PDA

View Full Version : Poll for thru-hikers

Easyhiker
12-10-2002, 19:12
Importance of Whiteblazes

Hammock Hanger
12-11-2002, 13:33
I have to say I followed the White as much as possible. Let's say 9.5 times out of 10. I didn't back track if I went into a shelter and it went out another way, every time. I did go visit one waterfall. -- It was a wonderful journey and I felt I was doing it honestly. I saw a guy out there that tried to touch each white blaze as he went by. I'm not that anal and thought it was a bit ridiculous. Other then those folks who would suddenly appear 100 miles ahead every once in awhile, I felt most hikers were doing miles and working the adventure. Hammock Hanger

DebW
12-11-2002, 15:07
In my, so far, 300 miles of section hiking on the AT, I've followed all the white blazes. Even backtracked on the blue blaze shelter loops. Occassionally walked back 10 feet to catch a blaze I'd missed. Not so much because it was that important - it was more like playing a silly game so I could laugh at myself for it. Not sure how compulsive I've be on a thru. Any body meet a hiker in 2001 named Insane. He walked back 14 miles to do 1/4 mile of trail he'd missed.

gravityman
12-11-2002, 15:10
You could call me Mr. Average. I think that, like most people, I started off wanted to hike the AT the whole way, every step. Shelter loops were the first violation of my conviction. Then came the Creeper out of Damascus. Finally it was pretty much whatever we felt like doing. I did feel dirty when we blue blazed to a road at Dragon's tooth and then went to Catabwa, and skipped the section of trail from dragons tooth to catabwa. And we paid for it 'cause we missed some trail magic.

Of course at that point my wife was a hurtin' unit. That, and it gave her a great deal of pleasure to see me agonize over taking a short cut to boost her moral or following my edict.

Most important is enjoying the journey. I wanted to be rigid, but realized that in order to keep hiking I needed to be a lot more flexible. Especially true as a couple.

Gravity Man

Peaks
12-11-2002, 17:31
I followed the blue blazes (or actually cairns) to catch some peaks that the AT misses, especially along the Presidential Range.

Easyhiker
12-11-2002, 18:31
Ya know I was thinking about this the last couple days and have came to the conclusion that I would just be happy to be in the mountains again. And if I do make it to Katahdin with out yellow blazin' that would be a feat in itself. I'm not to concerned about having my name listed with hundreds of others in ATN. Last year I was gung-ho on following all the white blazes and only got to Gatlinburg. This year im going to the trail and mountains just to be there not accomplish anything like I set out to do last year.

Easyhiker
12-11-2002, 22:28
Originally posted by DebW
In my, so far, 300 miles of section hiking on the AT, I've followed all the white blazes. Even backtracked on the blue blaze shelter loops. Occassionally walked back 10 feet to catch a blaze I'd missed. Not so much because it was that important - it was more like playing a silly game so I could laugh at myself for it. Not sure how compulsive I've be on a thru. Any body meet a hiker in 2001 named Insane. He walked back 14 miles to do 1/4 mile of trail he'd missed.

Is this a photo of the Insane your talking about. I met him in the Smokys back in March.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=617

DebW
12-11-2002, 22:38
Originally posted by Easyhiker
Is this a photo of the Insane your talking about. I met him in the Smokys back in March.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=617

No, the Insane I met was an older gentleman. Probably around 60. Met him in Cooper Lodge on Killington in VT in July 2001.

Kozmic Zian
02-11-2004, 11:17
Yea, ya know....Once you get out there the 1st time and realize how hard it is to actually do, and how far it is to Maine (GA) or if you're just sectioning (still hard to do)....you want to be pure, we all do, but the reality and the dream are very different things. I think you do the best you can to progress up The Trail without cheatin' (yellow blazing). Sometimes you miss a small ageis or exit. Or youre hitch into town and out brings you to a different entre'. Well what are you gonna do, backtrack....I don't think so! So we move on. As long as you're true to yourself and you do this thing (hiking) you're the one you have to live with. I say hike your own hike.KZ

papa john
02-11-2004, 11:31
I was talking to Jeff (Hike Inn-Fontana Dam) about the lists of people who claim thru-hiker status. He says he and Nancy see those names and recognize a lot of them as people they personally took to the bus station and/or airport. Now, it is possible that those same people might have come back unbeknownst to Jeff and finished, but I would seriously doubt that a lot of them did. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the ATN thru-hiker lists anymore.

jollies
02-11-2004, 12:08
I made it a point to conciously pass every white blaze while I thru-hiked this past summer. If I missed one by accident, I didn't beat myself up over it, but you can bet I remember where they were!

hungryhowie
02-12-2004, 15:13
I like hiking. I like sojourning.

