PDA

View Full Version : directions to springer mountain

LEM15
09-15-2011, 17:59
Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Blue Ridge, GA to the Springer Mountain parking area? Also, are the below driving directions correct? Thanks!

To get to the west end of Forest Service Road 42 take 575/515 north to Highway 52, just past the second light in Ellijay. This quickly joins the Cartecay River as it heads east towards Springer Mountain. Turn left on Roy Road at the Chevron Station. Follow this until the second stop sign (about 8 miles). The road curves repeatedly.

At the second stop sign (this is Doublehead Gap Road, but the sign has been missing for ten years) take the right down to the Baptist Church. A National Forest sign indicates the start of the well maintained dirt road. Continue on this road for 6.5 miles to the day use parking area.

birdygal
09-15-2011, 18:02
That is how we got there last week doublehead gap road to 42

birdygal
09-15-2011, 18:03
This is how we got there 60 to doublehead gap road to 42<br

virgil
09-15-2011, 20:41
I was told to get directions off the Georgia AT Club website. It's the final 10 miles you want to know about. I was coming from the Atlanta area but they had good directions listed from either direction. It was good dirt road, several roads. I went in the Spring and there were a couple places where 4-wheel would be good but the people that brought me had a 2-wheel SUV and it was fine. There's a very good parking area when you get there. Here is the website listed below. Check your directions against their's.

www.georgia-atclub.org

Ladytrekker
09-15-2011, 21:17
Its about 30 miles. I stayed at friends house in Blue Ridge when I go up there and drive to Springer in about 45 mins. Its slow 2 lane roads, curves no highways. The entrance to Springer is not far from Vogel State Park Campground you can use that as a reference point if you are going to Springer via FS 42.

LEM15
09-15-2011, 21:54
Thanks for the info folks. Should be a pretty weekend in the mountains!