PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart boots...

Mini-Mosey
02-23-2005, 12:58
I imagine this is a laughable idea. Even though I still plan to check out the Phil Oren fitting of boots at Hudson Trail Outfitters, that may prove to be beyond my very strict budget at this time due to the fact that my financial situation has changed. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?

The Weasel
02-23-2005, 13:14
It's not laughable, but it probably is wrong.

First of all, "work boots" are made for a different purpose. They often don't have good tread (the gripping on the soles), and are far heavier than necessary.

Second, keep in mind that you aren't going to walk 2,000 miles. Your feet and knees are. "Cheaping" on boots/shoes is the biggest mistake you can make, because you will quit from how your feet feel. A cheap pack will hold up, even though not great; cheap clothes do just fine. You can even save more money on "house brand" noodles. But DON'T cheap your feet.

That said, you don't have to spend a lot, either. You can get excellent trail shoes and boots from a number of "overstock" sources, or even from the mainliners like REI during sales and clearance events, often for less than "Wal Mart" type footwear. And before I went to "work boots" on a cost basis, I'd get a pair of cheap - yeah, i know - running shoes at Walmart. I've actually found such shoes for $15 bucks that are very serviceable on trails, although they tend to wear out after a hundred miles or so.

The Weasel

max patch
02-23-2005, 13:29
I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?

When my boots finally died I had a $20 pair of old JC Penny work boots that I had used at home doing yard work mailed to me at Gorham, NH. I used those boots the rest of the day with no problems. Wouldn't be my first choice but do whatever works for you.

The Solemates
02-23-2005, 14:01
I imagine this is a laughable idea. Even though I still plan to check out the Phil Oren fitting of boots at Hudson Trail Outfitters, that may prove to be beyond my very strict budget at this time due to the fact that my financial situation has changed. I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?

if i was gonna buy shoes at walmart, id buy a $30 pair of sneakers before i bought work boots. the sneakers will work fine. they even have trail runners at walmart. they've taken over! :bse

icemanat95
02-23-2005, 14:23
Really, really bad idea. As someone above stated, you don't cheap out on your feet. They are the foundation of your hike. If your feet hurt, your hike will suck and you will quit, probably early, or waste a lot of time and money finding boots that do work.

Find good boots that fit you well before you leave, break them in properly and that's one less thing you need to worry about on trail.Go to every outfitter you can find in the area and try everything on. Find something that fits well and then buy that. If price is a real factor, search the web and the discounters for the best price you can get, but if that price plus the shipping does not still provide a commanding advantage, buy locally and support the local outfitter.

steve hiker
02-23-2005, 14:34
My feet are screaming just reading this post.

superman
02-23-2005, 14:41
I've done over night hikes in Vermont and New Hampshire wearing lug soled Red Wing work boots. It has never occurred to me to say Wal-mart foot wear and hiking in the same thought.

kentucky
02-23-2005, 14:48
I would agree about your feet when I first started hiking I had on a pair of work boots and overalls,It did not take a long time figure out the feet,I week into the walk bought hi tech not the top of the line but better than others,I would not sell out on my feet,after years of long distant hiking shoes are my first choice all else comes after:) kentucky

c.coyle
02-23-2005, 14:50
I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?

Why work boots? Wal Mart sells cheap hiking boots. My wife has a pair of "Pacific Crest" hikers from Wal Mart. Suede / fabric construction, no Goretex. I think she paid $29.99. She loves them. Won't wear anything else.

The Solemates
02-23-2005, 14:54
Really, really bad idea. As someone above stated, you don't cheap out on your feet. They are the foundation of your hike. If your feet hurt, your hike will suck and you will quit, probably early, or waste a lot of time and money finding boots that do work.

Find good boots that fit you well before you leave, break them in properly and that's one less thing you need to worry about on trail.Go to every outfitter you can find in the area and try everything on. Find something that fits well and then buy that. If price is a real factor, search the web and the discounters for the best price you can get, but if that price plus the shipping does not still provide a commanding advantage, buy locally and support the local outfitter.

