PDA

View Full Version : My Glasses fog up !!!

Rightfoot
09-13-2011, 12:38
There are times, especially when it is humid that my glasses fog up when hiking. I was curious what people use to help prevent this. Has anyone ever tried Rain X (used on auto windshields)?

Regards,

Rightfoot

VTATHiker
09-13-2011, 12:46
I don't wear glasses, but a little spit smeared around on my visor helps reduce fog when I ride the motorcycle - of course it's only temporary.

sonic
09-13-2011, 12:49
Hiking is one of the major reasons I got Lasik surgery. I know it seems to be an expensive cure for fogged up glasses, but in the long run, it has been cheaper for me. Now I can hike, kayak, swim, whatever and not have to worry about dropping my glasses, breaking them in the middle of nowhere, etc. not to mention the fog, sliding down my nose, always dirty problems. I couldn't wear contacts so this was a good decision for me.

Spokes
09-13-2011, 12:57
I wouldn't risk putting Rain-X on my polycarbonate prescription lenses. Try something like McNett Sea Gold Anti Fog (http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-54/028053/McNett-Sea-Gold-Anti-Fog---Defog.html) instead.

Scuba shops usually keep other brands of anti fog in stock.

Blissful
09-13-2011, 13:04
I had some issues in the rain, but when I changed my rain hat to the Outdoor Research one and not a baseball cap it went away.

Plodderman
09-13-2011, 13:52
I sympathsize with you. I have had that problem many times and now when it happens I take them off which leads to a whole new set of problems.

Pioneer Spirit
09-13-2011, 16:47
They make anti fog towelettes. We pass them out are work. Got a couple thousand of them in my outer office.Check bracomanufacturing.com magic safety products.

njordan2
09-13-2011, 18:16
I've good luck with rubbing a cigarette on the lenses. It make it look like rain-x on a windshield.
I do not know why it works; maybe there is just enough vegetable oil in the tobacco. It usually last all day in the rain.

generoll
09-13-2011, 18:32
do you really need to wear your glasses when hiking? I've just given up and put them in a case and only take them out if I need to read the map or in the evening when I'm cooking. I'm farsighted and can see fairly well without them. I find that as I go without my glasses my eyes somewhat adjust for distance. Reading is hopeless, but I can see the trail and blazes and even read signs as long as I'm not too close.

Sir-Packs-Alot
09-13-2011, 18:48
Use the product called "Cat Crap" - it comes in solid and spray forms and used by outdoorsman and military - works great!

lush242000
09-14-2011, 09:00
Use the product called "Cat Crap" - it comes in solid and spray forms and used by outdoorsman and military - works great!

I used cat crap on my ski goggles and it worked good. I haven't tried it on my eye glasses yet.

Cosmic_American
11-27-2011, 13:32
I'm getting these (http://www.rx-safety.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=231_232&products_id=1115)glasses with transition lenses along with a fog free coating. According to them you'll never have to worry about your lenses fogging up with this coating.

rmitchell
11-27-2011, 13:48
I had some issues in the rain, but when I changed my rain hat to the Outdoor Research one and not a baseball cap it went away.

+1 on the Outdoor Research rain hat. Also make a concious effort to exhale through your nose.

Ironbelly
11-28-2011, 08:40
CAt crap, found at any water sports or dive shop. Dish soap is a good substitute as well.

Papa D
11-28-2011, 08:44
A tiny bit of Dr. Bronners soap (I mean the most tiny little drop you can make) does a pretty good job. I also hike with a visor in the rain but I will say that my glasses are always a pain in the ayse -- good post.

mrclean417
11-28-2011, 11:03
do you really need glasses while hiking?

There's a difference between corrective lenses, reading glasses and I'm just blind without them. One day, maybe you'll understand. I can see fantastic with my bifocals. Far away, close up, just usually not while moving! Though I have found that tipping my head sideways clears everything up. Just looks a little funny walking around with my head on my shoulder.

One Half
11-28-2011, 18:59
Hiking is one of the major reasons I got Lasik surgery. I know it seems to be an expensive cure for fogged up glasses, but in the long run, it has been cheaper for me. Now I can hike, kayak, swim, whatever and not have to worry about dropping my glasses, breaking them in the middle of nowhere, etc. not to mention the fog, sliding down my nose, always dirty problems. I couldn't wear contacts so this was a good decision for me.

I did the same thing about 12 years ago. Best thing ever!