PDA

View Full Version : Steri Pen

Hiking for vets
09-15-2011, 20:05
Has anyone used the new steer pen and if so what has been your experience? The concept seems very efficient but there has to be some down side. I do understand the particulate matter issue but the new unit has a pre filter.

4eyedbuzzard
09-15-2011, 20:15
The upside is that they are very fast compared to chemical treatment or filters, require a lot less fiddling around, don't change the taste, etc. Downside of steripens is batteries and reliability concerns, although the newer models have elimated a few issues with the earlier models. Batteries are expensive, and can go dead necessitating a spare set to be carried a lot of times (esp on thru / LD hikes), which should be factored into the weight comparison vs other methods. Reliability is cited as an issue with almost any electronic device. I've got an older adventurer model and it has never failed. Many others have had no problems. But some have. I don't carry a back up, but I'm not thu-hiking. Even so, if it failed, I could always pick up some aqua mira somewhere while waiting for a warranty replacement.

Don H
09-16-2011, 05:25
I started using one half way through my thru-hike. By the time I finished I was on my third one. At least they have great service and replaced the malfunctioning ones.

sixhusbands
09-16-2011, 08:01
I agree that batteries are an issue and so is cloudy water sources. But ii is very fast and so far it has worked well for me. I used ine several times the Central American rain forsests with no issues.

you will need a water bottle or bladder with an opening large enough to get the steripen into to start the activation.

Good luck with your choice.

moldy
09-16-2011, 09:55
If you get one be sure get some cheap batteries to practice with. Rather than a simple off/on switch mine had to be put in the water after I get the green light flashing by mashing down on a button a certain number of times. Sounds simple enough but I did not get it right or it did not work right. In the frustration, I lost all confidence in it. Someone on this blog indicated that the company making it has made improvements in the newer more expensive models. Mine cost 89 bucks. If you get one bring the directions with you.

Storm
09-16-2011, 10:17
If your Steripen uses CR123 batteries you can get them very reasonable here:

http://www.cr123batteries.com/

Jukebox
09-16-2011, 17:17
Quick and efficient, just note that they're really fragile. If you drop it, it's done.

I used mine from Georgia to Virginia and never got sick. Then again, I stopped purifying entirely in New Jersey and never got sick so who knows.