PDA

View Full Version : Colorado ... Weekend ... November

wcgornto
09-14-2011, 11:54
I have business meetings in Denver on November 2nd and 3rd (Wednesday & Thursday) and again the following Monday through Wednesday. So, what shall I do with Friday, Saturday and Sunday? Are there any trails not covered in snow near to Denver in early November that would make a good three day loop?

Tailwinder
09-14-2011, 20:47
wc -- There's no telling what trail conditions will be like in early November; could be fabulous or one passing snowstorm could change everything. But who wants to haul a ton of backpacking gear on a business trip? I recommend you head up to Estes Park (about 70 miles or one hour from Denver), stay in a lodge or hotel or at the YMCA of the Rockies (depending on budget), and treat yourself to three spectacular day hikes in Rocky Mountain National Park. Instead of seeing one area in the park, you could explore three, and you could easily adjust plans depending on weather conditions. If you did want to backpack, rangers in the backcountry permit office can advise you on some loops (e.g., the North Inlet Trail) or sites where you set up camp for your two or three nights and do daily hikes from there to different lakes or destinations (e.g., the Wild Basin area with Thunder, Bluebird, Pear, and Lion Lakes). Whatever you decide, have a great trip to Colorado! Tailwind

(Full disclosure: I live in Estes Park, the gateway town to Rocky Mountain National Park, and I recommend everyone on Whiteblaze spend some time here so you can compare eastern and western hiking!)

wcgornto
09-14-2011, 21:18
Thanks. I've spent time in Estes Park and I have driven in and around Rocky Mountain National Park. This was years ago before I started hiking. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense for a weekend sandwiched between business meetings.

garlic08
09-15-2011, 00:22
Yes, anything could happen, but if you find yourself with a good three day forecast, little snow in the lower elevations, and your backpack, look at the Lost Creek Wilderness. There's a nice loop there, just over 20 miles. November will probably be too late, though.