PDA

View Full Version : 10 Resupply Items

Miss Janet
02-23-2005, 13:58
What would you consider being the top 10 resupply, emergency items, replacement items, etc, that you might need to pick up in town? SMALL THINGS!

Erwin is blessed with grocery stores and dollar stores, so I am not thinking about food items, batteries, dental floss, or those kinds of things. I am going to stock small items like AguaMira, alcohol stoves, etc. I would love your input on what kinds of small items you might need that it would be convienient if I had them and could save a trip to an outfitters.

Footslogger
02-23-2005, 14:06
[QUOTE=Miss Janet]What would you consider being the top 10 resupply, emergency items, replacement items, etc, that you might need to pick up in town? SMALL THINGS!
============================
I'll probably think of more ...but first thing that comes to mind would be some Light-Hiker socks (maybe Thorlos) and Liners.

BTW ...looking forward to seeing you in Damascus in May !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
02-23-2005, 14:07
iso/butane fuel canisters

bulldog49
02-23-2005, 14:32
Iso/Butane canisters.

The Solemates
02-23-2005, 14:55
What would you consider being the top 10 resupply, emergency items, replacement items, etc, that you might need to pick up in town? SMALL THINGS!

Erwin is blessed with grocery stores and dollar stores, so I am not thinking about food items, batteries, dental floss, or those kinds of things. I am going to stock small items like AguaMira, alcohol stoves, etc. I would love your input on what kinds of small items you might need that it would be convienient if I had them and could save a trip to an outfitters.

see the post that jack did about hanover resupply just a few days ago. get your list there.

steve hiker
02-23-2005, 15:11
Denatured alcohol by the ounce.

JP
02-23-2005, 15:12
Strike anywhere matches. Hard to find. I carry them as a backup if my lighter dosen't work.

cakeman21k
02-23-2005, 15:13
The universal repair kit Duct Tape!

bulldog49
02-23-2005, 15:13
Camp soap.

Jack Tarlin
02-23-2005, 15:26
*Fuel
*Duct Tape
*Boot Laces
*Nikwax or Sno-Seal
*Aqua Mira and Polar Pure
*Lightweight Tent Stakes
*Parachute Cord
*Strike Anywhere Matches
*Ziplocks (for individual sale)
*Powdered milk (by the quart bag)

That's a quick ten, will probably add more later.

SGT Rock
02-23-2005, 20:58
AA and AAA lithium batteries.

Mouse
02-23-2005, 21:13
Hydration system bite valves.
Aqua Mira

Skyline
02-23-2005, 22:15
Esbit Fuel Tabs
Maps for the next section north or south
Gu or Power Gel
REI waterproof/windproof matches
Boot laces (72" should be good for high boots, don't know about lower-cut boots)
Easton tent stakes or other lightweight tent stakes
Kelty Tripline or other light, strong rope

Footslogger
02-24-2005, 00:08
Hey Miss Janet ...it's startin to look like there's gonna be more than 10 items on your shelf.

'Slogger

Miss Janet
02-24-2005, 11:09
Thank you all for your responses so far. These ideas were exactly what I am looking for. Keep them coming.... I may build a bigger closet!

J.D.
02-25-2005, 08:50
Did anyone mention SNICKERS.....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Sugar Munchies & Salt Munchies

Tha Wookie
02-25-2005, 09:01
How bout an itty bitty journal and space pen?

I'm always in the market.

See you on Beauty Spot.

neo
02-26-2005, 00:13
polar pure water treatmeant

denatured alcohol
ben and jerry,s ice cream
fuel canisters:sun neo

minnesotasmith
02-26-2005, 00:57
1) GOOD duct tape. Note that most duct tape (e.g., from ChinaMart or dollar stores) absolutely s*cks, falling off smooth surfaces after a while. You want the good stuff, the type that if you put it on a brick wall, and pull it away, the brick just about comes with it. A contractor supply place is where you get it.

2) Unusual fuels some stoves use.

3) Inexpensively-priced freeze-dried foods.

4) Some synthetic-fabric clothes items, especially bike pants, socks, etc.

5) Whole-wheat blueberry newtons (like fig newtons).

6) Sil-nylon anything, especially stuff sacks.

7) Umbrellas with mylar.

8) Silk sleeping bag liners.

9) Unusual items protective against insects.

10) Spare LED headlamps with batteries.

