PDA

View Full Version : Help with Spring Break Planning

greatbahen
02-22-2005, 18:55
I am planning to lead a group of hikers from Jackson, MS, on some kind of hiking trip during our spring break which start March 17. I want to do a trip that will last four or five days. The problem is where to go. I really want to do the AT but with all the people starting around that time, it probably would'nt be a good idea to lead a group on a section hike around there, unless we start farther north than where the thru-hikers will be at that time. But getting far enough north to hike from Mississippi is another problem. Does anybody have any thoughts on where we should hike? Anything will be appreiciated.

A-Train
02-22-2005, 19:01
Yeah, by march 17th, the march 1st pack will be in the smokies, with a fair amount of hikers north of there. You could hike from Erwin Tennessee north to around Roan Mtn/Hampton TN. The earliest crowd usually isn't thru here until the beginning of April. This is a beautiful section of trail and would not be too crowded. If traveling in a group, I would definately have tents and not expect to stay in shelters. The exceptions in this section would be Overmountain Shelter and Roan Mtn Shelter at the northern end, which hold 20-30 hikers each. I also mention this section because Miss Janet might be able to help you with a shuttle, as she lives in Erwin and has a big van.

Although I know nothing about it, you could also check out the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama, which could be a lot closer to you. I would steer clear of any AT in Georgia, North Carolina during this peak thru-hiker time.

wacocelt
02-22-2005, 19:17
I second the vote for the Pinhoti. Or you could check out the panhandle portion of the Florida Trail.

MOWGLI
02-22-2005, 19:34
I second the vote for the Pinhoti.

I just hiked the entire Alabama Pinhoti. It is awesome with a capital A.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2761

You could start at Cheaha State Park and hike 54 miles north to US 278. There are a couple of shelters in that section, lots of beauty, the Dugger Mountain Wilderness, and loads of solitude.

If you send me a PM I could also probably arrange y'all to do a one day service project in conjunction with your hike. You'll be tired and sore after working on the trail, but you'll feel mighty fine afterwards.

Whatever you choose to do, have fun & be safe.

chris
02-22-2005, 19:35
Why not go west and enjoy some good weather, rather than snow and cold? Big Bend NP is a bit of a drive, but not that much further from Jackson than Erwin.

Deerleg
02-23-2005, 23:34
Why not go west and enjoy some good weather, rather than snow and cold? Big Bend NP is a bit of a drive, but not that much further from Jackson than Erwin.This pick ttp://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3136/sort/1/size/big/cat/500/page/ (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/3136/sort/1/size/big/cat/500/page/) was taken last April south of Erwin. High winds, a foot of snow and temps in the low 20's March can be tricky anywere on the AT...if I lived down your way I think I would love to hike Big Bend :sun in March and save the AT for May.

Good luck were ever you go!

karo
02-23-2005, 23:59
Try the Sipsey Wilderness in Northe Alabama. A group of us are going this weekend. Call or e-mail Warrior Mountains Trading Co. for more info.

Skyline
02-24-2005, 01:13
Have you considered a big chunk of the Foothills Trail along the NC/SC border?

Check it out at:

http://www.foothillstrail.org/

Lion King
02-24-2005, 01:35
Start in Damascus VA and go North...The Grayson Highlands Kick ass...you can take anywhere from 3-6 days there...end at Partnership Shelter, which has showers, P{izza delivery, and its a large shelter...a beautiful hike for certian, and outside of maybe Mt Rogers, and Buzzard Rock area...not all that difficult.

Also, if you feel like it, you can start easy there...take the VA creeper trail to where it intersects the AT the second time...follow the trail and a shelter is right in there...so you could accomplish a decent size first day without killing yourself.

TakeABreak
02-24-2005, 09:22
Well first off on the A.T., if you are in a group of 5 or more, whether it is organized or not, you are required to camp. That is to keep the shelter's from being manipulated every night, by a single group of people.

If I were you I would either do the GA or AL pinhoti trail or Bartman trail. there is also atrail in northern S.C. that you may want to consider, I just can not remember the name of it.

Youngblood
02-24-2005, 09:56
I agree with MowGli, from where you live it would be ashame to drive past the Alabama Pinhoti in the Talladega National Forest looking for a good hiking trip. You could probably hike roughly half of the AL Pinhoti trail, I-20 pretty much cuts it in half. The northern half is the one MowGli recommended, it has 3 watersheds and lots of beautiful creeks so water is easy to come. The southern half has some rock fields, awesome cliff walking and you have to pay more attention to the water situation (one of my favorite views is off of a sidetrail with an old plane wreck to McDill point). This web site http://www.hmtc.org/home.html has information on hiking the AL Pinhoti trail. The original trail is 108 miles and is sections 1 through 8 (section 1 is north of section 8) with the 53.9 mileage marker being very close to where I-20 bisects the trail. The trailheads at the beginning of section 1 and end of section 8 are easily accessed, as well as the one near I-20/US78 at FSR500 (the south end of section 5). There are also other easily accessed trailheads in between these.

You do realize that there is a 41 mile trail in your home state, the Black Creek Trail in the De Soto National Forest? I have never hiked it but Sgt. Rock was asking about it earlier this week and I saw that it was in Johnny Malloy's book, looks like a great trail. It's not in the Appalachian Mountains, but it has it's own unique personality.

Youngblood

Youngblood
02-24-2005, 09:59
I noticed I misspelled Johnny Molloy's name in my previous post and wasn't able to edit that post.

Youngblood

MOWGLI
02-24-2005, 11:54
If I were you I would either do the GA or AL pinhoti trail or Bartman trail. there is also atrail in northern S.C. that you may want to consider, I just can not remember the name of it.

The Bartman Trail? Is that named after the guy who ruined the Cubs shot at the World Series in 2003? :D

The name of the trail in SC is the Foothills Trail. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1882