PDA

View Full Version : Containers

Stir Fry
09-14-2011, 08:10
I have been looking for a Platapus type container in the 6 oz range to hold ,Hot sause, Olive oil, and such. I use small plastic bottles, but would like to try a flexable one.

grayfox
09-14-2011, 08:57
It might be possible to clean the container for GoGo Squeez applesauce well enough to carry small amounts of sauces or oils. They reseal well nd are about the right size. Here is a link: http://www.gogosqueez.com/

There may be other foods that now come in this type of container. I wish they were clear so that I could tell if the boiling water has cleaned them as well as I hope. I also let them soak with a mild bleach solution.

PaperCrane
09-14-2011, 12:07
im sure you already know about these but if you dont heres a link
http://www.rei.com/product/696007/coghlans-squeeze-tubes-package-of-2

Jim Adams
09-15-2011, 01:49
I've been trying to find the old style water bags, the kind that were a nylon sack with a webbing handle and a plastic bladder inside with a box wine type spout...my old ones were made by STEARNS...can't find them anywhere! Anybody out there have a location to purchase them?

geek

mister krabs
09-15-2011, 07:52
Look on the applesauce shelf at the grocery for this type of thing. http://www.gogosqueez.com/our-products/
Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

ekeverette
09-15-2011, 08:19
that was just what i was looking for... just ordered 2 pairs.... peanut butter/honey.... i'm set!

WingedMonkey
09-15-2011, 12:59
I've been trying to find the old style water bags, the kind that were a nylon sack with a webbing handle and a plastic bladder inside with a box wine type spout...my old ones were made by STEARNS...can't find them anywhere! Anybody out there have a location to purchase them?

geek

Let me know if your find them, all the Stearns stuff now is different. I still use mine and have one extra liner bag left. Also use the shower attachment. The nylon bag is getting worn, maybe I'll just have to remake it. I've hung that thing from many a tree.

OBXWaMi
09-30-2011, 21:07
Check the babyfood aisle for the small platypus type bag. I think they package baby juice that way.

4eyedbuzzard
09-30-2011, 23:41
Breast milk storage bags work well for such stuff. Double zip locks, don't leak, can be cleaned and reused but cheap enough to dispose of too. http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Breast-Milk-Storage-50-Count/dp/B00198I2WU

Don Newcomb
10-04-2011, 12:31
Whatever you settle on, I'd be sure to double (or triple) bag anything that holds either oil or hot sauce. Two items you don't want to break loose in your pack.

sarbar
10-10-2011, 18:39
IMO....the best way to carry messy condiments is a visit to Minimus.biz and stock up. No mess, no fuss.

hambone5126
10-19-2011, 00:22
IMO....the best way to carry messy condiments is a visit to Minimus.biz and stock up. No mess, no fuss.

i just visited the site for the first time and my eyes went wide and my jaw dropped like a kid on christmas. first i thought the tubes were cool, but minimus takes the cake.

sarbar
10-19-2011, 16:17
Hambone - you will like them! They ship fast and $20 gets free shipping. A great deal all around!

WingedMonkey
10-19-2011, 17:15
Minimus.biz is great and you can find a lot of hard to locate items, but remember, even small packs have a shelf life. Don't get to crazy in stocking up.

hobby
10-19-2011, 17:50

geek

i've used these for years
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80728

fill up once when setting up camp (keep untreated water in bag)
Holds enough without having to go back to water source

Blissful
10-19-2011, 19:02

geek

I know what you mean, I used to have one long ago. Liked it very much for weekend trips. Now I just use the Nalgene canteen for two or more hikers, esp when the other sprung a leak.

sarbar
10-20-2011, 10:31
Minimus.biz is great and you can find a lot of hard to locate items, but remember, even small packs have a shelf life. Don't get to crazy in stocking up.

Outside of mayo packets most have a life of a year, so yes one can stock up. The olive oil packets are fine for even 2 years....

TrilliumTrekker
10-20-2011, 18:02
REI has both 4 ounce and ounce "flat" containers with a flip top nozzle, and a more rigid round container. I think they are both Nalgene. My experience is both leak a little. It may be just that oil/squeeze butter makes the outside of the container greasy feeling and so I think it is leaking. Either way, I double bag them.

Tinker
10-20-2011, 18:16
The problem with flexible bottles is that they can be punctured or ruptured (by pressure, say, in a tightly compressed pack). You will need to store them in your cookset to prevent them from leaking. My son still has vegetable oil stains all over the foot of his $250.00 bag from a leaky oil bottle (and that wasn't even a soft container). Personally, I only use soft containers for water. If it leaks, there isn't any problem. For stove alcohol I use a hard bottle, and even that is on an outside pocket of my pack "just in case". Saving a couple of grams on a bottle, getting something which is not reliable, is not worth it to me.
Ymmv.

Ladytrekker
10-20-2011, 18:30
http://vapur.us/?gclid=CJ3yyean-KsCFQor7AodwmNJrg

I ran across these bottle recently I like that they come with a carabiner. Did not know if any of you have seen these.

sarbar
10-21-2011, 16:28
Any bottles, hard or flexible, should be bagged in a zip lock bag and preferably carried in something hard - a cook pot is good for that. Gives it a lot more protection.