PDA

View Full Version : Stratton mt. info wanted

lostandhappy
09-16-2011, 14:29
how far is the firetower from kelly stand/stratton arlington rd. one way. can we climb the firetower?

Jeff
09-16-2011, 15:44
The summit of Stratton Mt is 3.8 miles from Kelly Stand Rd. Yes, you can climb the tower.

Kelly Stand Rd was badly damaged by Hurricane Irene. It is not passable from Arlington, VT. I believe it is passable from the Stratton side to the AT trailhead, but I would check with locals before your trip.

lostandhappy
09-16-2011, 16:16
thanks jeff, I've heard that stratton side is still accesible but down to single vehicle wide in spots. Sounds like a good hike to do with my 7 year old daughter. We did spruce peak last weekend, now she wants to push a little farther.

Driver8
09-17-2011, 01:33
On a clear day, the views from the tower are beautiful, but it is a bit daunting - not the sturdiest structure in the world. Might be better now than when I did it last fall, as they were doing repairs.

The hike is mellow for the first mile and a quarter or so, then, after crossing the IP Road, the AT/LT gets quite rocky and fairly steep for the next mile or so. The last mile and half or so is amidst the spruce and fir, smells great and is beautiful, imo. There's a nice view of Greylock, Mt. Snow and the reservoir at around the 3.3 mile point, approx 3500 elevation, where an old trail routing comes in from the right (southeast).

On a clear day at the summit, you can see the Whites (I saw Mt. W on 10/9/10), the high Adirondacks, Ascutney, Monadnock, most major Greens and well into Mass. Hope you enjoy! Next time I head out, I want to do the Stratton Pond Loop. Soon, I hope!