PDA

View Full Version : Its all in the shoulders!

Sierra Echo
09-17-2011, 19:14
Ok heres the issue (I actually have a lot of these!)
I have an upcoming section hike. I have bought a new pack and a heavier sleeping bag. My baseweight comes to 18.6 and that is including my pack which is a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace. While the weight doesn't slow me down I feel like its ALL riding on my shoulders. The three biggest things in my pack are my tent, sleeping bag and my thermarest pillow. I have all three standing up on their ends in my pack. Then I have a few misc. stuff stacks in there as well as my filter and stover. Any suggestions on how to take some of the weight off my shoulders??

Hooch
09-17-2011, 19:20
Ok heres the issue (I actually have a lot of these!) Girl, you've got the entire freakin' subscription. :p

Any suggestions on how to take some of the weight off my shoulders??Yep. When you put your pack on, make sure that you tighen your shoulder straps after your hipbelt. This will allow the hipbelt to bear the overwhelmning majority of the weight, as it should.

Sierra Echo
09-17-2011, 19:22
+ 20 on the subscriptions!!!

I actually think I did my shoulder straps first. Do you think it would be better if I took my tent out and put it on my top of my pack?

johnnybgood
09-17-2011, 19:36
+ 20 on the subscriptions!!!

I actually think I did my shoulder straps first. Do you think it would be better if I took my tent out and put it on my top of my pack?Yep ! I'd try that first. You might also consider a shakedown hike first before taking on a bigger section hike.

Hooch
09-17-2011, 19:45
I actually think I did my shoulder straps first.Bad idea. That puts most of the weight directly on your shoulders, not on your hips, where it should be.

Do you think it would be better if I took my tent out and put it on my top of my pack?Try putting your pack on as it is now, but tightening your shoulder straps after you adjust your hipbelt. Bet it'll do the job.

Pedaling Fool
09-17-2011, 20:32
Don't pamper 'em shoulders; sex 'em up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMYNFolmyM4);)

lemon b
09-17-2011, 20:37
Ya all going in Kilos think too much. Hike your own Hike.

jlb2012
09-17-2011, 20:43
is it possible that the pack needs to be adjusted for a different frame size? - as I recall the Nimbus series uses a frame sheet that is quite adjustable for different lengths

something to try after the suggestions above anyways

if you do adjust the length a bit of loctite on the screws would be a good idea

Sierra Echo
09-17-2011, 20:46
Bad idea. That puts most of the weight directly on your shoulders, not on your hips, where it should be.

Try putting your pack on as it is now, but tightening your shoulder straps after you adjust your hipbelt. Bet it'll do the job.

That made a huge difference! You are the man!

Sierra Echo
09-17-2011, 20:47
is it possible that the pack needs to be adjusted for a different frame size? - as I recall the Nimbus series uses a frame sheet that is quite adjustable for different lengths

something to try after the suggestions above anyways

if you do adjust the length a bit of loctite on the screws would be a good idea

I was fitted for my pack at Mountain Crossings. Its a great fit, I'm just still learning how to adjust it. etc. I wear my daypack differently.

Sierra Echo
09-17-2011, 20:47
Don't pamper 'em shoulders; sex 'em up (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMYNFolmyM4);)

That woman scares me! LOL

jlb2012
09-17-2011, 20:50
I was fitted for my pack at Mountain Crossings. Its a great fit, I'm just still learning how to adjust it. etc. I wear my daypack differently.

well keep an eye on the screws that set the size on the frame sheet - lose one and its a real PIA

Hooch
09-17-2011, 20:50
That made a huge difference! You are the man!Anytime! Glad to help.

Bronk
09-18-2011, 01:05
I carried 55+ pounds on my shoulders until Neels Gap where I offloaded some weight and adjusted the straps on my pack...it was a miserable 30 miles, and I fully understand why many people quit at that point. Having a properly adjusted pack makes all the difference in the world.

Most packs have two adjustments for the shoulder straps...the ones most people find obvious are the ones on the straps in the area of your armpit to waist that you pull down on to tighted up once you have the pack on. There is also another set of straps that are behind your head in the shoulder area. These are the straps that most people have adjusted incorrectly (too tight), and they help a great deal in shifting weight from your shoulders to your waist.