Im just one of those guys who never has foot problems. Never had a blister in thousands of miles of hiking. surely sneakers wont hurt your feet that bad. they may fall apart after 100 miles, but wont hurt..

weary
02-23-2005, 14:58
Well, I'm not a fan of Walmart for philosophical reasons -- though I do buy food for my feral cats there after the local supermarket refused to carry large bags.

But they are smart merchandisers. And work boots are made for people who are on their feet all day. Loggers, surveyors, and others who spend a lot of time in the woods use them. Earl Shaffer thru hiked the trail three times in work boots.

I don't use them mostly because I use size 14 wides and rarely do I find a decent selection of such sizes in places like Walmart. I walked in 1993 in a seven year old pair of Dexter hiking boots, mostly because an MATC member told me he hiked the trail twice in the same pair of Dexters. Unfortunately, the leather cracked because of improper maintenance on my part and began letting dirt and pebbles in. Other wise I could see no reason why they wouldn't have made it all the way to Katahdin.

In contrast, the pair of Merrills that I replaced them with in Wayneboro, VA were pretty much history by the time I reached Maine. Since then I've worn almost daily a $27 pair of Dexter's seconds I found on sale. I like them because even with the tread gone, they provide better traction than did the Merrill "hiking boots."

The soles are pretty worn, now. The sole on one toe partially melted on a trail maintenance trip, last year, but my guess is they'll do for another year or two.

The key to good boots is proper fit. If they are comfortable and reasonably light, they will work -- and probably out wear outdoor store boots. If I were on a tight budget I'd first look for an LL Bean factory store, if any are nearby. Second choice would be Sears for sturdy work boots.

We all used sneakers and work boots 50 years ago. Then someone discovered that by putting a "hiking" label on things they could double their profit.

Weary

max patch
02-23-2005, 15:08
Weary makes a good observation as recounts what Earl wore on his hikes.

You don't have to dress as if you just stepped out of the pages of BacKpacker Magazine. Remember what the early hikers wore? Work boots or LL Bean moccasin boots. Cotton underwear. Cotton dress shirts. Blue jeans or long cotton/poly pants. Kelty frame packs. And not a trekking pole to be seen.

Mags
02-23-2005, 15:09
If you are on a budget but still need a decent pair of boots (and don't want to hike in sneakers), have you thought of Hi Tec Altitudes?

A pair of boots I wear around town in winter, for trail work, and the occasional day hike [1] are Hi Tec Altitudes. They break in easily, are very comfy and are full leather. They weigh 2# 8oz for a Men's 9 medium, which are lightweight for full leather boots. And at $50-$75 (depending if they are on sale or not), they are quite the bargain for full leather boots.
They also have a full steel shank, which is always good in a boot. Another bonus (in my opinion) is that they DO NOT have a Goretex liner so your feet breathe a bit better.

If you find them on sale, I suspect the extra $20 will give you a much better boot than the $30 Walmart boots. Will readily admit I have not used them on a thru-hike, but do know others who have use Hi Tec products for extended outdoor use and have been pleased.

They are on sale (with free S&H) at :
http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/pcd/9280975/prd/14200953/ccsyn/260

[1] Pretty much a confirmed sneaker hiker. Will sometimes hike in my boots for non-trail work when there is a small amount of snow on the ground or I am getting out of work and want to take a quick hike.

hopefulhiker
02-23-2005, 15:11
I saw Ozark Mountain Hiking Boots at Wal Mart for $22.00.. You could buy several pairs..............

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2005, 15:17
Earl also didn't wear socks.

Just goes to show that people have to discover what works for them, everyone's different.

With footwear, like everything else, people have to find out what is right for them: I've seen people unhappy with four hundred dolar boots and even more expensive orthotic insoles; I've seen people delighted with beat up thirty-dollar sneakers they got out of a hiker box. You never know.

