PDA

View Full Version : Snow on AT question

Maddoxsjohnston
09-17-2011, 15:32
Hey,I am going to do a 35 mile section of the AT on October 21. I will be doing US 19e to 321 and Hampton TN (one of the most beautiful sections of the trail, in my opinion- love the falls). And I was just wondering if there would be any snow around in that time frame, the highest elevation is about 4,800, I believe (if it helps). Thanks all!Thanks all!Thanks all.

Maddoxsjohnston
09-17-2011, 15:34
Sorry, typos at end.

mountain squid
09-17-2011, 16:36
Probably not. It will likely be rather cold at night in the mountains, however.

Have Fun! and http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs087.gifto WB.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Serial 07
09-17-2011, 16:41
maybe.......

fiddlehead
09-17-2011, 19:08
As much as I love snow, sorry, there won't be any at that time of year.
Try 2 or 3 months later and maybe you'll get lucky.

Just a Hiker
09-17-2011, 19:58
Unless there's a freak snow storm around here, there won't be any snow on that stretch of trail.....atleast not enough to slow you down much. There should be a few southbounders in the area at that time, so you probably won't be alone. Have a good hike!

bigcranky
09-18-2011, 09:36
No snow, sorry. However, you will most likely have perfect hiking weather - cool during the day and chilly at night. Have fun!

Chaco Taco
09-18-2011, 10:26
Unless there's a freak snow storm around here, there won't be any snow on that stretch of trail.....atleast not enough to slow you down much. There should be a few southbounders in the area at that time, so you probably won't be alone. Have a good hike!

Just was in The Whites the past 2 days and Washington is covered. I know the OP said NC/TN, just want to rub it in

Chaco Taco
09-18-2011, 10:27
No snow, sorry. However, you will most likely have perfect hiking weather - cool during the day and chilly at night. Have fun!
Agreed, this is the prime time for some Roan Highlands hiking!!!!

Chaco Taco
09-18-2011, 10:28
Hey,I am going to do a 35 mile section of the AT on October 21. I will be doing US 19e to 321 and Hampton TN (one of the most beautiful sections of the trail, in my opinion- love the falls). And I was just wondering if there would be any snow around in that time frame, the highest elevation is about 4,800, I believe (if it helps). Thanks all!Thanks all!Thanks all.

I agree with you that this is a beautiful section , but for color viewing of leaves changing, The Carvers to 19E is far superior, IMO

Just a Hiker
09-18-2011, 10:40
I agree with you that this is a beautiful section , but for color viewing of leaves changing, The Carvers to 19E is far superior, IMO

I hiked from Carvers Gap to Overmountain Shelter and back on Friday, and it's already Fall weather above 5000ft around here......very nice hiking weather already.

Maddoxsjohnston
09-18-2011, 12:01
In July I finished a segment from Iron Mtn. Gap to 19e- so beautiful. Hump mountain was a heck of an ascent, as was carvers to there, but well worth it. The shelter near Roan mountain, as well as Clyde Smith, were some of my favorites on the trail.

On a seperate note, Unaka mountain remains one of my favorite places on the trail, though I did have a problem finding the trail from my lunch spot:p. Luckily I planted my poles near it, so once I saw those, all was well. Could be very confusing at night without proper precautions though :D.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-18-2011, 18:58
weather should be good at that time you are right it is a nice section of the trail especially the section leading along the creek and the falls