PDA

View Full Version : Trail Project for Backpacking Merit Badge

Dalton777
09-15-2011, 21:41
There are a couple of scouts that are working on the Backpacking Merit Badge in our troop. One of the requirements is to complete a trail project during a 5-day trek. Does anyone have any ideas for project for the boys?

Looking for something reasonable that the boys (only 2) can complete during the trip. The current plan is to hike from Bly Gap to Neels gap (Georgia section) this fall (but doesn't coincide with GA AT club planned maintenance).

We want to limit carrying tools, etc. to keep pack weight down - any ideas would be appreciated.

Sierra Echo
09-15-2011, 21:46
They can be my sherpas on my section hike! :D

Skidsteer
09-15-2011, 21:59
Have them clean out every firepit. Throw ashes in the woods and packout the trash in bags to be picked up at road crossings.

All it takes is a good pair of gloves and plastic bags.

Attila
09-15-2011, 22:04
Take heavy duty garbage bags to collect and carry out trash found on trail and around shelters. Don't let them go after trash sitting/laying in hard to reach areas. Our troop cleaned up trails as part of the 50 miler requirement and the boys still talking about their "best find". You can post the list or pictures of their "trophies" on this thread once they return from the their trip.

Sarcasm the elf
09-15-2011, 22:19
Have them clean out every firepit. Throw ashes in the woods and packout the trash in bags to be picked up at road crossings.All it takes is a good pair of gloves and plastic bags.This would be my suggestion as well.

shelb
09-15-2011, 22:59
Have them clean out every firepit. Throw ashes in the woods and packout the trash in bags to be picked up at road crossings.

I, too, agree that this is the best idea! While I did have one scout pick up trash, he did so over a 110 mile hike. I, personally, feel that 2 scouts should do much better over a 5 day hike. Challenge them to do both! There wasn't that much trash...not like on the NCT.

skinewmexico
09-15-2011, 23:36
Erosion dams. Easy to do with materials in place.

Trailweaver
09-16-2011, 01:40
You might want to check in with some of the maintainence crews beforehand to get details on how they want the above mentioned done. Cleaning up the firepits in unauthorized areas would be a great thing, as would packing out all the gas cannisters left by the folks who are lazy.

Dalton777
09-16-2011, 11:52

This sounds like a great idea!!

Thanks to everyone for the help

Ender
09-16-2011, 12:21
You might want to check in with some of the maintainence crews beforehand to get details on how they want the above mentioned done. Cleaning up the firepits in unauthorized areas would be a great thing, as would packing out all the gas cannisters left by the folks who are lazy.

I agree with checking with the local maintenance crews and see if they have specific projects in mind. I'm sure they'd love the help! And also, yeah, just general cleaning up after other hikers is *always* a good thing.

Tennessee Viking
09-16-2011, 12:57
Other than picking up trash...all you really can do is to contact the Asheville ATC office or the Georgia AT Club for projects.

I know AT clubs have let scouts help with shelters remodels, relocating trail, and bridge/kiosk construction.