PDA

View Full Version : Pct

partinj
09-15-2011, 13:16
Hi everone just wonder what is the early you can start on the PCT gone north also is their any books like the trail guide that has resupply info and town info in it.
Thank
:-?

sbhikes
09-15-2011, 13:42
Get Yogi's PCT Handbook.

Start in Mid-late April through Mid-May.

Mags
09-15-2011, 13:49
This doc may help:
http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

Blissful
09-15-2011, 22:53
Great. I bookmarked it.

partinj
10-15-2011, 19:43
I was just checking out the link Seen like you have to go thur a lot of stuff just to hike the trail.
I was born here why can i just use my birth certificate to get back in to the usa.

SassyWindsor
10-16-2011, 01:40
Points to research and understand:

Permits: Hiking, Fire, Canada and optional Mt Whitney Stamp
Water logistics and availability on desert section between Campo and Sierras.
Use of ice axe, bear cannister, etc
Mail drops
Weather in Sierras and Cascades

SassyWindsor
10-16-2011, 17:16
.... and don't forget you not only have black bear for a lot of the PCT but could (slight chance) run into a grizzly(brown bear) in the Cascades or Canada.

Mags
10-16-2011, 20:14
I was just checking out the link Seen like you have to go thur a lot of stuff just to hike the trail.
I was born here why can i just use my birth certificate to get back in to the usa.

Welcome to non-AT hiking. :)

If you think the PCT is hard to plan for with its detailed guide books, well marked trail with a fair amount of support from trail angels, locals and alumni, try the CDT or even other trails without a built in community (Grand Enchantment Trail? AZT? And so on..) ;)

As for why you can't just use your birth certificate, talk to your Congress Critters. :D It is the law that you need a passport (or the 'passport lite' for entering into from Mexico or Canada) to get back into the USA.

ChinMusic
10-16-2011, 20:41
This doc may help:
http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

Mags - This is just such good reading. I am totally regretting blowing my opportunity to meet you earlier this month.

Mags
10-16-2011, 20:42
Mags - This is just such good reading. I am totally regretting blowing my opportunity to meet you earlier this month.

No worries. I'll be here for a few years yet. :)