PDA

View Full Version : ok guys- revised schedule for THanksgiving hike

BlakeGrice
09-20-2011, 00:17
Hello everyone- like I said in my original thread- newbie here. I had this vision of hiking Springer to the state line in 4 days. Y'all have educated me otherwise and I realize that is a stretch. So here in my updated agenda- see what you think.

23 Nov 11
Springer Mountain to Hawk Mountain Shelter 7.8 Miles. I am bringing a small 2 man tent for my wife and I, as I think the tent would be warmer than the shelter- and from what I understand in November it could get real cold.

24 Nov 11
7am depart from Hawk Mtn. Shelter and hike 12.3 to Woody Gap. 2 options here- and its depending on how cold my wife gets on night 1 lol. Option a- tent or shelter. Option 2- Hitch to town to stay in Hiker hostel hikerhostel.com.

25 Nov 11
Woody Gap to Neels gap 10.6 miles. Another optional hostel there for 15 bucks a piece.

Ok do I originally stopped it there. @ 30 miles. I have worked in an optional 4th day--

26 Nov 11
Optional long day--- Neels Gap to unicoi gap- 20 miles. Will have a car waiting at Unicoi.

So I am thinking that trip is doable for a first outing. 30-50 miles over 4 days.

I don't want to kill myself on the trip- but not looking for a leisurely hike either. I want to come home with a sense of accomplishment.

I am pretty knowledgable about outdoors in general including land navigation, first aid, fire, water purification, etc

Im not sure what the best options for food will be- MRE's the whole trip for evening meal? Should I carry food that can be cooked in alcohol stove or campfire? I really don't know what the easiest thing there would be.

Also- what is the best way to clean your water for drinking? By best, I mean quickest but at the same time killing anything that would make me sick.

Input is appreciated.

Trailweaver
09-20-2011, 01:24
This looks like a better plan than your first one. . . you have given yourself some "wiggle room" here. If you use the Hiker Hostel to shuttle you, you can leave your car with them and it will be kept safe. You probably won't be able to "hitch" a ride from Hawk Mt., but there is a highway crossing at Woody Gap. (It's not far from the HH.)

You are not going to want to take MRE's. They are incredibly heavy and overpackaged. You should investigate foods that you like at the grocery store that are lightweight and can be repackaged into lighter packages. Search around here for ideas on that. You can take dehydrated foods (can buy these online or in some grocery stores) or do your own dehydrating to make soups, spaghetti, pasta dishes. You can do a lot with Ramen noodles (add things, mix things together). If you want an easy "out" check out some websites like

packitgourmet.com hawkvittles.com freezerbagcooking.com minimus.com trailcooking.com spicehouse.com
backpacking.com has a section on cooking in the backcountry and you can find recipies. Backpacking magazine also has recipies every month now. You will probably want something simple for lunch, but may cook breakfast and dinner. Be sure to allow for snacks while you are hiking - you're going to burn calories like crazy, and more since it will be cold.

Are you planning to take a stove to cook with? Stoves are easier and less messy to cook with, but in cold weather there are things you have to know to cook with them. Some stoves are unreliable or "fussy" when it's cold. You better know what you have and how to cook with it in the cold if you take a stove or you will be hungry.

Water purification is covered over and over here. . . just search for it and choose the method you like best. Depends on how much you want to fuss with it. I'm very particular about it, and I do more than most, but I've never been sick and don't intend to. Also, with the water in November, you won't have problems with finding water, but remember to store your water bottle where it won't freeze or keep it tightly closed but upside down so that if it does freeze you can have water in the a.m. (If if freezes upside down, you turn it right-side up and there will be water - ice on the bottom of the bottle.) If you use a water bladder and tube, it's another story.

PapaGarrettP
09-20-2011, 09:01
Hey BlakeGrice!
My son and I are doing almost the same trip a few days before you. We are going to park our car at Amicalola State Park on Saturday the 19th and get a ride to Woody Gap, then hike south to the car by Tuesday evening (28 miles). I put in a good buffer because I absolutely need to be in Sarasota on Turkey Day.

We are definitely taking a stove (Jetboil). Hot dinners, soups and coffee will be important for me and the lad. Also a full tent instead of tarp. Weather is tricky that time of year and you just don't know now what the pattern will be. Also, I always take a map and compass. For warmth, definitely gloves and liners and a wool hat. Long underwear for sleeping in. No cotton at all, though I am going back and forth on weather to take jeans. My synthetic pants just seem too light. Any suggestions here?

If you want to give me a call on Wednesday I will be glad to give you a last minute report on trail conditions (954-663-9134).

max patch
09-20-2011, 09:23
I don't know anything about you, so just off the top of my head I'll say that while 3 days to cover 30 miles makes sense, 1 day to cover 20 miles doesn't. Keep in mind the short days of late November.

Given the schedule of your first 3 days, seems to me an alternative to consider would be AFSP to Neels; or approx 4 days to cover 40 miles.

bigcranky
09-20-2011, 09:57
That fourth day will be a tough one. The 11 miles to Low Gap shelter have a lot of steep up and down, though the next 9 miles to Unicoi are easier.

