PDA

View Full Version : doing it right...approach(bill bryson way)

ekeverette
09-18-2011, 17:17
anyone who has read "walk in the woods", i want to do what bill bryson did. my 1st plan was to stay at the hiker's hostel, and get shuttled to the approach.... but in the book, bill stays at a place called amicalola falls lodge, eats breakfast, and is on his way.... i don't know the area.. is this place bill stayed at still there, if so that's the way i want to do it. i read the book really carefully, i think he did the approach, can someone tell me, who knows that neck of the woods.... thanks.

Fog Horn
09-18-2011, 17:26
According to the 2010 Companion, the lodge is still there and is still an option. It lists it at 75-200 dollars per night. The Hiker Hostel has a thru hiker special including shuttles, $38 private room, or $16 just a bunk, and breakfast is included for that place too.

I think for most people it comes down to money.

ekeverette
09-18-2011, 18:07
thanks fog horn

Fog Horn
09-18-2011, 18:08
Anytime :) Luckily I had just pulled the book out a few minutes prior to seeing your question, so it was handy and no problem.

DapperD
09-18-2011, 18:16
anyone who has read "walk in the woods", i want to do what bill bryson did. my 1st plan was to stay at the hiker's hostel, and get shuttled to the approach.... but in the book, bill stays at a place called amicalola falls lodge, eats breakfast, and is on his way.... i don't know the area.. is this place bill stayed at still there, if so that's the way i want to do it. i read the book really carefully, i think he did the approach, can someone tell me, who knows that neck of the woods.... thanks.I don't know the area firsthand, but through reading about Amicalola Falls State Park, and having read "A Walk in the Woods", I learned there is a lodge there. You can rent a room when you arrive at the park (may be better to call and reserve ahead of time) and begin your thru-hike right there, as I believe the lodge is located about a mile up and just off the Approach Trail to Springer Mountain. In Bill Schuette's book about his thru hike of the AT, called White Blaze Fever (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1390061.White_Blaze_Fever), this is what he did. He hiked up the approach trail from the Amicalola visitors center after weighing his pack, and then headed to Amicalola Lodge for the night. The next day he left the lodge, and proceeded back to the approach trail to Springer Mountain. He had made reservations ahead of time and received what he called the "Mountain Dew" special, which included the lodges breakfast buffet. I think if you don't mind paying a little more, and can get delivered right to the park, this is definitly a fine way to begin your journey!

Ladytrekker
09-18-2011, 18:30
I stayed at the Amicalola Falls this summer and ate at the lodge. Amicalola Falls SP is the beginning of the Approach Trail it is 8.8 miles from Springer Mountain where the AT begins in the south. The lodge is in the state park on the hill. For lunch and dinner they do a buffet which is pretty good and you sit in the dining room where one entire wall is glass overlooking the foothills. The approach trail is where the 632 steps going up to the top of the falls and then heads into the woods towards Springer Mountain. There is also a shelter for hikers right behind visitors center.
These are some pics from Amicalola and a pic of the shelter behind vistors center. Have a great hike.

ekeverette
09-18-2011, 18:43
great help you guys...... thanks

Odd Man Out
09-18-2011, 19:26
Now if you are really doing the approach trail as described in the book, you have to jettison all of excess weight from your pack while swearing, and then on your first evening on the trail discover that all the "excess" weight you left along side the approach trail was you food.

ekeverette
09-18-2011, 19:54
that's a good one omo!

bigcranky
09-19-2011, 11:55
My hiking partner and I stayed at the lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park when we did our Georgia section hike a couple of years ago in March. The rate was under $100 for the night, breakfast was excellent (buffet style), and the view from the room was just gorgeous.

I've also stayed at the Hiker Hostel and been shuttled to Springer. That has its charms, too. I would recommend either of these options. The Lodge is probably better if you have a group coming to see you off on your trip, as everyone can stay there if they want.

hobby
09-19-2011, 12:25
i've stayed there and eaten there in the last year...nice place & good food.
However, I could not find Byrson's waitress.....Rayleen?

Hoofit
09-19-2011, 13:14
If you want to do the trail like 'Bill Bryson', then you'll never finish.........
(Good storyteller, not much of a hiker)
Of course, if you can write a good story, then you you could stay at all the fancy places but like Bill, probably not make it much further than Gatlinburg, or 'dollyland', as some refer to it...
If you want the real scoop on the trail, talk to someone like 'Baltimore Jack', whose hiked the whole thing seven or eight times.
Good luck with it, the trail is a beautiful place

Jeff
09-19-2011, 13:20
Get some real good information at The Gathering. This year it is Oct 7,8 and 9 in North Adams, MA.

http://aldha.org/program_highlights_2011.htm

jesse
09-19-2011, 13:33
Great place. Breakfast buffet, $5. Besides, if your out there to enjoy nature and see wonderful sights, why would you want to skip the largest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi.

http://www.gastateparks.org/AmicalolaFalls

MyName1sMud
09-21-2011, 16:09
I'm still having trouble deciding if I want to stay there at the start or the end of my hike.... choices choices choices

Thatguy
09-21-2011, 16:30
I too read Bill Bryson's "A walk in the woods" and like him I stayed at Amacola Falls Lodge. I also did the approach trail.

I know you want to do this but you have bigger questions to ask yourself such as...why?

If you want to have the Bill Bryson experience try to remember he wrote a book so that it would sell and probably fudged more than we'll ever know. His goal in writing the book was entertainment and not an actual depection of the hike.

How much do you know about backpacking? How much experience do you have backpacking? Chosing equipment alone can get quite involved. Don't think hiking the AT is such an easy thing you can just "wing it" because Bryson did. To do this type of long distance hike takes planning, knowledge and expereince. Anybody who has tried to figure it out as they went knows that can make your AT experience a difficult one. You might also want to be honest with yourself about what physical shape you're in. How much do you want to struggle?

Do you want to do the approach trail just becaue Bill Bryson did it? I can tell you it's not necessary. 8.8 annoying miles that aren't even counted when the AT starts. Should I hike the AT again I will not do the approach trail. I just don't see the point. There are others who feel the same as I do.

Bill Bryson's book may have been entertaining but hiking the AT requires and understand of the reality that goes with it.

Not trying to be discouraging but warning you to be prepared for the real thing.

Pedaling Fool
09-21-2011, 16:44
anyone who has read "walk in the woods", i want to do what bill bryson did. my 1st plan was to stay at the hiker's hostel, and get shuttled to the approach.... but in the book, bill stays at a place called amicalola falls lodge, eats breakfast, and is on his way.... i don't know the area.. is this place bill stayed at still there, if so that's the way i want to do it. i read the book really carefully, i think he did the approach, can someone tell me, who knows that neck of the woods.... thanks.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't BB get shuttled by Wes Wisson, contact info in the link http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT Shuttle List WEB 7-29-11.pdf

He can probably answer a lot of your questions, plus you'll be getting shuttled by the same person that shuttled BB.

SouthMark
09-21-2011, 17:02
Yes Bryson got shuttled by Wes Wesson, from the Atlanta Airport to Amicalola Falls, not to te FS 42 parking lot.

Fredt4
09-21-2011, 18:05
I read a book many years ago abour a man's journey across Canada. Someone asked him what he did to get in shape for his hike. He replied, " nothing, once you start hiking, you'll hav Legs of Steel", which I believe is the title of his book. My experience was that many people of all shapes and sizes started the trail and soon they were all thin.

rmitchell
09-21-2011, 20:15
Another possiblity would be to start from the lodge and take the trail to Len Foote Hike Inn. That trail is about five miles. You could stay there (with reservation) or continue on past and connect with the approach trail. The trail to Len Foote has fewer PUDs than the approach trail and is about the same distance.

fiddlehead
09-21-2011, 20:31
If you want to do the trail like 'Bill Bryson', then you'll never finish.........
(Good storyteller, not much of a hiker)
Of course, if you can write a good story, then you you could stay at all the fancy places but like Bill, probably not make it much further than Gatlinburg, or 'dollyland', as some refer to it...
If you want the real scoop on the trail, talk to someone like 'Baltimore Jack', whose hiked the whole thing seven or eight times.
Good luck with it, the trail is a beautiful place

I agree.
I will also go out on a limb here and say that those who stay at the lodge their first night, don't complete their thru (if that is their intention)
I say that because I believe the completing the trail is a journey of passion. (and endurance of course)
And those that are asking for just one more night of luxury before hitting the trail, aren't going to have that passion.