As a rule, Iceman is correct, and your best bet is to get good footwear that is professionally fitted by someone who knows their business. But then again, you might find something on your own that is lots cheaper and gets the job done.

In all cases, pay attention to your feet, especially after getting new or replacement boots/sneakers. Watch for sore spots, red spots. Get decent socks, and try to keep your feet dry and happy. Don't let little problems become big ones. And if you realize that you've made a mistake with your footwear decision, don't assume that in time your feet will "adapt" to them. In many cases, they won't. If your boots don't feel right, or cause you discomfort or pain, then replace them right away with something that works.
Even if it means spending extra money, do whatever is necessary to keep your feet healthy and happy.

The alternative is to go home, because NOTHING drives more people off the Trail than unresolved foot problems.

Mags
02-23-2005, 15:19
We all used sneakers and work boots 50 years ago. Then someone discovered that by putting a "hiking" label on things they could double their profit.
Weary

I agree and disagree with this statement at the same time.

Many work boots have steel toes in them. That means they do not flex and are a bit heavier. The term "work boots" is dubious today in any case. Many of the "work boots" you find in XYZMart are more for fashion. The better ones they do sell in XYZMart again have steel toes. My Dad bought a pair of workboots that could certainly hold up on the trail (if again a bit heavy due to the steel toe). They were also very expensive compared to bargain basement work boots you find in XYZMart.

What I do agree with is the slapping of the label on things to make it more expensive. Cook sets are the best (worst?) example of something simple being more expensive simply because it has an outdoor label on it.

Mini-Mosey
02-23-2005, 19:02
Thanks, everyone, for your advice. I appreciate the helpful input.

Tractor
02-23-2005, 19:25
1) A friend bought a pair of wallyworld boots in Dahlonaga (sp?) several years ago, after blowing out another pair of boots at the start of a section. They at least held up for the next 4 days but not much longer after.

2) Consider shopping at a shoe/boot shop that deals with "returns" and "seconds". Perhaps I was lucky enough to have a worthy shop nearby with a very knowledgeable owner. My very best boots of all were shop returns. They were the best fit, best feel, longest lasting AND best value boots I've ever owned and they were Duck Head brand. Paid less than for a new pair of Walmart's best at the time.

One Leg
02-23-2005, 19:53
My son, M-n-M, had a pair of Wolverines from Wal-Mart, and I couldn't convince him that they wouldn't be the best choice for the trail. He started out on our hike last year using them, and by the time we reached Franklin, N.C., his socks were coming out of the soles. (They lasted longer than I thought they would.) He wanted, instead of buying some good boots, to go to Wal-Mart and get another pair. At that rate, we'd end up buying him half a dozen pairs of boots before we made it to Harpers Ferry. I won the arguement, and we got him a pair at the outfitters in Franklin.

The old addage "You get what you pay for" comes to mind here...

weary
02-23-2005, 20:17
I agree and disagree with this statement at the same time.

Many work boots have steel toes in them. That means they do not flex and are a bit heavier. The term "work boots" is dubious today in any case. Many of the "work boots" you find in XYZMart are more for fashion. The better ones they do sell in XYZMart again have steel toes. My Dad bought a pair of workboots that could certainly hold up on the trail (if again a bit heavy due to the steel toe). They were also very expensive compared to bargain basement work boots you find in XYZMart.
Many thanks, Mags, for a clarification I should have thought about. Never hike with a steel-toed work boot. Otherwise, if they are reasonably light weight, comfortable and sturdy -- and are the best you can afford, just do it. Among other things I should have mentioned is that unlined boots tend to be better for the trail -- other things being equal (comfort, fit and weight)-- a lining just collects water and is agonizingly slow to dry. An unlined boot will dry after a rain in a couple of hours. A lining sometimes takes days.

