PDA

View Full Version : Presidential Range trail conditions last week of May?

mountainman
09-18-2011, 16:01
i know is is a log time off , i,m planning to hike Kinsman Notch to Gorham the last week of May. Should the trail be free of snow and ice by then?

hikerboy57
09-18-2011, 17:29
you can have snow on Mt washington any time of year, Ive seen snow in the ravines as late as end of July.you'll need your cold weather gear for the whites in may.the lower elevations should be fine, but nighttime temps in the 30s above treeline is not unusual for that time of year.

Chaco Taco
09-18-2011, 17:42
memorial weekend, Mt washington still had a significant amount if snow on it.

KEDonahue
09-18-2011, 20:15
Snow should be mostly starting to melt off the lower elevations by then, some hard packed spots on heavily used trails. Above the alpine zone I'm willing to bet you will have a considerable amount of snow remaining in some spots. Three words - slippery when wet.

peakbagger
09-19-2011, 08:03
The conditions potentially will be "interesting", The ridges will be clear with occasional snow fields. Down in the valleys there still could be deep possibly "rotten" snow. Many of the streams will be difficult to cross. If we have an early spring, the black flies will be out in force.

MelNino
09-19-2011, 09:15
This past memorial day weekend was great weather for our hike on Mt Washington. Past hikes (at the same time) we have hiked through snow. Be ready for anything. Have a great hike!

Beware the black flies....they attcked me with full force last year. *shudders in memory*