At least not as much as the one who: drives 18 hours non-stop to get there, gets out of the car with a wonderful feeling of it finally happening and pauses just long enough (with anxiety) to take that damn picture, and starts the hike immedietly.

THAT's the guy I'd put my money on (if i was a betting man)

WingedMonkey
09-21-2011, 20:34
I will also go out on a limb here and say that those who stay at the lodge their first night, don't complete their thru (if that is their intention)

I wanted to type that but figured I would get censored.

:sun

If you want to eat dinner with a view you got plenty of chances the next 2000 miles.

Jagglax
09-21-2011, 21:01
Another possiblity would be to start from the lodge and take the trail to Len Foote Hike Inn. That trail is about five miles. You could stay there (with reservation) or continue on past and connect with the approach trail. The trail to Len Foote has fewer PUDs than the approach trail and is about the same distance.

I havnt read this book, but ive hiked all through that area. The two lodges that i know of are the Amacalola falls lodge. its on and run by the state park. But ive also stayed at the Len Foote Hike Inn. Thats a really cool place. if you stay there you take a different approach trail to the Inn, then the trail joins back up to the Approach trail. Its a great experience, and you get to bypass the hardest leg of the approach trail, the beginning. I dont know what the guy did in the book, but this is a common and unique way to start the trail.

rdaviskiwi
09-21-2011, 21:06
I am actually hiking the Len Foote Inn this weekend, I think it will be a nice little hike and I have heard nothing but good reviews. If I like it I may stay there the night before I start the trail on March 29th 2012. I am packing most of the gear I am planning on taking on the trail just to see how I do and how the weight feels.

Sierra Echo
09-21-2011, 21:08
I LOVE the Len Foote Hike Inn. I did that trail a few weeks ago. Hiked up to the Inn, ran my mouth for about 30 minutes and then hiked back to my car.

ChinMusic
09-21-2011, 21:11
And those that are asking for just one more night of luxury before hitting the trail, aren't going to have that passion.

Seems a bit harsh. Are those that stay in the relative luxury of a hotel, instead of the hostel, or even better, instead of camping outside of town, less likely to succeed?

Praha4
09-22-2011, 00:43
I've used Wes Wisson for several shuttle rides in GA, Wes was the shuttle driver for Bryson, he's been doing it for many, many years, and he's a great guy who can tell you some amazing trail stories about the many hikers he has shuttled. A wealth of knowledge available from Wes, he does shuttles from Atlanta to Davenport Gap. I've also stayed at the Amicalola Falls SP lodge on every AT hike I've started at Amicalola Falls. You can park your car at the AFSP Visitor Center for up to 6 months, register at the Vistitor Center, hike up the approach trail staircase beside the waterfalls, stay at the lodge for the night, and hit the approach trail the next morning heading north. Great way to startoff an AT hike. If you don't have the money for the lodge, you can stay the first nite at Max Epperson Shelter behind the visitor center, or stay in Dahlonega at the Hiker Hostel or the Super 8, depending on if you have a car or not. There's several ways to do that area. The Len Foote Hike Inn is also a great place to stay, I've not done it yet, but maybe this fall will do it. I was just up at Amicalola Falls SP about 3 weeks ago with my wife, we did some easy dayhikes around the park, it was fantastic to get back up there, made me very eager for spring 2012 to start north again. Going up to Grayson Highlands for a 5 day section hike in October.