I don't care if I follow the white blazes, blue blazes, or any blazes at all. I've walked along roads, cut cross country, and hitch-hiked around portions of the trail. I've enjoyed some hikes so much that I've done whatever I can to make them longer, other's I've tried to get through as fast as I can. Sometimes I like being in the woods, sometimes I like being in civilization.

whatever.

-Howie

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2004, 15:33
I've always made it a point to be a purist, sometimes a fanatical one. On my first few hikes, I insisted on going THRU blowdowns, not around them, and was frequently a bloody mess by the end of the day.

I know better now. I expect to do around a thousand miles this spring and summer, picking and choosing where I'll go and how long I'll be there. I expect to go thru favorite sections (Roan Highlands, Southwest Virginia, etc.) at a much slower pace than I usually do, so I can really enjoy them. I also expect to blue-blaze like crazy, to check out side trails, the old A.T., or whatever I feel like.

To the 2004 folks----however you decide to hike this year, it's all good. But whether you're a purist or not, one bit of advice: Some of us are lucky enough to keep going back, but for many folks on the Trail, it's a one-time journey. Slow down and enjoy it! Forget about keeping a rigid schedule---if you come to a pretty place at 2 PM and wanna stop for the day, DO IT! You come to a gorgeous place and wanna stay there ALL DAY LONG and not hike at all, do it! Zero-mileage days don't have to be in town. And if you see signs or blue-blaze trails that say "waterfall" or"viewpoint", well take a few minutes and check 'em out. There are some very beautiful things that are close, but not actually ON the Trail, and it's amazing how many folks never see them because they won't take the time. Most of you will be out there 170-190 days, so taking a few side trails or side hikes every other day will not affect your schedule.

I don't regret in the slightest that I was a "purist" while I hiked......what I do regret tho, is that I paid too much attention to keeping a schedule, and in so doing, I didn't spend enough time at a lot of places; there were places I managed to never camp at even tho I passed them 8 or 9 times; there are still plenty of waterfalls and blue blazes I've never checked out. I hope to correct some of that this year. This is the year I plan to really explore the Trail by spending a significant ammount of time OFF of it, and I urge others to consider doing likewise: If you want to hike a pure hike and stick to the Whiteblazes, I salute you. There aren't many of us that are determined to actually hike the entire Trail without skipping bits here and there. But don't be a fanatic about it; in addition to following the White blazes, don't neglect the Blue ones.

A-Train
02-12-2004, 16:25
Definately agree with Jack. I respect anyone who wants to keep a totally pure hike. For me, I started out not caring, and just stuck to the whites because thats what i did, and it ended up being a habit. I had no reason to always go pure, but it just became a routine and it felt fine.

As said above, just make sure you are doing things for the right reasons. I saw some folks who were fanatical and very serious about hitting every blaze, but it seemed like it became more important to say they did it than the actual meaning of it. Whatever you do, enjoy it and get the most out of it. It could be your only hike

Smooth03
02-12-2004, 20:13
I agree with Jack and A-Train(think I met you on my SOBO and your NOBO thru-hike in the whites. I made some idiot comment about my sister being from Brooklyn, NY as well). I believe there is indeed some credence to the idea of "hiking your own hike". While I don't want to use the term "purist", I think I only missed maybe 200 yards of the AT and that was when I got lost on a re-route. Its not a contest, there is no prize at the end so frankly I don't get caught up in the hoopla of who is a purist, who is a blue-blazer and who is a yellow blazer. Yellow blazer's to me however tend to cross the line a bit. I heard stories from NOBOs that some "thru-hikers" would simply hitch up the trail so that they could get shelter space to avoid the rain.
Maybe this was an isolated incident but it is an example of the only time I got(get) mad at yellow blazers(those who do significant amounts, I'm not talking about skipping 5 miles on one incident). Along the trail there are countless people who pour out their hearts and homes to provide shelter and food to long distance hikers. I always hated it though when yellow blazers would take advantage of these opportunities and claim to be "thru-hikers".
In the end though its all semantics. As long as a person is being true to themselves and having fun they can be as anal, or as unattentive to white blazes as they desire.

lowthesd
02-12-2004, 20:53
Since many peaks are on blues and the trail was "designed" to go across the "major" peaks of the Appalachians and especially through the whites it bypasses several summits, following the whites doesn't encompass the full thought of what the trail is supposed to be. the AT was fashioned after the Long Trail, which summits the peaks of VT. The AT is supposed to summit the peaks of the Appalachians.

