (or the trust fund checks keep them going) and then they end up running the AMC ;)

Trustafarians are what we call them....

jesse
09-13-2011, 15:09
Heh', I currently own a non-hiking related company (IT Industry) and am planning my hike for 2013.

I'll be bringing my work with me, so i'll still be making money on the trail wherever I can setup camp with a Verizon Wireless cell signal. Will probably be posting my experience / photos on our company blog too, which alone will create some interest in my business from others in our field as they'll be curious to see how I manage to keep up-to-date and in the loop with my company as I live in the woods for 5 months. I'll also be reviewing parts of my 'mobile office' and other things too, so it'll be a nice little blog to follow for those into hiking, into business, into technology, into reading my rants/rambles.

So long as staff don't neglect their duties because i'm out in the woods, i'm not really 'needed' other than to consult with some larger clients and pay some invoices that are in my name. I'd love to participate in a Skype conference call while on top of a mountain somewhere, my backdrop sure as hell will be more interesting than their office backgrounds :p

Good luck. IMHO combining work/hiking is a lose/lose situation.

hikerboy57
09-13-2011, 15:12
when you combine work with pleseure, its all just work.

garlic08
09-13-2011, 15:15
I keep sending out invoices per mile hiked, but so far nobody has paid them. So that doesn't work.

In the meantime, I can vouch for extreme early retirement. I worked (and saved) like crazy through my 20s and 30s, then quit at age 40, and haven't worked since. Keeping things simple was the key. Our lives are like our backpacks--they can be ultra-light or extremely heavy--they do the same job, but one's easier to support.

winnowedsoul
09-13-2011, 16:03
You could just be an AT sherpa...carry someone elses heavy pack ;-)

restless
09-13-2011, 17:35
Thought that in light of some of the comments, I would share a little of my personal history for those of you who don't know me, which is probably most of you.
In 1997, my marriage fell apart; I was 36 and had worked minimum wage retail jobs for 15 years. In order to clear my mind and decide where I was to go next, I took a seasonal job at LeConte Lodge in the Smokies. I also worked as a winter caretaker that year. While there, one of my co-workers who was the same age as I and a former thru-hiker, had worked in the outdoors since his early 20's. Caretaker at Stratton Pond. Long Trail patrol. Various trail crews-he was part of the crew that replace the roof on Chestnut Knob Shelter in the 90's. Sounded like a cool lifestyle, but I thought I was too old to be doing that kind of work. The next year, I worked for ATC in Boiling Springs. Then I spent two years working as a full time backcountry ranger at Mt Rogers NRA. Not a lot of money-$15/day and a place to stay-but it was there I learned the foundations of trail construction. Then I spent two seasons working for the Florida Trail Association. Then MATC. Then Cumberland Trail Conference in TN. I worked for a private trail contractor out of GA for a year. For a couple of years, I worked for this guy who owned 300 acres along the Gauley River in WV. Quite the playground as well. Then AMC. With each seasonal position, my experience grew. With each position, I seemed to be making more money than previously. I had no other means of support.If I wasn't working, I typically went hiking. You can live cheaply on the trail. I now work for the National Park Service in Shenandoah NP, in the trails division. Good money, definitely a "dream job" for most hikers. I hike every day, and get paid to do it, along with some work.

I'm not a trustafarian. I have no other means of income other than the jobs that I have worked at. This is not work I would have envisioned myself doing. In all honesty, I used to work in land surveying in my early 20's but hated being outside so I quit!

The moral of this story is that you can make a living out of hiking. Think outside the box, and be willing to start small. But keep at it, even when it just doesn't seem like things are working out. But I still feel like I'm too old to be doing this kind of work.

Mr. Toad
09-13-2011, 22:22
There are a lot of good perspectives offered here. It seems like the bottom line is that you have to consider what the tradeoffs are and if you are willing to make them. You can probably make a career related to hiking work, but it may not put your kids through college or seem as attractive when you're as old as I am. In my case, I hope to sell my business in a year or two and then do what I want, which will include a thru hike. On the other hand, I have been waiting for a long damn time, too long for many people. Barring that winning lottery ticket, you have to pick your poison.

wornoutboots
09-14-2011, 00:28
Randy & Sheri from "Get Out More" Backpacker magazine have a pretty sweet deal! They were discovered from thru hiking

MannDude
09-14-2011, 02:13
Maintaining you current job while hiking is not really hiking for pay, Its more of a remote office with horrible signal, spotty 3/4G, no wifi and limited power. LOL

Haha, true. But it'll be nice to know that i'll still be making money while away which will alleviate some of the financial strain while on the trail. I don't really want to have to bring a mobile office but it's pretty much the only way I'll be able to go. Just checkin' in when I get to towns and get coverage in the woods.

Chaco Taco
09-14-2011, 07:50
Randy & Sheri from "Get Out More" Backpacker magazine have a pretty sweet deal! They were discovered from thru hiking
They are awesome. See them at Trail Days and at various points along the trail.

One thing I have discovered is that if you are a young person and have the means to do so, try to work for the AMC on the Hut Croo or campsites. Everyone we have met at the sites this year and in the past are really awesome and love what they do. You run into the occasional spoiled brats that are just rude. If I had known about these jobs when I was a teenager, I wouldnt have even hesitated.

garlic08
09-14-2011, 09:14
Many have told me I should write a book about my hikes, supposedly to cash in on them. But I'm not a writer, nor have I done anything especially full of valor or ultra-exciting, nothing that hundreds or thousands of other thru hikers haven't done already, many times. The travel/adventure books I've enjoyed have been written by very talented writers who have a marketable "angle"--self-deprecating humor, incredible personal insight, superb photography skills, an ability to develop characters in print, an extremely traumatic event, etc.

I respect and patronize good travel writers. When I think of the hundreds of hours of writing and editing I would need for a decent manuscript, and the likely pittance in return, I'd rather do something else for better pay.

Mags
09-14-2011, 09:22
I'vee found that writing as a side hobby gives me much satisfaction. Between my website and the free lance articles I've done this past year, gives me a chance to make my passion at least a small part of what I do. But, if I were to dedicate myself full time to writing, improve my craft a bit to get to the next level (local paper vs a national magazine possibly?) of free lancing..hell, I'd starve. I need to marry someone who will support me a bit. Alas, my fiance' makes LESS money than me!!!! :D

One thing I have discovered is that if you are a young person and have the means to do so, try to work for the AMC on the Hut Croo or campsites. Everyone we have met at the sites this year and in the past are really awesome and love what they do. You run into the occasional spoiled brats that are just rude. If I had known about these jobs when I was a teenager, I wouldnt have even hesitated.

They like people who do volunteer work first from what I understand. Come to think of it, that's how people get MANY outdoor related jobs. Volunteer a few weeks on a trail crew, network and get to know people. For schlubs w/o connections (like me!), it is the best way to get these coveted jobs.

DapperD
09-14-2011, 21:13
http://earlyretirementextreme.com/

Why didn't I think of that - eat beans and rice/live in my truck for 5 or so years so I can afford to eat beans and rice/live in my truck for the rest of my life! Ain't life grand?Yeah why not live in a van down by the river:D.

Chaco Taco
09-14-2011, 22:35
yeah why not live in a van down by the river:d.

la dee freakin da:)

Trailbender
09-15-2011, 00:40
I think the key is to remain single and do what you want with your life. I'm not there yet, but working on it.