Yes Bryson got shuttled by Wes Wesson, from the Atlanta Airport to Amicalola Falls, not to te FS 42 parking lot.

bflorac
09-22-2011, 02:40
I stayed at the Lodge on my first AT section hike. Nice place... Here is a photo (http://www.billflorac.com/gallery3/var/albums/AT2008/DSCN0312.JPG?m=1310708267). It is about a mile downhill to the start of the approach trial.

fiddlehead
09-22-2011, 03:03
Seems a bit harsh. Are those that stay in the relative luxury of a hotel, instead of the hostel, or even better, instead of camping outside of town, less likely to succeed?

No, (at least not in my opinion),

My point is that the night before the beginning of your journey is quiet different from one in the middle.

In the middle, you may be wet and cold (and have been for days), all your gear needs cleaning (especially your body), and clean sheets can be a REAL treat!

Those who think it's more important to grab that one more night of being pampered have less of a chance of making it to the other end.

IMO of course.

ekeverette
09-22-2011, 10:51
thanks you for the all the info. alot to consider... boy, i did'nt know there were so many choices!

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 11:07
I've never done the trail but I agree with you Fiddle....

Anyone who thinks one more night in comfort is better than starting the trail shouldn't even be on the trail to start with...

I mean you packed up all your stuff and set out to hike the AT and then you decide to stay off the trail for one more night of comfort? Sorry but I will be SHOCKED if you finish.</SPAN>

To me the comfort I seek is laying down in my tent/shelter after a hot meal (I carried) and dozing off to sleep. That's the kind of comfort I seek.

**EDIT** Let me clarify that when I say shouldn't be on the trail to start with... I was meaning shouldn't be on the trail attempting a Thru Hike... If you really want that extra day of comfort... Maybe you are better suited for Section Hiking the trail.
**EDIT2** All these "yous" aren't directed at anyone.... maybe I should have said "they"

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 11:21
Geez all those folks that start off at the Hiker Hostel need to be told to just go home. They aren't ready for a thru.

Come on you guys, that is pure BS.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 12:08
Geez all those folks that start off at the Hiker Hostel need to be told to just go home. They aren't ready for a thru.

Come on you guys, that is pure BS.

I think you are thinking this one out a little too hard.

I and I guess we are talking about people who STAY AN EXTRA NIGHT AT THE HOSTEL/HOTEL/WHERE EVER WITH A BED FOR COMFORT INSTEAD OF STARTING THE TRAIL.

Understand now?

Does that not throw up a red flag to you? Said person packed a bag for a thru hike... and then decides to stay ANOTHER NIGHT at a hotel instead of starting the trail... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 12:14
I think you are thinking this one out a little too hard.

I and I guess we are talking about people who STAY AN EXTRA NIGHT AT THE HOSTEL/HOTEL/WHERE EVER WITH A BED FOR COMFORT INSTEAD OF STARTING THE TRAIL.

Understand now?

No, not in the least. It simply means they delayed their start for an extra day. Folks delay their starts all the time. It means nothing. I'm not the one "thinking about this one a little too hard".

Does that not throw up a red flag to you? Said person packed a bag for a thru hike... and then decides to stay ANOTHER NIGHT at a hotel instead of starting the trail... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not even a blue flag.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 12:23
I'm done talking about this with you....

But I would like to know the number of people who actually make it more than 2,000 miles after they delay their start for an extra day for comfort vs the number of people that make it 2,000 miles that jumped straight on the trail after staying at the hotel/hostel/car the night before their start day.

I may be young but i'm start enough to know that the people that were actually wanting to be on the trail will probably make it farther than the people that wanted that extra day not on the trail. I don't understand why you can't see this. Yes I understand and extra day of rest after you are on the trail is okay... we are talking about start day though.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 12:33
Plenty of folks finish the trail after choosing to take days off for non health reasons. Partying is a common reason. Personally I could see a zero for the final day of the Masters.

ekeverette
09-22-2011, 13:43
my concern was just the first night i arrive, staying that night, eat breakfast then start my hike...

sbhikes
09-22-2011, 13:47
I arrived at the start of the trail at 3pm. I planned to start the following day and figured I'd stay in a hotel one last night with my boyfriend before heading out early in the morning. I mean, it was a very long drive to get to the trailhead, I wanted to start fresh, I wanted one last chance to sort through my gear and I wanted my first day to get me to a certain location. I can see others doing the same thing on the AT.