What you are doing is trying to center your gravity on your hips where the strength of your legs will bear most of the weight. You do this by first loosening the shoulder straps (the ones behind your head in the shoulder area). Make them as loose as they will go...when you put your pack on this will cause your pack to lean backwards away from your back...that's ok at this point...next tighten your hip belt until all of the weight is resting on your hips...don't worry about the shoulder straps until your hip belt is tight. Then slowly tighten them until the pack stands perfectly vertical...don't pull them so tight that the pack hugs your shoulders...you don't want the weight there. If you are standing up straight, your pack should be perfectly vertical, not wrapping up around your shoulders. When you are adjusting your pack you should do so with it fully loaded...that's how you're going to wear it.

If your pack is adjusted properly and is not overloaded with too much weight you will hardly know you have it on.

Sierra Echo
09-18-2011, 06:56
Thanks Bronk~! :)

Lost Iowan
09-18-2011, 07:54
One thing in the fire service we teach rookies. When you put on the pack, buckle all buckles. Lean forward from you hips into a 45* angle roughly. Set the pack where you want it on your hips, tighten waist belt. Next, reach up and pull the shoulder straps snug, but not overly tight. Do all this without standing up vertically. Now, stand up and pack should be riding on the hips, and you can adjust it more easily around the shoulders.

I know this doesnt work for everyone, but I have taught a lot of young folks how to carry SCBAs comfortably without killing themselves from too much weight on shoulders.

Just a thought =)

Odd Man Out
09-18-2011, 11:24
One thing in the fire service we teach rookies. When you put on the pack, buckle all buckles. Lean forward from you hips into a 45* angle roughly. Set the pack where you want it on your hips, tighten waist belt. Next, reach up and pull the shoulder straps snug, but not overly tight. Do all this without standing up vertically. Now, stand up and pack should be riding on the hips, and you can adjust it more easily around the shoulders.

I bought my 18 yo daughter a GoLite Jam for her intro to backpaking trip. Early on the second day, she was complaining about her pack being uncomfortableand shoulders hurting. I could see she was struggling. So I had her do pretty much what "Lost" recommended above. When she stood up straight her eyes just lit up. "Wow, so that's what the hip belt if for" she said. Things go much better after that.

Cosmo
09-18-2011, 12:22
That's pretty much how I put on my pack, but after a few miles things just start heading south...the hip belt slides down and the load is back on my shoulders. Tightening the hip belt repeatedly cuts off the blood to my legs. I wonder if I ought to move the hip belt up on the pack a bit?

Cosmo

Hobbler
09-18-2011, 14:16
I know that it is "Old School" and the new, or should I say fashionable conventional wisdom says that it is not PC in most circles, but, have you entertained the thought of an external frame pack? Most of, if not nearly all weight rests on your hips!...I know that balance is an issue fore some people but that can be overcome with a little practice of correct packing and the proper use of hiking poles. Even with a few more ounces of pack weight in your base, you won't feel it and your load probably will feel even lighter than an internal. Also, they breathe better against your back. Just my 2 cents...

Lost Iowan
09-18-2011, 15:47
That's pretty much how I put on my pack, but after a few miles things just start heading south...the hip belt slides down and the load is back on my shoulders. Tightening the hip belt repeatedly cuts off the blood to my legs. I wonder if I ought to move the hip belt up on the pack a bit?

Cosmo

Cosmo, when you set the pack, make sure the bottom of the hip belt is on the top of your hips. You will be able to feel where it is setting at. Cinch the straps down, then pull straight backwards on the shoulder straps to a comfortable snugness. Stand up and the pack should settle on the hips. Takes practice, not that you do not have experience. But if the pack, or even a SCBA, settles "southward" the hip is not tight enough.

I am not sure if youtube has anything about doffing and donning SCBA, but I am sure there is something out there for it. The main thing is to rest it all on the hip platform. Works like a charm, even through something more physically demanding as a structure fire.