PDA

View Full Version : Arcteryx pack

restlesss
09-13-2011, 14:21
in my everlong search for the perfect pack... I came across the arcteryx axios 50. any one have anythoughts on the pack. i tried it on felt alright. just was hoping to get a pack under 3 lbs... please don't suggest any other packs to me just need thoughts on this one so i can attempt to keep it in the mix or rule it out. thanks for your help.

restlesss

Hooch
09-13-2011, 20:57
in my everlong search for the perfect pack... I came across the arcteryx axios 50. any one have anythoughts on the pack. i tried it on felt alright. just was hoping to get a pack under 3 lbs... please don't suggest any other packs to me just need thoughts on this one so i can attempt to keep it in the mix or rule it out. thanks for your help.

restlesssAccording to the Arc'teryx website, that pack weighs in at 1.55kg or 3.41lbs, so it's not far past your 3lb wish list. But, IMO, there's no reason for a 50L pack to weigh that much. HYOH, but I wouldn't even consider it.

Tabasco
09-13-2011, 21:11
I've got an Arc Teryx Bora 95 (buy a ULA CATALYST) that I love! It's bomb-proof (buy a ULA CATALYST) and holds everything nicely. I love the (un-friggingly believeably heavy) suspension and the really cool (un-friggingly believeably heavy) lid that comes with it. If I ever bought another (un-friggingly believeably heavy) pack, it would be an Arc Teryx! (buy a ULA CATALYST) but personally with the huge variety of other packs available (buy a ULA CATALYST) I would probably drop this (un-friggingly believeably heavy) out of the mix.

but that's just me,

Maddog
09-13-2011, 21:24
Leave it out of the mix! (buy a ULA Catalyst);):rolleyes:

Hooch
09-13-2011, 21:24
If you're looking for a low to mid volume pack, go with a ULA Circuit. Yeah, you said not to, but I did anyway. :D

bigcranky
09-13-2011, 21:28
Arc Teryx makes very nice packs. That one's not really all that heavy for 3000 cubic inches -- plenty of packs weigh 5 pounds or more for that capacity. (ULA Circuit.)

Chubbs4U
09-13-2011, 22:52
I have a catalyst which I love and I also use a REI flash 50 which is cheaper and under your weight limit but you dont want my opinion. I do think the pack is a little heavy.

vic_doom69
09-14-2011, 00:39
i had an axios 35. could easily do 3 days 2 nights with it for 3 seasons. i found the suspension in it to be mediocre. i ended up sending it back and getting the arrakis 40 cause i love the pivoting hipbelt (i also have an altra 65). the pack was well made, as is all arcteryx stuff.

restlesss
09-14-2011, 08:21
thanks for the input!!! I guess i will take it out of the mix. you rock!

Buffalo Skipper
09-14-2011, 08:30
Something odd is happening here. I own a ULA Circuit, and in fact, I am very happy with it. But I suddenly feel the inexplicable urge to purchase another ULA pack.

Tabasco
09-14-2011, 08:34
It's Peer Pressure, Buffalo. buy another ULA pack

Odd Man Out
09-14-2011, 11:48
Anyone recall Kevin Nealon's Mr Subliminal schtick on SNL?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR_oykGeGPc

Maddog
09-14-2011, 11:55
It's Peer Pressure, Buffalo. buy another ULA packI recently purchaced a ULA CDT and am currently trying make it work for another hike in 2013>:D

MyName1sMud
09-28-2011, 10:47
I've got an Arc Teryx Bora 95 (buy a ULA CATALYST) that I love! It's bomb-proof (buy a ULA CATALYST) and holds everything nicely. I love the (un-friggingly believeably heavy) suspension and the really cool (un-friggingly believeably heavy) lid that comes with it. If I ever bought another (un-friggingly believeably heavy) pack, it would be an Arc Teryx! (buy a ULA CATALYST) but personally with the huge variety of other packs available (buy a ULA CATALYST) I would probably drop this (un-friggingly believeably heavy) out of the mix.

but that's just me,
Might be just me... but I really want to buy a ULA Catalyst for some reason.

q-tip
09-29-2011, 10:36
Take a look at the Granite Gear Crown 60 coming out this spring. 3600 ci, 2 lbs 2 oz. I am buying this to repalce my
GG Vapor Trail. HYOH. PS. I used a n Arc Teryx bora 95 in India, way overkill but still a great expedition pack.

stranger
10-01-2011, 01:12
I also own a ULA Circuit but it's not my only pack, personally...I wouldn't buy another ULA just yet. They are very good for what they are intended to do, but in my experience that are quite limited in some key areas, like compression, having interchangable shoulder straps, the pre-bend in their stays is quite poor, some of the math on their designs doesn't line up too well, etc...Saying that, I do think they are the best overall pack right now for basic, non technical, trail hiking...like the AT. Their simplicity is amazing, that's why they work and that's why people love em. It just frustrates me cause they could be so much better if they had some key concepts down - but no pack is perfect.

ArcTeryx is an excellent pack company, but like others have mentioned, they tend to overbuild and overdesign things. So often, you end up with a heavy pack for the wrong reasons. Yes, some packs need to be heavy, an 80lb load up McKinley comes to mind, etc...Also in my experience, I have found their suspensions a tad soft for their price tag, eg - they could carry weight better.

Osprey and Granite Gear make very similar designs - I prefer Osprey but have always liked GG as well, but you can't choose what feels better on your back. In my opinion, the Aether series by Osprey is hard to beat, but again, a little heavy compared to ULA.

Gregory is another proven pack company, more so than any other on the market right now - but they have always had a little weight problem, the Z series is probably the overall lightest. Wayne Gregory is having less and less to do with his company these days, and they were bought again a few years back, so this could be good or bad, probably bad. But you can't go wrong with any of the packs listed above.

Don't listen too much to others on this topic, many people will point you to a single pack, ie ULA, or Granite Gear....it doesn't alwasy work like that. Like food, not everyone likes the same types of food.

Some people won't like ULA, but ONLY if they have the ability to accurately compare designs, ie - have the knowledge and know what to look for, plus have good quality comparisons right then and there. If someone doesn't know anything about packs, doesn't have a thousand miles of experience, it's hard to know what is good based on your own tuition.

However the good news about packs is that if it does feel good, then it probably is good.