(It turned out that at the PCT there isn't anywhere to stay in Campo, so I just began my hike at 3pm. The two of us hiked about 9 miles and camped out together in the bushes.)

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 14:13
my concern was just the first night i arrive, staying that night, eat breakfast then start my hike...

Which is what I was trying to tell Chin Music should be everyone's agenda who is actually making a run for Maine....Not hang around for another day just because they want the comfort of a bed and pillow. Why not get on the trail and earn that bed and pillow instead of getting it before even taking a step on the trail? Maybe I'm an idiot.... but it just seems to me if someone delayed their start for the comfort of a bed isn't going to make it to Maine. (Bryson is a good example of said someone)

I arrived at the start of the trail at 3pm. I planned to start the following day and figured I'd stay in a hotel one last night with my boyfriend before heading out early in the morning.
.)

See this is fine.... I wasn't pointing fingers at people who do this. I was pointing towards someone who would arrive at 3p.m. and then stay the night... and then stay another night. I'm positive someone out there has done this and still made it to Maine... but I bet there is a hell of a lot less of them than the people that stayed one night and then got a early morning start the next day.

Yes I get the hike your own hike... but the key word in there is HIKE... not STAY.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 14:35
See this is fine....

I bet Diane is breathing again..........

Fog Horn
09-22-2011, 15:20
I plan on staying in either the lodge or the hiker hostel (depending more on if my dog will be there than comfort) on the day I get there. I think there is something poetic about starting my journey on a fresh new morning.

I think everyone is over thinking what does and does not make a successful trip up the trail. Staying an extra day in a lodge might be just the thing that makes a trip successful for someone. Bill Bryson didn't start out with what it would take. That drive and determination comes from, imo, making the full Appalachian Trail your goal, your dream, your desire. He had a comedic tale, and I learned quite a bit from it (like about certain locations that would be interesting to see on my thru hike), but his goal was to entertain you, not necessarily to finish the trail, and that my WB friends, he accomplished.

You can stay at the lodge for three weeks and still finish the trail, imo.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 15:38
I plan on staying in either the lodge or the hiker hostel (depending more on if my dog will be there than comfort) on the day I get there. I think there is something poetic about starting my journey on a fresh new morning.

My penciled outline is to get a mid-day start at the falls and hike to Len Fotte. I stayed there once before and totally enjoyed my stay. Head out the next morning, take a break at Springer and off the Hawk (unless I feel like camping among the hemlocks).

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 15:58
I bet Diane is breathing again..........

This guy right here.....

You can stay at the lodge for three weeks and still finish the trail, imo.

I must not be making my point clear.... Oh well. My simple Southern mind must not be enough to get my point across.

One last try.

You came to hike a trail. Why are you not hiking said trail? I understand a zero day. But how can you have a zero day when you never even put in a step towards Maine/Georgia.

See I can understand this post perfectly. Now lets see if someone else can.

----

Sorry for derailing your thread.....

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 16:11
Dude, you came to have fun and enjoy yourself. Some folks can chew gum and hike at the same time.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 16:15
Dude, you came to have fun and enjoy yourself. Some folks can chew gum and hike at the same time.

And now you're talking about hiking and not zero days?

You're yanking my chain aren't you?

jesse
09-22-2011, 16:20
... how can you have a zero day when you never even put in a step towards Maine/Georgia.

Actually if they start at the Visitor Center and hike the steps to the lodge, they have taken steps toward Maine.

Fog Horn
09-22-2011, 16:21
You came to hike a trail. Why are you not hiking said trail? I understand a zero day. But how can you have a zero day when you never even put in a step towards Maine/Georgia.