Weary

DannyLee
03-12-2005, 03:24
I have been roofing here in Bend, Oregon for 33 yrs. I buy 2 pair of Walmart boots a year now. One in the spring or early summer for my hiking trips on the pct. Not long hikes, but I never have to "break in" the boots because they fit perfectly and are SOFT. They mold to your feet and when you're done with 'em, you toss 'em out. The guy who mentioned the Ozark Mt. boots was right on. They are waterproof, breathable, don't have a lot of sewn seams to come apart, and the toe and heel are solid material. They make a "wide" ! I just bought another pair 3 days ago. If I could find 4 pairs I would buy them all at once. My feet never hurt, these are not low tops and not really tall, but have ankle support. I walk on an 8/12 pitch roof in these with no safety harness. (stupid? maybe) I used to buy leather boots of all brands trying to find that perfect boot. Wasted a lot of money and my feet always had blisters. If you're going to walk a million miles, buy more than one pair and stash the other somwhere on the trail. You won't have to break 'em in because they will fit perfect and feel nice and soft. (p.s.) I try to use a sock that is medium weight, not too heavy, and mostly wool. 60 - 80%. That's my 2 cents worth!
Danny Lee

kyerger
03-12-2005, 05:45
I got my boots on Ebay. i found a great pair of Lowa boots on there for $40.00

buckhead
03-13-2005, 11:11
I actually bought a pair of Ozark Trail boots there for $22 and liked them. I put a nice pair of 3/4 length inner soles in them. I have used them on a few 12 mile hikes with no problems. Needless to say I was also using smartwool socks. I just recently bought some Columbia Diamond Peak boots. I wore them all week to work. They feel great. Can't wait to see how they feel under load.

neo
03-13-2005, 17:31
i did a 275 mile section on the AT last year from delaware water gap to dalton mass in walmart 25.00 boots,big mistake,i will not make that mistake again.

:sun neo

Nearly Normal
03-13-2005, 18:39
[QUOTE=weary]Well, I'm not a fan of Walmart for philosophical reasons -- though I do buy food for my feral cats there after the local supermarket refused to carry large bags.

Feral cats?
Truly feral or yard cats.
Feral cats are in direct competition with small animal predators. They are unusually hard on birds. They throw the balance off, breed unchecked and have a high rate of mortality among themselves. Song birds inparticular suffer badly.
Animal shelters will usually help decrease their numbers for you or a 22 rifle works wonders.
pete

weary
03-13-2005, 20:02
[QUOTE=weary]Well, I'm not a fan of Walmart for philosophical reasons -- though I do buy food for my feral cats there after the local supermarket refused to carry large bags.

Feral cats?
Truly feral or yard cats.
Feral cats are in direct competition with small animal predators. They are unusually hard on birds. They throw the balance off, breed unchecked and have a high rate of mortality among themselves. Song birds inparticular suffer badly.
Animal shelters will usually help decrease their numbers for you or a 22 rifle works wonders.
pete
My cats have a long and complicated history. I'll try to keep it short. While I was building a house for a son one summer a decade ago, he and his wife and kids lived at a campground near my house.

One day an acquaintenance of my then daughter-in-law asked if they would take a cat for a day while her no pet apartment was being inspected. She did. The cat was never picked up. It escaped into the woods and had kittens. The mother cat was killed by an animal. The kittens disappeared.

Months later the campground owner called about the "wild" cats my son had left. I trapped them. They escaped from the box I was planning to take to the animal shelter. I'm down to four at the moment, including one unfixed 6-month old female.

As soon as I can trap her, she'll also be fixed and the saga will wind down. I feed them. We have tamed a few of the young and given them away. One is now a house cat, who has made shambles of our furniture. But she also sits in my lap when I get depressed.

I'll let you decide their classification. They eat a lot of moles, mice and voles and 18-pound bags of Purina cat chow from Walmart.

