PDA

View Full Version : how to properly pack a pack

ekeverette
09-16-2011, 18:09
hello. i've got an osprey 70 42 cub. inch... i've got my trash compactor bag... so... the way i did it: it stuffed my tent on the bottem( sleeping bag has it' on bottom compartment) then i placed my trash bag in, on top of the tent:-? ... then stuffed all my clothes in the trash bag and a few other things i don't want to get wet, then tied it off. put a few things on top of that..or do you just put your trash bag in and stuff every thing into it tent and all? realyy don't knoe the right wat to pack my pack, suggestions would be great.

Del Q
09-16-2011, 19:14
I use various stuff sacks, makes life a lot easier on the trail. Cold Bag, sock bag, clothes, food, personal bag, etc. New cuben fiber stuff sacks are excellent. Easy to find what I need quickly.

MuddyWaters
09-16-2011, 19:50
I put CCF foam pad in for support. Insert compactor bag. Stuff sleeping bag into compactor bag. Put in puff jacket and fleece, and other clothing in a ziplock. Twist bag up and tuck twisted part in to keep it water tight. Next is food bag (minus food/snacks for day), then cook gear and miscl. Roll top down and seal up. Tent, raingear, water treat, all go in outside mesh pockets. Snacks in ziplock go in hip pockets or outer mesh too. Bunch of miscl stuff like first aid, sunscreen, blister, hyropel, aquamira, all go in hipbelt pockets too.

Don H
09-16-2011, 19:52
Tent on top in case it's raining and you need to set up without emptying your pack and getting every thing soaked.

MuddyWaters
09-16-2011, 19:54
Thing is, if you need shelter in the rain, you dont want to unpack your whole pack to get your tent out. If its inside it should be on top. Same for raingear and flashlight. Tent only goes on bottom in morning usually if its soaking wet so it wont get anything else wet. Sleeping bag is last thing you need, usually on bottom. Heavy things like food should be in the upper middle. Too high affects stability, but too low requires to lean more to adjust balance.

Only things that need to be in waterproof bag are sleeping bag and clothes. Food should be in its own waterproof bag since you may need to hang it.

Spokes
09-16-2011, 20:30
Tent on top in case it's raining and you need to set up without emptying your pack and getting every thing soaked.

Or even better, in an outside pocket to keep from packing a damp/wet tent inside your pack at all.

lemon b
09-17-2011, 08:08
Tent is under my kitchen. In a black plastic bag . Fly first.

10-K
09-17-2011, 09:25
You'll figure out a system that works for you, don't worry. Trial and error, and watching what other hikers do is how you'll figure it out. My system might not work for you.

The most important thing I learned is to be OCD about sticking with it. I found that as soon as I used something, putting it back in it's place - even if I'm going to need it again in 10 minutes is the best way to stay organized and not lose stuff.

Plus, by sticking with the same packing order where everything has a place you can find stuff in the dark a lot easier.

Tim51
09-17-2011, 12:14
Ekeverette, i pack mine similar to yours except a few things: trash compacter pack liner goes in my empty pack, then my sleeping bag goes in first..loosely, not in stuff sack. I kind of press it down so it compresses a little and fills out the bottom space. then every thing goes in on top of sleeping bag (except tent, rain jacket, and anything else i want quick access to for that day)....then i fold over the plastic pack liner so rain water cant get in. Then on top goes tent and a few things that i dont care get wet. (tent poles are on outside of pack) ... my down sleeping bag ends up nicely compressed in the bottom of my pack, saves space inside pack.

I want my tent first when stopping for the night...its right on top. ...of course i did have to completely empty my pack every night but i had planned to do so anyway since i was using a short sleeping pad and used my empty pack as kind of a sleeping pad extention for my legs. I packed like this during my entire thru-hike and would do so again. Nothing ever got wet inside my pack liner

...Best thing you can do is go on one or two shakedown hikes and experiment to see what works best for you.

SawnieRobertson
09-18-2011, 10:56
Since discovering the beauty of a tarp over my tent, my life has changed. The one I have (silnylon) is an extra pound to carry, but it is sooooo worth it. I would love to have a cuben tarp, but the one I think I want will probably remain a "want" forever as it costs $300.00. Anyhow, Heartfire sent my cuben tent to me in a small, narrow cuben bag. I roll my tarp in that bag and place it next to my rolled pad on the back of my ULA Catalyst. It is right there when I get to my tentsite. If it is raining, I throw it up first, then set up everything else under it. Absolute luxury!--Kinnickinic

OldFeet
09-26-2011, 10:41
My sleeping bag goes in the bottom compartment in a waterproof compression sack. Then I line the main compartment with the trash compactor bag and put clothing on the bottom, food bags in the middle then my tent in a compression sack with my rain gear on top of that. Snacks, tent poles, and cooking equipment go in outside pockets. If I need to hang my food I put the food bags inside the waterproof compression sack that holds the sleeping bag during the day.

zzzzzz1002003
02-26-2013, 05:19
i have the same pack. all ide realy say is stuff sacks and 3-5 diffrent colors. 1 for each type of item ie. blue is water, filter/tabs/other. red fire stove/striker/fule if its big enough. other color for tolitries..etc.
ide pack it useing the ballence system. inside near the bottom there is a cloth divider...worst thing ever... take it out and set you pack upright. fill it but ballence it so it remains upright so it should be more comfortable. ive used it in scouting, and other things and it works for me.

tent is in the bottom but upright. with my sleep bag besides it with perdy much anything eles that rolls up and can be slid into any open holes.i have about the top 1/2 compleatly open, as fule goes outside the bag in the side compartment with sticks and rope bundle. and other things.

OzJacko
02-26-2013, 05:32
Whatever works for you.
I have ULA packs and stand the tent up in one of the side pockets.
The trash bag goes in pack, usually the sleeping bag in first and then everything else I want in the bag and dry.
The trash bag gets rolled closed then the pack.
All liquids, fuel, water etc go in outside pockets.
Nothing than can't cope with getting wet is outside the trash bag. (Oh except a couple of small items in ziploc bag in hipbelt pocket)
Nothing is in the pack that isn't in the trash bag.

RJ Lewis
03-03-2013, 22:55
I usually use the stuff sack method with 3-5 colors for whatever I need. I bag my sleeping bag in a waterproof compression bag first...lay in my pad next to it, and then my clothes and misc things I have to take with. Then my food bag, and on top or outside my pack is my tent, poles and raingear. Into hip pockets go my camera, aqua mira, and such as I want handy access to during the day. My water bottle pockets hold fuel and my stove, with the other side being my water bottle for mixed drinks during the day. I do use a sturdy bladder for water inside my pack if I need to carry the extra water. I often lay it on top of my pack if just used for camp use and I'm not going very far. Electronics not in use get double bagged with zip locks. I do agree, keeping your pack the same way through your trip makes for easier finding in the dark and easier organization overall. Lots of great ideas folks!! :)

zelph
03-06-2013, 17:32
The Swedish way to pack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20one/th_swedishDIYs11111.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20one/?action=view&current=swedishDIYs11111.jpg)

Special K
03-24-2013, 13:55
The Swedish way to pack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20one/th_swedishDIYs11111.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/sub%20one/?action=view&current=swedishDIYs11111.jpg)

Crud! :( I can only make out two of the words. ;)

Think
04-07-2013, 23:29
very helpful article

JustRob
04-08-2013, 01:42
Crud! :( I can only make out two of the words. ;)

I already knew where to put my kök