I think there are many reasons one might do this. I get your point, but I think that you aren't looking at the HYOH mentality, exactly. I am from California. If I was coming from Cali to hike instead of from NC, I might spend a couple extra days in the hostel to acclimate to the weather. If I was planning on getting some last minute gear at the beginning of the trail instead of trusting a flight with it, I might schedule a day or two where I could take my time and make sure I got the right things that I needed. If I had family come to wish me goodbye, I might stay a couple days with them because while I'm excited to go off on my journey, its also a vacation for them I'd have to consider. I might be about to leave for the trail and get a phone call or email about something I have to take care of before heading off.

Or even more simply, maybe I do want one last hot shower, good meal, and warm bed for one last night. . I don't see anything wrong with that either. The point is, without prying into someones life, you cannot even begin to understand their reasonings for their actions. It might seem fruitless to you, but maybe they are getting something out of it that will ensure their ability to get on, and finish the Trail. Simply assuming that they prefer comfort over the trail and therefor will not finish the trail, to me, is stretching it. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and HYOH. That's all I'm saying.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 16:22
Actually if they start at the Visitor Center and hike the steps to the lodge, they have taken steps toward Maine.

You and I both know what I'm talking about. The approach trail isn't even included in said steps to Maine. Aren't we on White Blaze an AT specific forum? I could be wrong but last I checked the Approach Trail isn't included in the mileage to Maine?

I've already about had enough of WB again after my long break.

jesse
09-22-2011, 16:23
See I can understand this post perfectly. Now lets see if someone else can.

You put out an unproven theory. Some people think its BS. I can't wait to go hiking next week. This cyber hiking is making us all a little nuts.

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 16:23
And now you're talking about hiking and not zero days?

You're yanking my chain aren't you?

I'm agreeing with Fog Horn. Spending another day to enjoy Amicalola doesn't mean a thing.

And I guess you could say you are being "yanked".........

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 16:26
This cyber hiking is making us all a little nuts.

I sometimes cyber hike while I'm hiking.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 16:29
I sometimes cyber hike while I'm hiking.

I hope you step in dog poo.

:D

It's been fun. Y'all take it easy. I'm out of here.

And just to clarify... my OG point was talking about staying an extra night to enjoy the comfort of a bed. Not to explore the park or stay with family. That's a whole different ballpark. We were talking about hiking over bed. Got sidetracked along the way :)

4eyedbuzzard
09-22-2011, 16:38
Does anyone else think that delays due to weather (heavy rain, snow, etc) especially for early starts in March might be a factor? I think I might wait an extra day if there were a bad storm. Seems pretty immaterial to me (I wouldn't finish in any event).

ChinMusic
09-22-2011, 16:48
Does anyone else think that delays due to weather (heavy rain, snow, etc) especially for early starts in March might be a factor? I think I might wait an extra day if there were a bad storm. Seems pretty immaterial to me (I wouldn't finish in any event).

Weather could delay me but it would have to be pretty bad. I've done enough southern AT hiking in the winter to know I enjoy a bit of a challenge. A "bit", not a LOT. I'd have no problem pulling off and cyber-hiking for a couple days til it blows over.

Monkeywrench
09-22-2011, 17:23
The approach trail isn't even included in said steps to Maine.

Interesting thought. I hiked the Approach Trail on my way to Maine, and I'm pretty sure I took a few steps to cover the 8.7 miles or whatever it is, but maybe I really didn't. For some reason though, it felt like I had.

Kidding aside, I find this somewhat prevalent idea that miles walked on other than the AT somehow "don't count" quite interesting. Why don't they? According to my calculations I hiked 2246.6 miles total from the start of my thru hike to the finish. It seems silly to say that 68.3 of those miles "don't count" because they weren't "AT miles." I walked them, they were part of my thru-hike, and as you can see I quite literally did count them.

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 17:41
Interesting thought. I hiked the Approach Trail on my way to Maine, and I'm pretty sure I took a few steps to cover the 8.7 miles or whatever it is, but maybe I really didn't. For some reason though, it felt like I had.