Mike Drinkuth
02-12-2004, 21:32
I feel weird even replying to this question. I hike away from "civilization" to avoid this kind of nit-picking! I am surprised that so many hikers are concerned with such a non-issue!!!!!
You do what YOU do....others do what THEY do....hasn't everyone figured this out by now????????
Please stop thinking about other experiences and concentrate on your own; in order to make it what ~YOU~ want it to be!!!
We might as well be posting about how other hikers cut their pubic hair or how we like our coffee!!!
This trail is a tool for focusing INWARD not outward!
Please, everyone, stop focusing on other people and stop lifting yourself before others. It's too easy, simple, and tacky.
Weather you hike every blaze or not....weather you hike this trail AT ALL or not...weather you choose to shoot rubberbands at A.T. hikers or not, it just doesn't matter.
PLEASE SIMPLIFY, my friends.
I love you guys(I love everyone) ...I especially love anyone who hikes any trail...I couldn't be more excited about sharing good times with you folks this year but if the conversation is dominated by the "purist-versus-non-purist argument" i'm not going to have a lot to say because I expect long distance hikers to think in bigger terms.
C'mon folks...(when it doesn't affect you) WHO CARES what others do!!!!!??????
I'm not trying to be "above it all", I'm just trying to be a reminder. :datz

lowthesd
02-12-2004, 21:34
message well spoke and well taken!

Smooth03
02-12-2004, 22:17
Awwwww. I love the irony. Someone ranting and raving about how we should all stop ranting and raving.

I never could get good coffee on the trail. Instant sucked. Tea-bag style coffee was too weak. "Cowboy" coffee wasn't very good either. In the end I switched to tea.

I feel weird even replying to this question. I hike away from "civilization" to avoid this kind of nit-picking! I am surprised that so many hikers are concerned with such a non-issue!!!!!
You do what YOU do....others do what THEY do....hasn't everyone figured this out by now????????
Please stop thinking about other experiences and concentrate on your own; in order to make it what ~YOU~ want it to be!!!
We might as well be posting about how other hikers cut their pubic hair or how we like our coffee!!!
Please, everyone, stop focusing on other people and stop lifting yourself before others. It's too easy, simple, and tacky.
Weather you hike every blaze or not....weather you hike this trail AT ALL or not...weather you choose to shoot rubberbands at A.T. hikers or not, it just doesn't matter.
I love you guys(I love everyone) ...I especially love anyone who hikes any trail...I couldn't be more excited about sharing good times with you folks this year but if the conversation is dominated by the "purist-versus-non-purist argument" i'm not going to have a lot to say because I expect long distance hikers to think in bigger terms.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2004, 22:22
I AM the KING of blue-blazing! :cool:

Kozmic Zian
02-12-2004, 22:47

Yea......Comon Mike. Settle down a little....Don't take it so seriously....It's(White Blaze) a forum for discussion and without differences there'd be no Forum. Nobody here, I don't think is trying to 1 up anyone else...We're all just trying to share experiences and have a little fun. I'm the one to suggest this, because when I first got on, just recently, I did the same thing. So lighten the load, hike light, think light....You'll have a lot more fun. I know I have. By the way, guys, my apologies for being so hasty, L. Wolf, you out there?Kozmic Zian:datz

Joel Rash
02-12-2004, 23:27
I think this is certainly a fair discussion, whatever side you come down on. I've been reading a lot of books about the trail while I get ready to launch my hiking web site, and several authors have issued words of caution. If you don't have any particular desire to adhere to the white blazes it isn't an issue. If however you think you want to make a 'pure' hike, then beware the slippery slope of cutting corners. Writers talk about the reasonable compromises - hiking into the shelter from one side, and hiking out to the trail on the other. Getting off-trail then bushwacking back to it without backtracking every blaze. Very few people would think these are violating the spirit of a pure hike.

From there it gets more tricky. Maybe the official trail looks tough and there is a blue blaze around around the big climbs. There is certainly a difference between taking a blue blaze to see a waterfall or something new, and taking a blue blaze to avoid a tough section of trail.

A different situation is hitchiking into town from the south, then hitching back to the trail on the north and missing a few miles. Maybe you hitch up the trail a bit to catch up with some friends, or to get to the next post office to get a mail drop. Pretty soon skipping a big section of the trail doesn't seem like a big deal.

All of this is okay if you're okay with it, but there really isn't any way to go back. When you think of skipping miles, remember how you felt when you stood on Springer, and think of how you'll feel on Katahdin when you finish. If intentionally missing a hard section of trail will diminish your sense of accomplishment at the end, then resist the urge.

Kelly Winters' 'Walking Home' does a nice honest job of talking about the temptation of blue or yellow blazing and the ramifications.

