PDA

View Full Version : New Balance 851 hikers

utley
02-22-2005, 21:44
This past weekend I was browsing a Cabela's catalog and saw the New Balance 851 hikers. Has anyone tried these? I currently hike in the 806 trail running shoes and have had good luck with them (section hiker, so usually just do 5 days or so at a time). I've never seen these 851's and am curious as to how they work out. They have more ankle support than the runners and only weight a bit more (1lb 11 oz for runners and about 2.2 lbs for hikers).

Chris Utley

Freighttrain
02-23-2005, 09:59
I have no idea about those..... im not a NB fan since i started in 904s in 2003.... by NOC my feet were so bruised to the bone that I got off trail..
seems the soles were thin and flexable which i didnt notice when purchasing... I should have stuck with Montrails which i love and will be wearing this year.

Pooja Blue
02-23-2005, 18:33
Not 851, but I hiked the entire trail in New Balance: 1122 (women's walking shoe, ugly but stable as heck) for the first 3/4 of the trail and 963 (men's hiking) for the last 1/4. Worked great for me.

Toolshed
02-27-2005, 18:36
I started with the 803's in 99 and progressed through the 806's and have been quite pleased except for the behind the ankles area wear on the shoes- I just bought a few additional pairs for $29 on closeout, so I am set for a while, but looking at these 851's, it appears they mght be closing a link between ultralight shoe and hiking boots since they bought Dunham boots.

Freeze
02-27-2005, 21:18
I don't know about that model, but i purchased a pair of Durhams 905's (now owned by New Balance) and they are great! These trail runners have a vibram sole,and were designed specificaly with thru-hikers in mind (according to the NB sales rep at traildays)
You can check them out here (http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?type=&style=MWM905GR)
Great shoe.

RhusRadicans
03-01-2005, 08:52
Last year, after reading this column I bought NB 806; I also bought NB 475, which appeared to be the cheapest "Made in America" shoe from NB. I used the 475s for the "100 mile wilderness", with a 40-50 lb pack, and really liked them. Then I went to Connecticut with slightly less pack weight and used the 806s for a few days. They have a much stiffer sole (too stiff, in my opinion, tho apparently some people like that), weigh about the same, and cost more. The 475s, with a softer sole and more open tread, seem to grip the rocks much better. They come in extra widths (EEE) so you don't have to get extra length just for foot swelling. Like most of your other respondents, I don't know anything about 851s, but I do recommend 475s.

hiker5
03-01-2005, 09:11
I like the looks of the dunham 905's, but my quick search of the internet hasn't turned up a brick and morter store that carries them. Of course I'd like to check them out in person before I consider buying a pair. Does anyone know what stores carry these shoes?

For what its worth, I currently have a pair of NB 806's. I like the shoe and the support I get from the sole, but I get blisters on the back of my heel/achilles if I don't pre-tape that area. I think part of it may be a fit problem. I did get these of the clearance rack; so I wasn't able to try a bunch of different sizes (one larger, one smaller, wider, narrower) to get the best fit. And that is why I won't buy the 905's (or any other hiking boot/shoe) sight unseen.

Freeze
03-01-2005, 22:10
I bought mine at traildays, and have only seen them sold online.
Maybe a NB shoe store will carry them.
If you can't find them locally, order them, and if you don't like them, return them.
They used to be called 'Dunham Waffle Stomper Nimble Shoes' last year, and the name changed to durham 905 this year.
Here's the review (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%20Shoes/Dunham%20Waffle%20Stomper%20Nimble%20Shoes/) from BackpackerGearTest
Here's the description (http://search.rodale.com/search97cgi/s97_cgi?action=View&VdkVgwKey=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebackpacker%2Ecom%2Far ticle%2F1%2C2646%2C7366%2C00%2Ehtml%3F&DocOffset=4&DocsFound=15&QueryZip=nimble&Collection=backpacker&ViewTemplate=docview%2Ehts&SearchUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch%2Erodale%2Ecom%2Fsea rch97cgi%2Fs97%5Fcgi%3Faction%3DSearch%26QueryZip% 3Dnimble%26ResultTemplate%3DBPResults%252Ehts%26Qu eryText%3Dnimble%26Collection%3Dbackpacker%26ViewT emplate%3Ddocview%252Ehts%26ResultStart%3D1%26Resu ltCount%3D10&) from Backpacker magazine.

swamp dawg
03-01-2005, 23:59
I bought a pair last spring to hike from NJ to NH. The shoe has a great fit but the rubber on the toe guard separated almost from the first day. I just cut back the rubber and hiked with a unguarded toe. The ad states that the shoe is water resistant but I found the to not be true. I still like the style,weight and overall comfort of the shoe of this shoe.

hiker5
03-02-2005, 08:59
Now that I know they used to be the Nimble, I think I'll have better luck looking. Thanks.

Mike
03-02-2005, 10:11
I have seen these Dunham Nimble/905's at the NB store in Indy. Look online to see if you have one in your area. NB Stores are a godsend for all us folks who have oddly proportioned feet. My 14 4E's love the place.

MileMonster
03-02-2005, 10:59
I've used the 851's. They were fine but did not breathe very well for me. The only place they breathed well enough was in Grand Canyon where humidity was 0. Got out of them in Hot Springs and went to a Montrail Vitesse. The Vitesse were awesome for me. Combination of low breathability and foot swelling really made a change in shoe necessary for me. Not a single blister issue after the swap. I was happy I had started in an old shoe - I didn't mind chucking them.

hiker5
03-02-2005, 11:21
I didn't realize that NB had their own brick and morter stores. newbalance.com tells me that they have a location in Annapolis. I guess I know where I'll be going when I find the time. Thanx.

utley
03-06-2005, 23:02
I've wondered about the Dunham, and am glad to see some input here.

Hiker05, the store on Annapolis has them. The store is in the mall in Annapolis and had a big selection of the Dunham shoes. I was up there in Nov. and saw them.

Chris Utley

hiker5
03-12-2005, 11:33
I went to the store in Annapolis Mall last night. They had a fair selection of Dunham shoes but not much for boots. I also didn't see the new Terrastryder. I would have liked to check them out.

I did like the Waffle Stomper Nimble. Now I have to justify spending the cash. :-?