PDA

View Full Version : Entering the showshoe world!

ljcsov
09-17-2011, 20:10
Proud to say that my GF and I took the plunge and invested in showshoes! We both opted with Redfeather since they boast quality and are made in the USA. She picked out the Pace while I went with the Trek. Can't wait for the first snow fall! When everyone else is worried about the roads we will be the weirdos romping around the apartment complex in snowshoes. We also opted for the Campmor Gore-Tex Gaiters. Figured you can't go wrong with Gore-Tex and its breathable making them a viable warmer weather gaiter as well.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or info for newbies to the snowshoe world?

Just a Hiker
09-17-2011, 20:25
I have the Tubbs Frontier 30's and they kept me from going crazy during the long winters when I lived in Maine! Snowshoing ended up becoming my favorite Winter activity, and as you'll learn this Winter, it's a great workout! I am not sure about Pennsylvania, but in Maine and New Hampshire, people that snowshoe are welcome in the Cross-country ski parks, so I spent alot of time in those places, which is nice because you don't have to break trail as often. Again, not sure about Pennsylvania, but Maine has an extensive snowmobile trail system, so I used those trails alot as well. Have fun with your new snowshoes!

yappy
09-17-2011, 20:37
I'm an addict up here 2...it is a fantastc workout and come spring when u take off shoes and heavy wintr gear u feel like ur floatg luv tht !

Pedaling Fool
09-17-2011, 20:42
I think you have a typo in your title; I think you meant THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy31wc-w9Co&feature=related). At least that's what I thought of when I saw "showshoe world".

ljcsov
09-17-2011, 23:13
Ya, sorry I can't type sometimes.

I can't wait!! I hear there are some great places around here. Lots of the State parks around Harrisburg, PA have cross country skiing trails! I am hoping to find some other good locations along the AT to cruise around. We are looking forward to it and have never been so excited for it to get snowy!!

yappy
09-18-2011, 00:59
Lol I gto 2 say I'm not alllll tht thrilld abt the coming winter for obvious reasons but we r going 2 the states 4 3 months this winter yippy !

Slosteppin
09-18-2011, 17:53
I do both XC skiing and snowshoeing here in NW Lower MI. Skiers get very unhappy when others walk or showshoe on ski trails. I usually stay completely off trails when snowshoeing.
My snowshoes give me freedom to wander in the woods without trails. Yes I'm now looking forward to a few feet of snow. I've skied in both ME and NH but never took my snowshoes.

Chubbs4U
09-18-2011, 19:02
Was recently looking into a pair myself. What exactly do you look for and what are the better brands? Also do you want the teardrop shape, the hourglass or the "sphere" shape?

Just a Hiker
09-18-2011, 19:15
I do both XC skiing and snowshoeing here in NW Lower MI. Skiers get very unhappy when others walk or showshoe on ski trails. I usually stay completely off trails when snowshoeing.
My snowshoes give me freedom to wander in the woods without trails. Yes I'm now looking forward to a few feet of snow. I've skied in both ME and NH but never took my snowshoes.

I guess people in Maine and New Hampshire just don't have as much to complain about as you do.....and why would they? As you should know, "Classical" Cross-country skiers usually have groomed trails to ski on which people NEVER snowshoe on, and "Skate Style" skiers could care less because they are too competitive to even care......so go Troll somewhere else A$$bag!

ljcsov
09-18-2011, 19:56
Was recently looking into a pair myself. What exactly do you look for and what are the better brands? Also do you want the teardrop shape, the hourglass or the "sphere" shape?
I am no expert but this is what my research revealed.

The "classic" kinds have an aluminum frame and tend to be shaped as an elongated oval. Some has "tails" on the back which I have read allow you greater maneuverability. Recently, companies have developed composite ones that have hourglass or other shapes that differ from the traditional design.

I am not sure as of the advantages. The composite ones flex to better conform to the surface you are on and I think they tend to be shorter. However, the aluminum ones may be more durable and allow you stay on top of the snow better. Maybe someone with better expertise can chime on.

The following brands seem to be quality made. Here is what I have found.

Redfeather's are USA made quality snowshoes.
TSL are made in USA and France.
Tubbs are a great brand but some are made out of the US.
Atlas is another quality brand but are imported from China/Taiwan.

I went with the Redfeathers.

Things to look for:
Quality of the crampons / placement- Most snowshoes online will have a picture at the top / bottom. Check out the bottom where the better ones have extra crampons or spikes to help traction on hills.
Weight - some are lighter than others
Bindings - there are a ton of different binding designs. It looks like some made by Tubbs (the Xplorer) have problems with loosening.

From what I've read it seems to be a good idea to avoid the bottom line as they skimp on some key features.

Sierratradingpost.com has a great selection with some low low prices. Keep an eye out for 20% off and 30% off coupons to couple with the already great deals.

Toolshed
09-18-2011, 21:35
I guess people in Maine and New Hampshire just don't have as much to complain about as you do.....and why would they? As you should know, "Classical" Cross-country skiers usually have groomed trails to ski on which people NEVER snowshoe on, and "Skate Style" skiers could care less because they are too competitive to even care......so go Troll somewhere else A$$bag!
Wow!! Lighten up - He is lust stating what he sees in MI much like what you were doing. As one who snowshoes and backcountry ski's, I have seen other skiers get upse if someone snowshoes on their trail. Not often, but it happens. I don't mind snowshoers breaking out a trail for me when I am in the puckerbrush, but not everyone thinks like me...