Weary

BMRisko
03-15-2005, 10:39
2) Consider shopping at a shoe/boot shop that deals with "returns" and "seconds". Perhaps I was lucky enough to have a worthy shop nearby with a very knowledgeable owner. My very best boots of all were shop returns. They were the best fit, best feel, longest lasting AND best value boots I've ever owned and they were Duck Head brand. Paid less than for a new pair of Walmart's best at the time.
Thats how I got my Vasque Super Hikers with fresh soles for $60. Check around for smaller mom and pop boot outlets like Tractor suggested. They had an entire back room full of previously worn, overstock and display Vasques and Hi-Tecs along with many other brands of boots.The place I found this at was French's Boots in TN, not sure if they are a chain or not. I have also heard good things about the Altitudes, especially for the price. I tried on a pair at the store and they were very comfortable, but the Vasques seemed to have a bit more stiffness and support which I was looking for.

atraildreamer
05-06-2006, 02:56
But they are smart merchandisers. And work boots are made for people who are on their feet all day. Loggers, surveyors, and others who spend a lot of time in the woods use them. Earl Shaffer thru hiked the trail three times in work boots.

Check out the Thom McCahn line of work boots at K-Mart. They are of better quality than most of the Walmart stuff, and they fit better. I don't even try them on in the store. I just pick up a size 10 1/2 and try them on at home. Never had to return a pair. Prices are reasonable, too.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-06-2006, 12:48
It's not laughable, but it probably is wrong.

First of all, "work boots" are made for a different purpose. They often don't have good tread (the gripping on the soles), and are far heavier than necessary.

Second, keep in mind that you aren't going to walk 2,000 miles. Your feet and knees are. "Cheaping" on boots/shoes is the biggest mistake you can make, because you will quit from how your feet feel. A cheap pack will hold up, even though not great; cheap clothes do just fine. You can even save more money on "house brand" noodles. But DON'T cheap your feet.

That said, you don't have to spend a lot, either. You can get excellent trail shoes and boots from a number of "overstock" sources, or even from the mainliners like REI during sales and clearance events, often for less than "Wal Mart" type footwear. And before I went to "work boots" on a cost basis, I'd get a pair of cheap - yeah, i know - running shoes at Walmart. I've actually found such shoes for $15 bucks that are very serviceable on trails, although they tend to wear out after a hundred miles or so.

The Weasel

So, that works out at 100 pair of cheap-a$$ed walmart shoes assuming each pair makes it 200 miles or so. That's $1,500.00 for footwear, minimum. Got any tips on the stock market?

downhill
05-06-2006, 16:09
my friend just bought a pair and he swears by them, not something i'd want to hike around in.

downhill

Spock
05-06-2006, 17:13
If you want boots, check out REI. They take returns and usually have racks of returned boots. IMHO Sundowners are good feet.

Shutterbug
05-07-2006, 08:30
... I was just wondering if anyone had ever used working boots sold at Wal-Mart (like the Brahmin brand) when backpacking. Thoughts?

I have several pair of $150 hiking boots, but my favorite boots are from WalMart.Com. They are not work boots. They are Ozark Trail, Bandy Hiking boots. At $29.92, I just ordered three pair. Here is a link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4840910 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4840910)

I am now in Amsterdam, on my way to Kenya. It just happens that I am wearing a pair of the Ozark Trail Boots for the trip. They are the most comfortable footware that I have.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-07-2006, 09:49
I bought a pair of hiking boots at PayLess Shoes many years ago. While I did not buy them for hiking, they became my favorite hiking boots - I have Montrails, Vasques, Hi-Tecs, Merrells, Columbia in the closet to choose from, but those boots were far more comfortable than any of the others. I wore them until they fell apart. Unfortunately, the design had been 'improved' in the intervenng years and I donated their replacements from PayLess to Goodwill after only two short hikes. They weren't even comfortable in town!

