PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Shelters

gwb
09-17-2011, 12:46
Im hiking Nj into Ny next week and I am finding the spacing of the shelters to be an issue. Im used to hiking the AT in PA where you can camp almost anywhere. I usually hike 15-20 mile days. The issue in Nj is only being able to camp at the shelters. They are spaced 12 miles apart on average. Hiking shelter to shelter gives me days that are too short, hiking every other shelter makes for some long days... Any advise?

johnnybgood
09-17-2011, 12:57
Why must you camp only at the shelters ? Camel up at the springs and keep going .

gwb
09-17-2011, 13:00
Did I misunderstand the rules? Don't you have to stay at the shelters in NJ and NY?

johnnybgood
09-17-2011, 13:35
Here's a link that states the rules : http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2at.pdf

BigHodag
09-17-2011, 13:59
Unlike the southern part of the trail, the northern AT does not pass through large national and state forests with loose restrictions on camping.

I took another look at my hiking plan from this year's section hike of New Jersey and don't see much of a problem for you. The interesting thing about New Jersey is that all the shelters are located in state parks, which do not permit lawful back country camping. Also the trail passes in a narrow corridor between private property in the north. The only lawful back country camping is found in the Delaware NRA, but due to roads, lakes and bear activity, there is some curtailment on camping.

If you are NOBO:

Day 1 - Delaware NRA to Mohican Outdoor Center (camping $9) (11 miles)

Day 2 - MOC to Brinks Road shelter (18 miles)

Day 3 - Brinks Road to Rutherford shelter (16 miles)

Day 4 - Rutherford to Pochuck shelter (17 miles )

Day 5 - Pochuck to Wawayonda shelter (11 miles)

I believe there is lawful camping between the MOC and Catfish fire tower so you could add some miles to day 1 and hike less on day 2. By using the Jim Murray property and Vernon hostel as wild card shelters, you can also vary your northern NJ schedule as well.

I like 10-12 mile days as my section hikes are my vacation from work. Thus I tend to lolly gag in my hammock in the morning, sweep down the shelters & privy's after other hikers depart, and dawdle along the trail. At my average rate, it going to take me 20 more years to finish the AT and I'm already 53.

hambone5126
09-21-2011, 14:42
there are a lot of good camp sites in the DWG rec area. after high point there arent as many, but you can generally find someplace good to sleep. im not positive about new yorks laws, but ive never had a problem finding a decent place to stop at night