Kidding aside, I find this somewhat prevalent idea that miles walked on other than the AT somehow "don't count" quite interesting. Why don't they? According to my calculations I hiked 2246.6 miles total from the start of my thru hike to the finish. It seems silly to say that 68.3 of those miles "don't count" because they weren't "AT miles." I walked them, they were part of my thru-hike, and as you can see I quite literally did count them.

You can all stop talking about it. I tried to make a point that I can't make here.

It's not unreasonable what I am saying.

think about it

I don't care where you are from or what you do for a living. If you come to thru hike a trail and then you stay an extra day (without ever setting foot on the trail) in the hotel because you want a bed over the trail.... chances are you won't see Maine.

Agree to disagree.

See you on the Trail.

I'm done with White Blaze.

4eyedbuzzard
09-22-2011, 18:33

I'm done with White Blaze.

Wow, you must have been fun in the sandbox. And here I thought you were agreeing to disagree just a sentence before.

ekeverette
09-22-2011, 19:11
wow! and all i was trying to say, is that i was spending the night at the inn...... eating a great breakfast the following morning, and hitting the trail... not hanging out in the room.

Tilly
09-22-2011, 19:34
I wish I could have stayed at the lodge. I had 2 nights and all day on the train (and waiting to connect in DC) before getting to the TH at 9 o'clock in the morning. Started on almost no sleep, it really sucked.

People that took an extra day to start the trail after all that travel don't have a reduced chance of finishing. Personally I like to start fresh if I have the opportunity.

ekeverette
09-22-2011, 20:29
thanks tilly.... that's all i was talking about.

fiddlehead
09-22-2011, 20:52
OK, I'm almost sorry for presenting my thoughts earlier on this now that I see the cyber fighting going on.
It's not as big of a deal as some of you are making it.
I believe Bill Bryson didn't really come with the sole intention of completing and end to end thru-hike.
He came to write a book.

I just remember my first time at Amicalola and my feelings of "can't wait to get started"

I'm sure there are some who will stay at this lodge and complete their hike.
There will also be some who won't.

It's the mindset that matters.

My favorite thru-hike quote (from Grandma Gatewood): "It's more head than heel"

Sierra Echo
09-22-2011, 21:31
The title of this thread cracks me up!

MyName1sMud
09-22-2011, 22:05
I wish I could have stayed at the lodge. I had 2 nights and all day on the train (and waiting to connect in DC) before getting to the TH at 9 o'clock in the morning. Started on almost no sleep, it really sucked.

People that took an extra day to start the trail after all that travel don't have a reduced chance of finishing. Personally I like to start fresh if I have the opportunity.

Yeah this is not what i was saying. I was referring to someone who stays 2 nights.

sbhikes
09-22-2011, 22:11
I agree.
I say that because I believe the completing the trail is a journey of passion. (and endurance of course)

At least not as much as the one who: drives 18 hours non-stop to get there, gets out of the car with a wonderful feeling of it finally happening and pauses just long enough (with anxiety) to take that damn picture, and starts the hike immedietly.

THAT's the guy I'd put my money on (if i was a betting man)

The thing is, you originally did not say stay a second night. You said stay one night. That people who don't start immediately probably don't have passion enough to finish. I call BS on your original statement and double BS on all your follow-up statements.

DapperD
09-22-2011, 22:58
I can see how some believe that a thru-hiker once he gets to Amicalola State Park would want to immediately begin his hike to Springer without hesitation. But seriously, most people as other's have said have traveled to get to Amicalola, and some are arriving with their families. What would be wrong with spending the day at Amicalola, with their family, and then spending their last night all together at the lodge in comfort? The next morning everyone gets to have a great breakfast buffet together to start their day. The family departs, and the thru-hiker begins his or her journey North. I mean seriously, I don't think this could get any better than that:D. And I think it would be just as much fun for the solo hiker to start out that way, after spending a nice night resting and then being well fed the following morning, and beginning one's hike fresh and with a positive mental outlook. As some have said, I think this would make one more likely to succeed than to fail:-?