I know Ray Jardine isn't the most popular guy these days, but his discussion of how to choose footwaer in Beyond Backpacking is the best guide I have found. He basically says to ignore brand name and price - look instead for the qualities that make a good hiking shoe - flexible soles, sewn-in last (the part under the insole), breathability, holds the heel in place, has wiggle room in the toe box. Then check the quality of the stitching and other items on the shoes. To me, these things are far more important than what label is slapped on the side of the shoe.

Streamweaver
05-08-2006, 12:26
Hudson trail Outfitters is Grossly overpriced!!! So if you find a pair that fits you there,shop around you are sure to find them waaayy! cheaper! Maybe try them on at hudson but then when you find some that fir ,buy them online.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-08-2006, 12:55
My kids and I hike in cheap boots - Ozark Trail, etc. - for two reasons. First, we live in a small town with no backpacking stores, much less resale or overstock merchandise, near us. I don't buy footwear through the mail. Wal Mart actually is the only store in our town that you can buy shoes at. (Although occasionally I've picked up boots at Goodwill). Second, with five kids to shoe I can't afford to replace name-brand boots as often as they grow out of them. I don't know if I'd trust the boots for a thru-hike, but they serve us well on day, weekend, and section hikes.

QHShowoman
05-08-2006, 13:01
When I was in college and a) didn't have any money and b) didn't even know enough about hiking/backpacking to know better, I bought a pair of Ozark Trail hiking boots at Wal-Mart. I used them for an entire summer when I worked as a travel camp counselor ... hiking, camping, rafting, etc. ... and they held up well enough for me to wear them during the next year of college. I finally threw them out when they started to smell musty from getting wet so many times. I never had a problem with them. I don't know if they'd hold up to the rigors of long distance backpacking, but for the occasional hiker, they're an affordable option.

mnof1000v
05-08-2006, 15:41
This season, due to some poorly timed footware failures, I was forced to make-do with a pair of Wal-Mart hiking shoes I purchased in Pearisburg, VA. I cannot stress to you the care I took in selecting the shoes I purchased. I must have spent 2 hours trying on shoes. I thought I might have a simple solution to my problem, but I WAS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!! The shoes I bought, which were Ozark Trail brand trail runners, created all kinds of blister problems for me. In fact, one of the blisters became infected, forcing me off the trail for the past couple weeks. I can't blame the shoes for the infection, but I do ultimately blame them for my need to leave the trail as they did create the blisters that became infected.:(

I must echo what others have written. You can go cheap in many places, but DO NOT go cheap with your feet. It can cost you your hike....

(BTW - I plan to be back on the trail after Trail Days! :banana )

QHShowoman
05-08-2006, 15:57
Even the most expensive hiking boots on the market can cause blisters.

Lilred
05-08-2006, 21:33
Best advice I ever got, when buying a pair of boots, find a pair that fits well, then wear them around the store for at least an hour. I found a pair of Timberland boots at Academy Sports this way and never had a problem. I have since retired them and now own a pair of Solomons. These boots are wonderful!!

Pennsylvania Rose
05-09-2006, 11:48
Even the most expensive hiking boots on the market can cause blisters.

I agree. I had a pair of Vasque Sundowners (back when I was single) that put such a hole in my foot that 17 years later I still have a terrible scar on the back of my heel and have to tape it before I go even day hiking in tennis shoes.

Best advice I ever got, when buying a pair of boots, find a pair that fits well, then wear them around the store for at least an hour.

I agree. When it's time to buy boots, we go to the shoe section of Wally World first, find some that feel OK, then wander around the store until we're sure they fit. It irritates the hell out of the employees, but oh well.

Gray Blazer
05-09-2006, 16:23
I KNOW I'M SHOUTING....LISTEN TO ME ....DON'T WEAR STEEL TOE WORKBOOTS WHILE HIKING....THEY MAY BE OK GOING UPHILL..BUT WHEN YOU COME DOWN...YOU'RE GOING TO BE SORRY....I DID THIS ONE TIME AND I NEVER HAD SORER TOES.... There, I feel better now!:rolleyes: