PDA

View Full Version : Bannock (Camp Bread)

pcasebere
09-14-2011, 11:05
I'm wanting to gather different bannock recipes in one spot so that we can try each at home. At the end of this (say mid-October) a poll will be posted as to the tastiest bannock recipe submitted!

PaperCrane
09-14-2011, 11:59
Serves: Makes a thick 5" patty (serves two)

Storage Needs: None
Camp Prep Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1 tbsp baking powder
4 tbsp powdered milk
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oil or ghee or make sure you have a good non-stick pan (I prefer ghee for the added buttery flavor)

Optional

Raisins
Wheat germ
Cinnamon
2 tsp vegetable shortening (makes the bannock more flaky, reminds me of biscuits)
Anything else you might like in bread

At Home

Mix all ingredients with the exception of the oil or ghee (which will be used later to oil the pan if the pan being used). Put the mixed ingredients in a ziplock bag, it can also be handy to double bag it. By putting the zip-lock bag into another zip-lock of the same size, it helps to ensure the bag won’t pop in your pack and the second bag is great for holding the bannock for later once cooked.

At Camp

Put the mixed ingredients in a pot and mix it up with a spoon or stick.
Slowly add water as you mix the ingredients until you have a doughy consistency
Once it's all mixed, let it stand for about 5-10 minutes. This will allow time for the doe to rise a bit which will make for a lighter, thicker serving once you're done

Oil the frying pan and heat at about the lowest setting your stove can do. I use a MSR SimmerLite and before I make bannock I decompress the fuel (i.e. let the air out) and just pump it about 5 times. If you give too much pressure you'll end up burning it or having to hold the frying pan higher over the stove by hand.

Plop the doe into the frying pan and stretch it out to cover the bottom, or until it's as large around as you would like it (I usually make it about 5 inches around)

You'll want to make sure the oil or ghee is covering the bottom of the bannock so just kind of swoosh it around in the pan using quick swirling motions of the pan or rotate it with a spoon or stick.
Keep checking the underside of the bannock until it's a golden brown and when it is, it's time to flip it (you may want to re-oil the pan).
Cooking time is approximately 12-15 minutes

Notes
You can also cook the bannock over an open fire by wrapping it around the end of a stick and cooking it as you would a wiener or marshmallow. If preparing it in this fashion, ensure it isn’t too thick since you can only cook it on the one side and the outside may burn before the inside is cooked.

this was copy and pasted from http://www.maddythegoose.com

MyName1sMud
09-14-2011, 12:07
Man that sounds tasty

daddytwosticks
09-14-2011, 16:10
Decades ago, we use Bisquick. Can't remember if we added anything to it. Made it into a thin ribbon then cooked over hot coals. Cover in margarine. Man, it was so good at the end of the day! :)

pcasebere
09-17-2011, 18:25
..been toying around with MTG's recipe (above), and feel like the 1 tbs baking powder is a misprint for 1 tsp baking powder, but you decide.