If it were me I would leave my car at Neels Gap, and do the fourth day to Hogpen Gap and get a ride back. That plan gives you the option of taking an extra day to get to Neels if you need it. (Springer>Hawk>Gooch>Woods Hole>Neels.) That last day is relatively short. You could also do Springer>Hawk>Gooch>Neels, giving you a long third day, but you'll be coming into a warm, dry hostel at the end of the day. Then get a ride to Hogpen Gap and walk back to Neels.

In any case it sounds like you are doing a good job with the planning. Good luck.

BlakeGrice
09-20-2011, 17:09
Thanks guys! ok I want to respond to everyone- Trailweaver very good point about MREs. I should have said that I would field strip them down and basically pack 3 into 1...but I will definitely check out those sites and come up with a better, lighter plan. I didnt know there was a highway crossing near the hiker hostel- will definitely take that route and get there that way. As far as the stove goes- not sure. Guess I almost have to though. I have access to one and will make sure Im up to speed with it between now and then.

Pappagarrettp I will definitely call you wed. My number is 864-353-7889

Big cranky- valid point. I know that 20 miles in one day would be a killer.

We are taking a full tent and are outfitted with good quality cold weather gear, mostly patagonia.

bigcranky
09-20-2011, 18:15
You'll need a stove. Seriously. Hot drinks are almost a requirement that time of year. I like to bring a "Russian tea" mix of decaf instant tea, Tang, and spices, along with the usual hot chocolate and tea bags. Makes a good hot drink any time of the day. Coffee in the morning, if you like that sort of thing (I do.) Don't discount the HUGE boost to morale from a simple hot drink. Bring a couple of insulated mugs, or buy or make cozies for your pot/mug. That'll keep your drink and food hot.

BlakeGrice
09-20-2011, 23:27
ok cool thanks. Stove is definitely going.

Trailweaver
09-21-2011, 02:36
To PappaGarrettP. . . do not take/wear jeans. If you get those wet (and it's likely) you will freeze. Even if you take them off, you have a lot of weight to carry and nothing (?) to wear. Wear thermal underwear under your synthetic pants. You layer up or down as needed. Also, the synthetic pants tend to be a little more "wind-proof." You could also consider waterproof pants over thermals. Those are good wind protection as well.

Re: hot drinks. You will love having a hot drink. Take hot chocolate, tea, whatever. There is also a spiced cider "instant" drink that comes in envelopes like hot chocolate. Kroger brand is actually a good one. The sugar in the hot drink gives you a bit of energy, and it's good to make the hot drink when you first get into camp - helps you have the energy to set up the tent, etc.

The trail in that area is so well worn that you shouldn't get lost (map and compass). Take the AT guidebook for the North Carolina-Georgia section (copy just the pages you need to save weight), and you're good to go. The guidebook gives you a very good overview of what you're hiking, almost mile by mile.

PapaGarrettP
09-21-2011, 07:57
Thanks, Trailweaver. Any recommendations on the pants? We bought some from REI for a section hike in March (zip-off at knees). They are nice, but very light. I am wondering if any of the major brands make a heavier, fall/winter pair that does zip off at the knee.

The map and compass is for emergencies -- if we had to bail off on a side trail to a main road. I have a very light Silva compass and have been trying to get my son to always be "situationally aware" of where we are in relation to the shelter, roads and other waypoints. The guidebooks are great. I ordered the one for Georgia, but they are on backorder -- new one about to be published in September.

Fredt4
09-21-2011, 14:43
My suggestion for pants is full zip rainpants (mine are North Face). I like shorts, yes every during the winter. All should be drip dry, jeans weren't a good choice even 30 years ago. Layer vs. one warm item is the way to go. When you start to hike in warm pants, you'll quickly realize you made a huge mistake. Fires are nice for cooking, but a good stove is more reliable and easier. Seriously doubt the temperature will be cold enough to worry about it affecting a good canister stove. Personally I don't like Jetboil too heavy and limits your choice of foods. Say eggs and bacon for an early morning in November. Getting hungry just thinking about it.

BlakeGrice
09-21-2011, 14:57
where is the best place to get a georgia section map?

bigcranky
09-21-2011, 21:27
Any backpacking outfitter should have it. Or you can join the ATC and get a discount ordering from their online store.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/

Airmed802
09-21-2011, 22:10
The section from Springer to Hawk mountain is pretty easy. I did it in about 3 hours a couple of months ago. You could probably stretch that day out some. Gooch Mountain Shelter would be a good stop.
I would agree that the 20 miles on the fourth day would be tough. That section to low gap has some tough climbs. It took me a day from Neels to low gap, but only about 4 hrs from low gap to unicoi.

BlakeGrice
09-21-2011, 22:35
maybe springer to cooper on first day?

BlakeGrice
09-21-2011, 22:36
and if the last day is from Neels to low- what would be the best way to get back to our car at springer?

PapaGarrettP
09-22-2011, 08:21
[QUOTE=Jetboil too heavy and limits your choice of foods. