PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Creek Chair - Sleeping Pad?

hikerjohnd
02-23-2005, 07:49
I have switched from therma rest to Gossamer Gear's NiteLight pad and on my last trip I would have enjoyed a chair. I thought about switching my sleeping pad for a crazy creek chair. Does anyone have experience doing this? It seems kind of thin, but I rarely wake up on my pad anyway... my weight is down to 36#'s w/ water and 5 days food, so I think the increase would be insignificant. What do you all think? :-?

greatbahen
02-23-2005, 11:47
I've done that before on section hikes but I don't know about doing it for long distances. It was very nice to sit in a chair and eat meals. You can't really fit it inside your pack very well which is another factor. I just rolled mine up, tied it, and strapped it to the outside of my pack. I believe the crazy creek company makes larger sized crazy creeks they may work better for sleeping. And it wouldn't hurt to check the off-brand crazy creeks to see if theirs are thicker.

The Weasel
02-23-2005, 13:25
Cascade/Thermarest makes a VERY comfy adaptor for ground pads (primarily its own but works with a lot of others) that is lightweight.

The Weasel

JimSproul
02-23-2005, 14:03
I tried just what you are suggesting for a 11 day trek in the Rockies. I used a "stadium" length seat like the crazy creek. I bought it at REI. The weight was less than my full length ultralight thermarest. It functioned like a 3/4 pad for me, I am 5" 8". I was able to slide it into my pack. but it ttok a bunch of space.

I used it at least once a day for several hours but I did not feel it was worth the effort. I have since gone with a thermarest Pro Lite 3 3/4 length and just look for a tree or shelter to lean against. much less space, weight and packing hassle.

Baldy
02-23-2005, 14:26
I used my off-brand crazy creek as a 3/4 pad for my last Isle Royale trip. It was a pain in the a$$, I'll never take it hiking again. I couldn't fit it in my pack, so I strapped it to the outside. That was the trip where I found out I hate having things hanging on the outside of my pack. It was also heavier than my full-length pad. I rarely used it as a chair, too.

HikeLite
02-25-2005, 10:30
I use just a small square of blue foam form Walmart. When finding a place to sit make sure you are not sitting forward on an incline. That will put pressure on your back and make you wish you had back support. If you sit facing forward on a slight decline or on level ground, you will not feel the need for back support, at least I didn't.

rpettit
02-25-2005, 11:05
Take the Wal-Mart closed cell foam pad, cut it to 3/4 length. It should weigh around 5-6 oz. cut down. Use it to sit on, lay on, lean on a tree, maybe use it as a sleeping pad or to augment a sleeping pad. It's bulky, but worth the weight.