PDA

View Full Version : Now this would stop my hike....

Tractor
02-22-2005, 18:47
...I have a nasty infection around a tooth right now. If this had happened while I was on the trail, I'd have to bail at the first opportunity, even it meant backtracking. I had never thought about dental health before a hike (nor mental for that matter), just basic physical health.

This is something I will think about getting checked more often now. Man am I glad I was not hiking when this came up.

Anyone ever had to bail due to tooth ache? Any hardcore "operations" on the trail (friend w/multitool perhaps)?

Tim Rich
02-22-2005, 18:59
...I have a nasty infection around a tooth right now. If this had happened while I was on the trail, I'd have to bail at the first opportunity, even it meant backtracking. I had never thought about dental health before a hike (nor mental for that matter), just basic physical health.

This is something I will think about getting checked more often now. Man am I glad I was not hiking when this came up.

Anyone ever had to bail due to tooth ache? Any hardcore "operations" on the trail (friend w/multitool perhaps)?

I wouldn't recommend any Tom Hanks dentistry out on the trail. A root canal might be able to save the tooth, but it's pricey. My wife had one a couple of weeks ago and it was over $900. Thank goodness the dental coverage paid all but about $100. Her case was not a full blown emergency, and the dentist had her take three advil three times a day for the week it took to get her in the office, so that could be enough to get you to a town.

Take Care,

Tim

orangebug
02-22-2005, 23:31
I'd use my emergency opiate and a broad spectrum antibiotic is I had a broken tooth or an abcess develop. Hopefully, I'd be able to get to a trail town and a trail friendly dentist within a day or two. I do pack clove extract, which makes a dandy temporary dental pain killer.

kncats
02-23-2005, 07:54
Oil of clove works great, but I'm not sure where you're going to find it along the trail if you didn't bring it with you. Dentists use gauze soaked in it to pack the hole left after an extraction. I've found it for sale at health/organic food stores. Usually any place that has a good selection of herbs will carry it.

MileMonster
02-23-2005, 08:16
I spent a fairly cold and snowy night in Cherry Gap shelter north of Mt Unaka. A thru-hiker named Double Weed broke a tooth the next morning on some frozen granola. OUCH! He had to leave the Trail. Not sure if he ever made it back...

kyerger
02-23-2005, 09:02
I think a swiss army knife would work...It would keep me on the trail...:banana

orangebug
02-23-2005, 11:50
The old Mom & Pop pharmacies in small towns will carry oil of clove. It comes in a very small vial, much like a perfume sample. It is a neglible sized and weight addition to my minimalist first aid kit.

JoeHiker
02-23-2005, 12:29
What exactly does oil of clove do for you?

yappy
02-23-2005, 12:48
I have always come back from a long hike with cavities etc.. so the time I am gonna try and take better care of my teeth. I may take one of those battery tooth brushes.. no jokes please .:).... and will FLOSS every day .. please hiking god let me actually do this....those little battery tbs.. work.. my teeth feel cleaner...:)

manzana
02-23-2005, 17:48
I had a terrible toothache last year. It hit suddenly and I could not eat nor sleep. The Dentist put me on Vitamin I , iBprofen. It reduces swelling and eliminates much of the pain. It might give you a couple/3 days of more hiking time to get you to town. Once again, Vitamin I! (I got a root canal as the ultimate solution)

manzana in Austin

orangebug
02-23-2005, 18:20
What exactly does oil of clove do for you?
It numbs the area, although initially, it is a bit "stimulating."

Tractor
02-23-2005, 19:09
Doc started me on doxycycline, offered to hook me up with some pain meds (i declined and an hour later regreted it...) and I'm taking ibuprofen for swelling/pain. Let's say I was out on the trail, and was taking the advil, I would still need to take care of the infection as soon as possible anyways right? I can imagine getting to a town within 3+/- days and finding a dentist. My problem would have been lack of insurance card. I will try to remember to bring that along on all next hikes! I dunno why I didn't before.....