PDA

View Full Version : AT Tattoos!

fireneck
09-15-2011, 22:28
I'm sure there is some AT inspired ink out there. Let's see your AT tattoos.

EastCoastFeastCoast
09-16-2011, 00:54
After I move (here in about a week) I'm getting a tattoo of Clingmans dome.. I'll post it after it's done :)

Maddog
09-16-2011, 01:40
I haven't got one yet, but I plan on it! :)

Big Dawg
09-16-2011, 02:15
Let's see your AT tattoos.

see my images... 2 pics of a wrap around my upper right arm.

fireneck
09-16-2011, 02:50
see my images... 2 pics of a wrap around my upper right arm.

Great tattoo. Was it done in two sittings?

Big Dawg
09-16-2011, 03:36
Great tattoo. Was it done in two sittings?

yes. The AT symbol w/ trail was done first. Then after summiting Katahdin w/ a thru-hiking friend in 07, I had the wrap incorporated. One side is a view of Katahdin from Abol Bridge, the other is a view from Max Patch. The wrap/view has been extended/tattooed down my arm about an inch since those pics were taken.

Texico
09-16-2011, 08:47
Nice tat Big Dawg. I too am considering getting a tattoo after my (hopeful) completion of the trail next year. I have some friends who are pretty artistic so I might ask them to come up with something. I like the idea of using a pic from Katahdin or elsewhere, too.

perrito
09-16-2011, 09:07
Related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?64970-PCT-tattoo)

Old Hiker
09-16-2011, 11:35
Go to the gallery tab and search with "tattoo". This one is the one I'm thinking about, with a 2012 under the AT symbol. Not a fan of tats, but if I can complete my thru, it would be something to celebrate, "just walkin'" or not.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/2/8/5/1st_appalachian_trail_at_tattoo_001_thumb.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=45482&catid=searchresults&searchid=45554)

Dobie Swift
09-16-2011, 12:54
I'm not the tattoo kinda person, but I did admire the thought put into one I saw in 2000 Miles to Maine. I believe the hiker was "Kentucky" (Kenny Key) and he had an indian "dream catcher" tattooed on his arm with the AT logo in the center. As he completes a state, he has a tat of a feather with that state's name in it attached to the dream catcher.

perrito
09-16-2011, 13:10
I'm not the tattoo kinda person, but I did admire the thought put into one I saw in 2000 Miles to Maine. I believe the hiker was "Kentucky" (Kenny Key) and he had an indian "dream catcher" tattooed on his arm with the AT logo in the center. As he completes a state, he has a tat of a feather with that state's name in it attached to the dream catcher.
Now that's a cool idea. That's one of the few movies I haven't seen. I'll have to check that out.

MyName1sMud
09-16-2011, 16:00

That's a very cool idea! I'll have to find this movie somewhere. I can't seem to find it on Netflix.

Also thats a VERY COOL tattoo you have Big Dawg

Dobie Swift
09-16-2011, 23:26
Here it is...

Jim Adams
09-17-2011, 00:05
I don't think that he has anymore states added. A few days after that scene in the movie was shot, his brother, Malice was arrested @ the Fontana Hilton for attempting to sell weed. He went home to wait for his brother to get out of jail. When his brother was released, he decided to meet his brother in Gatlinsburg. The brother, Malice was released in Fontana from the jail in Robbinsville and started thru the Smokies however LEO's were hiking in the Smokies attempting to find Malice due to complaints of HUGE campfires and hand feeding bears thru the chainlink fences at the shelters. As far as I know, the LEO's never did catch up with him and he got off the trail in Galtinsburg to meet his brother and neither of them returned to the trail.

All of their gear was Marlboro Gear.
geek

CrumbSnatcher
09-17-2011, 00:15
there was a stamp on the side of marlboro cigarette packs worth 5 miles each, you'd save up your miles and redeem them for gear
you could buy a sleeping bag for 20,000 miles or so :-)
maybe he didn't smoke enough cigarettes to make it too maine. they did like to "fires ones up", as they called it :-)

Jim Adams
09-17-2011, 00:20
Crumb,
Remember them?...all their equipment was red and white with Marlboro logos...the sleeping bags were HUGE!

geek

Waterbuffalo
09-20-2011, 19:56

here is mine

pistol p
09-20-2011, 21:06
Nice tat Mr.Swift :)

sbhikes
09-20-2011, 21:47
Dobie: that's a great tattoo! Nice work!

Waterbuffalo: I really like the clean lines of your tattoo. It's very attractive!

Those of you who have a trail tattoo, how do you like it now that you have it?

This is mine:

I've had it a year now. I really like it. It's so much fun whenever someone asks about the trail or my hike I can just pull up my pant leg and show them the trail and they instantly know what I'm talking about. The only thing I don't quite like is that I never wear shorts and capri pants are rarely short enough to show the tattoo.

Big Dawg
09-20-2011, 23:36
Those of you who have a trail tattoo, how do you like it now that you have it?

Nice tat sbhikes!

In answer to your question, I love mine! I've had it since 2007, added 1" of scene to the bottom in 2010. But I want to add to it. I want the overall design to take up more room on my arm. I've considered a trail/planet/solar sytem/universe theme to incorporate a much larger design. We'll see.

Serial 07
09-21-2011, 13:37
i branded a kid with the AT logo (using a coat hanger!) at the bird cage a few years back...Rob bird loves that story!

RWheeler
09-22-2011, 23:45
sbhikes, that's actually similar to something I had planned to get when I finish next year. I was going to get AT on my right calf, and if I decide to do PCT, that'd go on the left.

And if I end up doing the triple crown and doing CDT? Well, obviously that'd be a tramp stamp.

fireneck
09-23-2011, 20:54
sbhikes, that's actually similar to something I had planned to get when I finish next year. I was going to get AT on my right calf, and if I decide to do PCT, that'd go on the left.

And if I end up doing the triple crown and doing CDT? Well, obviously that'd be a tramp stamp.

LOL! You about made soy milk come out my nose! :D

perrito
09-23-2011, 22:05
Found this:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?45724-tattoos

Rusty Nail
06-12-2012, 20:01
1627216272This is on my shin

WIAPilot
06-12-2012, 20:59
This is so funny because I was just thinking of doing this when I cross that finish line. Or one really drunk night in town!! LOL. I don't have a single tattoo, but something small and discrete like this I could go for!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/ANST-Triangle-Logo_1.jpg

Live_for_hiking
06-13-2012, 08:57
I'd consider an AT tat if I were to finish my thru-attempt next year.

My one word of caution to folks that are contemplating a tattoo. Not all artists are equal and please don't get one that is generic. Something that is for life should, in my opinion, be as unique as the person wearing the tattoo. Most good artists will sit down and discuss your vision and provide you with alternatives to choose from. Think of the tattoo as a birth mark that you are bringing to the surface. You should be that comfortable with the design, meaning, etc.

Yea, I have a couple of tattoos already. It takes me years to decide on what to put on my body permanently.

rocketsocks
06-14-2012, 00:15
No tats here,there are only a few things I've ever considerd putting in ink,and the AT hasn't made the list yet,maybe someday.