Joel

P.S. For the record I've only done about 500 miles on the AT, and other than a couple shelter loops and some foggy or snowy minutes searching for the trail, I've stuck to the white blazes.

P.P.S. I talked to a couple who were telling me about their thruhike, which only took them four months. I mentioned that they were really moving and the guy said 'yeah, we missed a bit but did 13 of the 14 states.' Guess what? They skipped ALL of Virginia!

screwysquirrel
02-13-2004, 00:06
I AM the KING of blue-blazing! :cool:
I thought Pirate was the King? :clap :clap

A-Train
02-13-2004, 01:24
Yeah Smooth, I remember meeting. You were with Waldo. Saw you just before Zealand Falls Hut. And now i do remember you saying your sister lived in brooklyn. Shes a real nice gal. Anyway, it was nice to meet you and you were pretty nice . To think you were a SOBO :)

Rain Man
02-13-2004, 14:27
P.P.S. I talked to a couple who were telling me about their thruhike, which only took them four months. I mentioned that they were really moving and the guy said 'yeah, we missed a bit but did 13 of the 14 states.' Guess what? They skipped ALL of Virginia!

Well, you know, 13 out of 14 ain't too bad. LOL

And I agree with your comments about Kelly Winters' book, "Walking Home." A fine book and good analysis of skipping miles of trail.

Rain Man

Peaks
02-13-2004, 21:14
Since many peaks are on blues and the trail was "designed" to go across the "major" peaks of the Appalachians and especially through the whites it bypasses several summits, following the whites doesn't encompass the full thought of what the trail is supposed to be. the AT was fashioned after the Long Trail, which summits the peaks of VT. The AT is supposed to summit the peaks of the Appalachians.

I think that it's mainly in the Whites and Western Maine where the AT doesn't go over summits. And I blue blazed to them all (Even tried to bag Reddington).

Smooth03
02-16-2004, 01:10
Just a question A-train. I've noticed that you've mentioned a possible SOBO thru-hike either near or far in the future for you. Just looking for a different experience or do you feel you would have enjoyed a SOBO trip more? Not trying to ask this with any bit if SOBO vs NOBO "arrogance", just interested.

Yeah Smooth, I remember meeting. You were with Waldo. Saw you just before Zealand Falls Hut. And now i do remember you saying your sister lived in brooklyn. Shes a real nice gal. Anyway, it was nice to meet you and you were pretty nice . To think you were a SOBO :)

jersey joe
02-16-2004, 02:36
On my thru I walked every step of the trail, with my pack on. When I got to Katahdin I was completely satisfied with my hike. If you get to Katahdin(or Springer) and your happy with YOUR thru hike, thats all that matters!

A-Train
02-16-2004, 11:24
Smooth, The SOBO hike is something I do want to do (sometime in the future) more or less to justify to myself hiking it all again, when face it, there are tons of other great trails. I feel like my hike would have to be drastically different and a SOBO would have to qualify as that. Or I would leave on may 15th and finish on the 15th of october. Totally different scenary, heat, flowers, different people, different types of people, more actual summer, a more challenging whites, fall colors towards the end, chillly nights. But no I don't regret anything about starting early or going NOBO. Wouldn't have changed it for the world.

steph
02-16-2004, 16:02
Hey Mike, doesn't this sound familiar...

"Piping hot, black as night, and strong enough to knock down a mule.
That's what I want first thing in the mornin on the trail.
How do you make it?"

RAT
03-25-2004, 02:58
Damn, Jack, sounds like you have gone soft on us !! Perhaps we have finally converted you?? lol Lone Wolf and I have hiked more white blazes by accident than many have on purpose !! And we are without a doubt the KINGS of Blue ! Blue Rulz ! HAIRNT ! See ya both on the "Blue Blaze" RAT

oyvay
03-25-2004, 19:34
Ole' BJ doing blue blazes. I guess the devil is taking skiing lessons! :rolleyes:

phatfish
11-18-2005, 22:05
I plan to thru hike in 2006 and am wondering if I should re-hike the ~300 mile stretch from rockfish gap (south end of snp) to port clinton that I have section hiked.

I think that I will plan to skip it (or rather not re-hike it) unless I want to stay with a group I'm with. Hell, or maybe I'll have some friends/family drop off my longboard and skate skyline drive...he he. :-? That pack might make an already dangerous idea suicidal. Perhaps I'll start the trend of slack skating. :bse

I hike to have fun and enjoy the outdoors. If following every white blaze is fun, knock yourself out. If hiking (or skating ;) ) the trail some other way is fun, then do that.

Although I do think that skipping ANY state, let alone VA:D and saying you thru-hiked is a bit much.