PDA

View Full Version : BA insulated aircore condensation

mark schofield
09-18-2011, 07:30
I'm into my third season with the BA insulated aircore. So far for me trouble free. No leaks, valves fine. I'm wondering about the condensation that has built up inside, and if there is any way to remove it. I know that there are pumps to fill them but it's a bit late for that. The moisture must add a little weight and also cut down of the insulating capabilities. Thanks for any thoughts. Mark S

4eyedbuzzard
09-18-2011, 08:48
Don't know of any mechanical devices other than a vacuum pump (which might work, but might just suck the bag flat and not do much)that would do this, but here's my dirt-bag fix. Inflate the pad, but leave it somewhat soft. Put it in the sun for a while (or warm it up somehow - car in sun would work too) and let it get as warm as possible. This will raise the temp and should cause the moisture to go to a vapor state. Slowly deflate the bag as normal forcing out the moisture laden air. Doing this once or twice should do the trick. Remember that even if you had used a pump, the air going in would still have moisture in it esp on humid days, just not quite as much as the more saturated air from your lungs.

mark schofield
09-18-2011, 09:23
Thanks Buzzard; that makes sense. I'll lay it out on some tar paper and after a while roll it up around a broom stick to get out all the air possible. I'll weigh it before and after and see what difference there is. And on my next trip to REI, I'll bring it up and see what it weighs compared to a new one.

Serial 07
09-18-2011, 17:04
open the valve and hang it upside down with the valve corner angled so it's the closest to the ground...watch the saliva drip out...

mark schofield
09-19-2011, 14:26
open the valve and hang it upside down with the valve corner angled so it's the closest to the ground...watch the saliva drip out...

Hi Mark-

Thanks for the email. We have never seen issues associated with the moisture build up inside of the pad with the insulation or materials used with the pad. The best thing to help clear out any residual moisture in the pad is to store the pad flat or folded in half with the valve open. This will help any moisture in the pad dissipate between trips.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Drew

Drew Williams

Big Agnes Inc.
tel: 877-554-8975
direct: 970-871-1034
www.bigagnes.com (http://www.bigagnes.com/)
Twitter: @big_agnes

The Mother of Comfort!

ChinMusic
09-19-2011, 15:03
For such a pad I would weigh it the day I get it and recheck over time to see if it gets heavier. The extra weight would be from water gain.

Bloomer
09-23-2011, 00:05
I bought one of these mummy pads and am worried about it leaking on a extended trip. Have BA changed and materials or construction? Lots of hikers complaining about leaking.

4Bears
09-24-2011, 11:35
This may be a sollution to the moisture problem, I saw this link on another thread here, it only wieghs a couple ounces and sured can't take up much space.
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Floats-Toys-and-Games/Floats-and-Lounges/76052.html