Just a Hiker
09-18-2011, 21:56
Wow!! Lighten up - He is lust stating what he sees in MI much like what you were doing. As one who snowshoes and backcountry ski's, I have seen other skiers get upse if someone snowshoes on their trail. Not often, but it happens. I don't mind snowshoers breaking out a trail for me when I am in the puckerbrush, but not everyone thinks like me...

And I was just stating my opinion on what I see as typical passive aggressive bull***** that is so common here on Whiteblaze......but since you and this other guy are so concerned, I only snowshoe on "Multi Use" trails and I always get permission from land owners when I snowshoe on private land!

Chubbs4U
09-18-2011, 21:58
I am no expert but this is what my research revealed.

The "classic" kinds have an aluminum frame and tend to be shaped as an elongated oval. Some has "tails" on the back which I have read allow you greater maneuverability. Recently, companies have developed composite ones that have hourglass or other shapes that differ from the traditional design.

I am not sure as of the advantages. The composite ones flex to better conform to the surface you are on and I think they tend to be shorter. However, the aluminum ones may be more durable and allow you stay on top of the snow better. Maybe someone with better expertise can chime on.

The following brands seem to be quality made. Here is what I have found.

Redfeather's are USA made quality snowshoes.
TSL are made in USA and France.
Tubbs are a great brand but some are made out of the US.
Atlas is another quality brand but are imported from China/Taiwan.

I went with the Redfeathers.

Things to look for:
Quality of the crampons / placement- Most snowshoes online will have a picture at the top / bottom. Check out the bottom where the better ones have extra crampons or spikes to help traction on hills.
Weight - some are lighter than others
Bindings - there are a ton of different binding designs. It looks like some made by Tubbs (the Xplorer) have problems with loosening.

From what I've read it seems to be a good idea to avoid the bottom line as they skimp on some key features.

Sierratradingpost.com has a great selection with some low low prices. Keep an eye out for 20% off and 30% off coupons to couple with the already great deals.

Yeah i just ordered a pair from STP. Well see. Thanks for the help.

ljcsov
09-18-2011, 22:57
Yeah i just ordered a pair from STP. Well see. Thanks for the help.

What did you go with?

Mags
09-18-2011, 22:59
I wrote this doc about snowshoeing...
http://www.pmags.com/intoduction-to-snowshoeing-basics

Maybe it will help?

Even has a little blurb about etiquette.

Generally, it is good form to not snowshoe on ski tracks if possible. Deeper in the backcoutry, don't think it matters as much. YMMV. In many area where there is multi-use, there are often skier only and snowshoer only trails. Eliminate potential "DOH!" type accidents. :)

Feral Bill
09-18-2011, 23:03
I don't think I saw it above. You may well like to have a ski pole ot two while you snowshoe. Otherwise, I would stay off of xc skier's set or broken
tracks.

yappy
09-18-2011, 23:42
I never see any1 up here other then the mushers so no1 really cares abt where folks go there r no desiginated trails thank you god !

ljcsov
09-20-2011, 08:45
I'm only going to snowshoe in places that piss people off. This is fun.

Tipi Walter
09-20-2011, 12:33
I've often thought of getting a pair of snowshoes (and add four lbs to my already heavy kit) but realistically speaking many of the trails in the Southeast or even in the whole of the Appalachians either don't get deep enough to need them (I can easily walk thru 12 inches of snow or less), or the trails (green tunnels) become snow-loaded and all the brush and evergreens and rhododendrons hang over the trail covered by heavy snow. Snowshoes would not help in these "snowdowns" no matter how deep the snow, cuz you'll be belly crawling the whole time anyway.

Chubbs4U
09-20-2011, 22:33
Well Im rethinking now. Which would you choose. Im a bit heavy so need the bigger ones...
http://www.redfeather.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=33 the Ultras
http://tubbssnowshoes.com/snowshoes/mens/venture-m
http://tubbssnowshoes.com/snowshoes/mens/frontier-m

Ordered a pair but they wont ship for a few weeks so I can change my mind.

Chubbs4U
09-21-2011, 12:07
Sorry bump..

ljcsov
09-24-2011, 23:45
Sorry, took me a bit to respond.

The Redfeathers are made in the USA if that matters to you.

IDK about those two Tubbs models from my research. I heard the xplore have poor bindings that tend to loosen constantly. I stayed away from them because I figured that'd be a huge headache.

My GF's Redfeather Paces and my Treks arrived and they seem awesome. Nice build. Super light. Sturdy bindings. Aggressive crampons. Cool designs.

I am betting those Tubbs are decent too.

Might just want to go with whatever is cheaper or whichever look you like the best unless someone else chimes in.

As for me, I was curious about my boots.

I have these: http://www.salomon.com/us/product/exit-2-aero.html

I water proofed them and I was wondering if those boots combined with high Gore-Tex gaiters would be sufficient. I am hoping so. Otherwise, I'll have to find me some winter boots.