PDA

View Full Version : Anyone starting early?

moocow
09-18-2011, 01:10
I mean like, real early. Anyone looking to start in February. Somehow I've got to finish the trail before early to mid-August. Just looking to make sure I won't be the only one to do it. (Yes, I know all the 'extras' that need to be carried early on.)

fireneck
09-18-2011, 06:49
I starting in February... Feb 29th, which is really not that early, and if it weren't a leap year it would be March 1st.

mountain squid
09-18-2011, 17:09
Check the spreadsheet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2012thruhikers) out. 19 starting in Feb and only 1 starting in Jan, so far.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Fog Horn
09-18-2011, 18:14
MS my deployment is off, so I'm back in the game, and will be leaving on leap day still, hopefully :) Thanks for all your hard work on that spreadsheet!

mountain squid
09-18-2011, 19:32
You're Welcome, Fog Horn and you are back on the list! No more dropping off allowed . . . otherwise you might incur a 50 mile penalty . . . :D

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Fog Horn
09-18-2011, 20:21
Ha! What is fifty miles when you have over two thousand to accomplish. Just please make sure they are at the beginning and not the end haha

moocow
09-18-2011, 21:48
thanks for posting that link. i've seen it before but, for some reason, i couldn't find it today.

Tundra
09-19-2011, 00:55
I mean like, real early. Anyone looking to start in February. Somehow I've got to finish the trail before early to mid-August. Just looking to make sure I won't be the only one to do it. (Yes, I know all the 'extras' that need to be carried early on.)

I'll be starting right around new years day. I'm really excited! I just hope there are some other people enjoying the snow and quiet trails. :)Hopefully, we'll cross paths out there. I'll be moving pretty slow at first due to trail conditions and my lack of hiker legs. I want to finish by early June so I can return to Alaska and run my summer business. It will be quite a push but, I've completed a thru before so I feel like I know what I'm getting into. Happy Trails!

Burklow
09-19-2011, 16:49
I would like to finish around early Aug as well. Probably starting around late Feb to early March. Maybe I will see you out there?

Sensei
09-20-2011, 02:53

I wouldn't worry about being lonely out there. I started Feb. 20 this year and was concerned about the same thing, but I met plenty of other people who all started around the same time as me, including five other hikers on the first day. In my opinion, February is a great time to start the trail (as long as you don't mind the cold!) because there's plenty of company to be had but not so much that the trail will be crowded.

Sensei

The Monk
09-26-2011, 04:59
I am planning on starting no later than February 1st. :D

Slo-go'en
09-26-2011, 09:11
It would be interesting if the thru-hiker spreadsheet could be expanded to include finish date/location in addition to start dates. If enough people reported back, it would help determine the drop out rate (or completion rate) vs start date (which of course is only one of many factors, but an important one).

mountain squid
09-27-2011, 18:36
If a hiker reports their completion date in the Registry thread or if they send me a PM, I highlight the accomplishment at the beginning of the spreadsheet. 2011 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2011thruhikers) already has 9 completions. I don't believe enough will report back to collect any kind of data. Also, there really isn't any way to determine how many actually started to begin with.

I'll try to remember when I start the 2013 Registry Thread to mention for hikers to report back upon completion.

Good Luck to everyone currently hiking and to those planning for next year!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Slo-go'en
09-27-2011, 20:51
I'll try to remember when I start the 2013 Registry Thread to mention for hikers to report back upon completion.

It's probably more likely someone completing the trail will report back then those who don't. Try to encourage those who sign up in the registry to:
1. verify they actually started and when.
2. Report back where and when they ended the hike, even it if wasn't all the way.
3. optional - if they didn't go all the way, why not?

This kind of data could be very informative and an eye opener if enough people participated. It could end a lot of speculation.

Mister
11-09-2011, 11:22
We had to change our 2011 start date so many times that we'll be starting on New Years hopefully. Everything finally seems to be in order so, Tundra my fiancee and I should see you there :-)

DapperD
11-10-2011, 07:36
It's probably more likely someone completing the trail will report back then those who don't. Try to encourage those who sign up in the registry to:
1. verify they actually started and when.
2. Report back where and when they ended the hike, even it if wasn't all the way.
3. optional - if they didn't go all the way, why not?

This kind of data could be very informative and an eye opener if enough people participated. It could end a lot of speculation.I doubt you will be able to "encourage" people to do this. Many people who list themselves in the thru-hike registry probably may not even begin the hike due to various reasons. I was reading here where someone stated to the effect that they could tell by the many unfinished online journals how many people who are out there contemplating or actually attempting thru-hikes just stop updating them and then they just remain unfinished, as do their hikes.