PDA

View Full Version : DISC GOLF and the AT : Anywhere to play?

MyName1sMud
09-16-2011, 15:53
Haven't done a full scale search on dgcoursereview.com but are there any good places to play some DG while on a thru hike?

I wouldn't carry my own discs.. (though maybe just 1 180g roc) as most Disc Golfers are usually friendly people and will let you borrow a disc or two to play a round with them.

Just wondering if there is any good close to the trail places worth taking a half day off to play. :D

Thrasher
09-16-2011, 18:25
The only course I saw was at Fontana Dam. I did not play the course. They do rent out a small set of disc with a bag though.

jlb2012
09-16-2011, 18:45
Greene County VA community park has a course but I don't know who you would need to contact to get some discs - to get to the course leave the AT at swift Run Gap and either hitch or walk down to Rt 33 and Goose Pond Rd. there call Greene County Transit for a ride ($2.50)

Odd Man Out
09-16-2011, 20:00
Aim at first tree on the right. Then at the next tree on the left. Then at the next tree on the right, etc... until you hit the Mt Katahdin sign. Par 23,716.

Just a Hiker
09-16-2011, 20:14
I noticed a road sign today for a disc golf course relatively close to Roan Moutain off of 19E.

Serial 07
09-16-2011, 22:20
Disc golf!!!!! let's see, from what i know there are a couple options...in 07 i carried my rhino to harpers ferry hoping to find a course...anyway, there is fontana dam...if you stay there, they charge like $5 (kinda ridiculous) for a bag and 3 discs...it's an okay course, but it's a great way (as you know) to get away from the trail and introduce/play with hiking buddies...the course near 19E is close, but not the best course...and i'm not sure where you'd pick up discs...it's a wide open field that really isn't very interesting, but if i was starving for some play, i guess it would suffice...

oh, warwick, ny has a course as well...you have made me want to check it out now...harpers ferry would be a great town to have one, no?!?

Big Dawg
09-17-2011, 01:41
I love disc golf....

Chaco Taco
09-17-2011, 21:21
fontana, go into asheville from sams gap, one of the most amazing courses on the east coast. There is one in Roan Mtn
Also one just south of Lincoln NH, brand new

fireneck
09-18-2011, 06:36
Haven't done a full scale search on dgcoursereview.com but are there any good places to play some DG while on a thru hike?

I wouldn't carry my own discs.. (though maybe just 1 180g roc) as most Disc Golfers are usually friendly people and will let you borrow a disc or two to play a round with them.

Just wondering if there is any good close to the trail places worth taking a half day off to play. :D

Are you hiking in '12 if so we will have to meet up and play a few rounds. I love me some DG!