ekeverette
09-23-2011, 06:17
bing! you hit it on the head dapperd....... that's exactly what i meant!

njordan2
09-23-2011, 07:39
If you want to do what Bill Bryson did, stay home and write a book.

yayalynn
09-30-2011, 04:04
The Hiker Hostel has a thru hiker special including shuttles, $38 private room, or $16 just a bunk, and breakfast is included for that place too.....

lush242000
09-30-2011, 07:34
Yeah this is not what i was saying. I was referring to someone who stays 2 nights.

I thought you were done with whiteblaze?

swamprat
09-30-2011, 09:19
WOW !!! This thread is funny..... I am doing the approach and staying at Len Foote with the wife who is coming to see me off. This IS part of my thru, if you consider this a zero day before starting, I guess you could say that I took 365, actually 366 zero days cause Feb will have 29 days this year. Guess i have little chance to finish, eah? Just adds another day before stepping on the official A.T if you will.

And your point was..........................

bigcranky
09-30-2011, 15:02
So if my plan is to fly to Maine and spend two nights at the lodge in Millinockett before starting my sobo thru, you're saying I won't make it?

Maybe I'm an idiot....

MuddyWaters
10-07-2011, 19:59
To do this type of long distance hike takes planning, knowledge and expereince. Anybody who has tried to figure it out as they went knows that can make your AT experience a difficult one. You might also want to be honest with yourself about what physical shape you're in. How much do you want to struggle?

I suggest that a lot of hikers who start the AT have little knowledge, poor planning, poor equipment, and no experience.

Thats why mountain crossings exists only 31 miles from Springer, to replace the bad gear, give some advice, etc.

Of course, 75% drop out too rather quickly.

Its not your gear that gets you all the way, its what is between your ears.

MuddyWaters
10-07-2011, 20:03
Heck, why not just start in Weogufka , Alabama on the Pinhoti trail, they are lobbying for it to be the new southern terminus of the AT anyway! Since its the southernmost reach of the appalachians. Only another 300 something miles.

Oh yes, you wanted to hike the AT. The approach trail is not part of the AT. It is simply ONE way to get onto it at Springer. But the arch at amicalola makes a good photo op.

solace
10-07-2011, 21:01
HEY... good for you!!! If reading Bryson's book inspired you to hike the whole A.T. or just a part of it! Then do it! Ive done the first 200 miles 5 times, It's a nice hike in the spring for sure & you'll have lots of company. Most of what Bill wrote about is still there... the Rainbow Springs Campground, where he & Katz held up with the Chili is closed down, last yr was 2004. I know that area well, let me know if you have some questions... In any case.. HYOH.. Enjoy.. go see what you see.. Life Is Short... LIVE. EACH. DAY.
Happy Hiking!
Cheers, Solace

glaux
10-29-2011, 19:11
So the Lodge is for wimps, as any badass beginner hiker would obviously take the shuttle directly from the airport to the woods, and spend the first night in Georgia outdoors (and with just a tarp), right?

Whatever. The Lodge is nice and all, and there's no harm in claiming a last little luxury before starting. Personally, I wouldn't miss the chance to spend a night at the Len Foote Hike Inn instead-- they are super friendly, and will load you up with tasty food (and pass along a little education about sustainable living and ecological living). It's rustic, but way charming, and you can catch a fantastic sunrise view (with a hot cup of coffee), and get a nice big breakfast before heading up Springer. It's also less expensive than the Lodge (but more than the Hostel, I think).

Emily Harper
02-21-2012, 15:19
For hikers there's a love hate relationship with Bill Bryson. On the one hand Bill Bryson is mentioned by so many people. Quoting stories and whatnot then you hear his book is considered fiction, meaning made up storys or stolen stories. So you have these people telling you, "I read Bill Brysons book I understand what you hike is like..." On the other hand people who have read his book tend to be more friendly to hikers by giving the food or a ride.