11) Gaiters.

12) Parachute cord.

13) Frozen solid bottles of popular fruit juices (orange, grape, tomato). These are wonderful to take on the Trail to drink later; a large one will be cold for HOURS. I take a frozen $1.99 Sam's Choice 2-quart grape juice plastic bottle with me routinely when I day hike on hot days (have to put it in the freezer 20 hours or so ahead of time).

14) Maps. Consider stocking some quadrangle maps of nearby popular areas; they're about 7 bucks to buy at the state Geologic Survey.

15) Hard-to-find sizes of ziploc bags, especially thick, high-quality ones.

16) Turtlenecks (not the whole shirt/sweater; just the neck).

Mountain Dew
02-26-2005, 01:21
1. duct tape in very small hiker sized rolls
2. small pump bug spray that local stores don't carry
3. quality light weight tent stakes
4. biners
5. bear rope
6. pot holder
7. seam sealer
8. 42" straps
9. fuel canisters
10. small plastic bottles for cooking oil or camp soap
11. cord locks
12. can stoves
13. individual ziplock baggies
14. map dana's
15. zipper pulls
16. platypus repair kit
17. platypus hose
18. platypus bite valve
19. platypus clips
20. trowel
21. clevis pins and split rings
22. water repellant spray
23. pot cozys

that about covers it .....

squirrel bait
02-26-2005, 07:15
Duct tape sold by the foot/yard
Small tubes super glue
Alcohol by the ounce
Graphite for zippers
Blue tip matches
Nylon and/or leather strapping sold by the foot/yard
and a t-shirt from Miss Janet's
Good luck on supplying your closet. I'm sure it will grow and take on a life of it's own, think Bill Cosby's Chicken Heart.

Doctari
02-26-2005, 09:07
Assorted "Fastec" type buckles.
Sewing needles & thread: Heavy duty
Bleach (in 1 cup containers?): for cleaning hydration tubing & related.
I second, third & forth: Duct tape.
knife sharpening stone (or similar), not for sale & perhaps too BIG for a hiker to carry, but avalable for use :)
Mole skin, bandaids, etc.
Many here @ WB are going to alcohol fuel, but some still do the other types of fuel: perhaps a few assorted fuel bottles &/or cannisters. (my fuel bottle is a MtDew bottle, avalable anywhere :) )
JB Weld epoxy?
Insect repellent.

Doctari.

art to linda
02-26-2005, 10:58
tea candles.... the 5 hour burn, unscented kind

good for emergency heat, cooking, and light to read or write at night :)

Nightwalker
02-26-2005, 17:40
This is getting funny. Look back at the original question. :D

Flash Hand
03-08-2005, 03:58
*Lightweight Tent Stakes

How come? forget to pack them in? (violate Leave No Trace) or break them when you tried to push it down with your boots?

Lesson learned.. dont try to use your foot to push stakes down..or you break them. Thank Goodness that outfitters at Damascus sells them.

Flash Hand :jump

treetrunks
03-08-2005, 09:05
Loose joints

Ramble~On
03-09-2005, 03:45
Aside from all of the above:
& apologies if I repeat someone:
Quart size powdered drink mixes (Koolaid, Gatorade)
Quart size "Milkman" powdered milk
Butter or margarine by the stick
Lexan spoons
Small "baby" BIC lighters
Single roll toilet paper
Individual stamps
Individual envelopes
Pre-Paid calling Cards (AT&T, whatever)
1.5 ounce Hand sanitizer bottles
Assorted Nalgene containers (2oz & up)
Coffee by the ziplock
Firstaid stuff for individual sale:
Antibotic cream, bandaids, blister kits, aspirin
Replacement headlamp bulbs....

Echo4
04-29-2005, 11:40
Moleskin
batteries
socks
environmentally safe soap

Stoker53
04-29-2005, 11:45
replacement hip belt buckles

Panzer1
04-30-2005, 02:17
20. trowel
trowel??? What's the trowel for? Are you going to be doing some gardening?

Iso/Butane canisters would be nice..

Panzer

Lone Wolf
04-30-2005, 02:19
Trowel is for digging a s**thole.

Panzer1
04-30-2005, 02:43
In that case, wouldn't you already have a trowel by the time you got to Miss Janet's?

