PDA

View Full Version : How cold - Springer Mountain Thanksgiving

PapaGarrettP
09-14-2011, 11:18
Just wondering if anyone has hiked north from Springer Thanksgiving week and can comment on crowds, weather and water availability. I am just going on a 4-5 day "quickie." Thanks!

Buffalo Skipper
09-14-2011, 12:56
Back when I was 16 (that was during the Little Ice Age, wasn't it?), my family camped at Unicoi State Park during Thanksgiving. It was so cold that my sister and her friend abandoned the tree houses and ended up on the floor of our camper. I think the daytime temp was in the 20s or low 30s with overnights in the teens.

But every year is different. No matter what the season, I would watch the forecast and be prepared for that or colder (and a little warmer also, to be honest).

YMMV.

Renee'
09-14-2011, 13:06
A friend and her son went up a couple of years ago on Thanksgiving weekend. They spent one night and came back when their water bottles froze.

High Jacker
09-14-2011, 17:35
I went up a few weeks after thanksgiving last year... it'll be cold. Expect bladder lines to freeze if not insulated in some way. Also depending on the weather (snow/rain/etc) fire will likely not be an option.

Skidsteer
09-14-2011, 18:34
A wonderful time of year to hike. Depending on the weather.

HiKen2011
09-14-2011, 20:34
Cold or warm................probably cold

Trailweaver
09-15-2011, 01:00
It's definately cold. Check weather reports right before you go, but likely it'll be anywhere from 20's to 30's at night, and maybe get to 60's in the daytime (if you're lucky).

As for water, there should be plenty of water during that time.

MuddyWaters
09-16-2011, 19:31
My son wanted to go hike in GA at thanksgiving. I said no, we are going to Arkansas instead. Its warmer there.

GA is too cold for me to take him at that time. Cold is fine, but the possibility of rain followed by temps in the 20's can be deadly if you dont stay dry.

lemon b
09-17-2011, 22:53
Down South it never gets really cold. Us Northern hikers will look at the humity leverls to see if we gotta go with a better pad or bag. Hike your own hike

FatMan
09-18-2011, 08:04
You may run into a few hikers but not many. Water should not be a problem by then, though it currently is. Days are short and nights are long.

Weather is too unpredictable to plan for months in advance. At the extremes you can find night time temps in the single digits and daytime temps in the 70s. Average for the end of November at altitude is 20s at night and 50s in the day. Actually very nice hiking temps. Be prepared for some rain and even snow in late November as it is one of our wetter times of the year. Check the forecast or send me a PM a few days before you go and I will give you what to expect for the next 4 or 5 days.

Enjoy your hike.

Frog
09-18-2011, 08:40
It can be cold and it can be hot I went on New Years 2007 and walked in a t shirt some of the day. And I have been there when you needed a down coat. Just depends on what kind of front comes in. I was at Mt. Rogers this week and one morning it was 35 with 25mph wind. There is just know way of knowing. JUST ALWAYS PACK FOR THE WORSE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

MuddyWaters
09-18-2011, 14:49
Down South it never gets really cold. Us Northern hikers will look at the humity leverls to see if we gotta go with a better pad or bag. Hike your own hike

I cant count the number of ex-yankees I have met that have sworn they were never cold in their life until they moved to the south. The humidity makes ALL the difference.

wcgornto
09-18-2011, 16:29
I finished a SOBO thru hike on Springer the Sunday after thanksgiving two years ago. Early in the week, it was cold and I had slush in my Camelback in the morning. Later in the week, it was much warmer and I hiked in a short sleeve t-shirt with or without a long sleeve t-shirt as a second layer as needed. I hiked out of Hiawassee on Thanksgiving and saw about 20 people. On Friday, it was closer to 40 people. On Saturday, it was at least 50. I was very surprised at how many people were on the trail, as I had been through some isolated stretches in the couple of weeks before. I thought there were more people simply because there were a lot of people off work around Thanksgiving, plus the weather was nice for late November.

Having said all of that, the temperatures can be twenties or teens at that time. You just never know until you see the weather forecast a week or so in advance.

PapaGarrettP
09-19-2011, 10:16
Thanks, FatMan. Will do!

PapaGarrettP
09-19-2011, 10:23
Thanks for all of the feedback. I expected a mixed bag on the weather; you just never know in the South until you get closer to the actual date, and even then can be surprised. My son wants to experience some cold camping (our last two trips -- June on Olympic Peninsula and March at Sam's Gap were both snowy), so I am hoping for some relatively dry cold, but prepared for rain. Thanks for heads up on plentiful water.

I am also thinking: this would not be the trip to leave the tent at home and rely on shelters/tarping. Also, what do you all think about a 20 degree bag with a silk liner and long underwear? Sufficient?

MuddyWaters
09-19-2011, 17:52
If you can wear all your insulating layer of clothes to bed, a 30 F degree bag in a tent w/2 people would be fine for about anything you would see. 20F bag should be good with much less. for the weight, a silk liner doesnt really add that much.