Panzer

Nean
04-30-2005, 08:55
to answer Panzer1: No, ones trowel could be lost, broken or maybe some have decided privys stink, think I'll poop in the woods from here out :) Has anyone said Advil? Shotgun shells?

Ridge
04-30-2005, 12:02
High quality "duct tape", take the giant roll and make a bunch of hiker size rolls and sell.

High quality zip-lock bags and/or freezer bags. Again, take large box and break up into smaller quantities and sell.

"medicated powder" (Gold Bond) in hiker size containers, my husband swears by this stuff.

toilet paper

These are just a few, but you can make bucks off this kind of stuff. hikerwife

Panzer1
04-30-2005, 13:00
to answer Panzer1: No, ones trowel could be lost, broken or maybe some have decided privys stink, think I'll poop in the woods from here out :) Has anyone said Advil? Shotgun shells? So, if Miss Janet is only going to carry only 10 emergency things, you guys are saying that one of those 10 things should be a trowel, just incase you loose/break your trowel somewhere on the trail??

Wouldn't it be better if she carried food items or fuel that everyone could use.

Panzer

Lugnut
04-30-2005, 17:02
High quality "duct tape", take the giant roll and make a bunch of hiker size rolls and sell.

High quality zip-lock bags and/or freezer bags. Again, take large box and break up into smaller quantities and sell.

"medicated powder" (Gold Bond) in hiker size containers, my husband swears by this stuff.

toilet paper

These are just a few, but you can make bucks off this kind of stuff. hikerwife

No self respecting hiker is going to "sell" any extras. More likely to do the right thing and give them away or donate to any hiker box.

Lugnut
04-30-2005, 17:07
So, if Miss Janet is only going to carry only 10 emergenct things, you guys are saying that one of those 10 things shoued be a trowel, just incase you loose/break your trowel somewhere on the trail??

Wouldn't it be better if she carried food items or fuel that everyone could use.

Panzer

I never saw a need for a trowel. Any thin flat stone works as well or better. I haven't done the whole trail yet but haven't found anyplace so far that is devoid of stones. ;)

Roland
04-30-2005, 18:13
No self respecting hiker is going to "sell" any extras. More likely to do the right thing and give them away or donate to any hiker box. I think hikerwife was responding to Miss Janet's question, at the start of this thread.

plodder
05-01-2005, 04:06
Microfiber glass cleaning cloths, available from optician type store.

A-Train
05-01-2005, 11:32
So, if Miss Janet is only going to carry only 10 emergenct things, you guys are saying that one of those 10 things should be a trowel, just incase you loose/break your trowel somewhere on the trail??

Panzer

Erwin to Damascus is the ONLY section on the AT without privies, so her carrying trowels would be incredibly handy actually. I never use one anymore since I can time it to use privies, but I would probably pick one up for this section alone. Obviously not too hard to use a pole or stick or finger, but i think the 2-3 bucks is worth it.

Why would she bother carrying food items when there are a couple large supermarkets in town? Makes sense for a place like Standing Bear and White House Landing, but selling food would be a waste of time and money for Janet

Panzer1
05-01-2005, 13:04
... so her carrying trowels would be incredibly handy actually.

"Trowels? We don't need no stinking trowels!" Alfonso Bedoya - Treasure of the Sierra Madre. excerpt line from one of my favorite movies..

Panzer

Peaks
05-01-2005, 16:57
... so her carrying trowels would be incredibly handy actually.

Panzer

Actually, aren't there shovels at most of the shelters that lack privies? So, no more need for a trowel here than anywhere else.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 01:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnut
No self respecting hiker is going to "sell" any extras. More likely to do the right thing and give them away or donate to any hiker box.

I think hikerwife was responding to Miss Janet's question, at the start of this thread.
Roland, you are correct, I was only responding to Miss Janet's question, at the start of this thread. In fact, I was trying to point out that hikers don't want to buy large quantities to have to carry or give away. Also cheaper to purchase hiker/ backpacker sized items. hikerwife

Lugnut
05-02-2005, 11:19
Okay, after rereading the original post it makes sense. Sometimes it's easy to loose track of where a thread is going. :o

Nean
05-02-2005, 15:10
I like to carry two trowels- just in case

Rift Zone
05-04-2005, 12:11
Along with the other great suggestions, I would include:

Triangular tipped leather sewing needles.

Gore-tex Patches? -At least rip-stop.

Seam Grip !!!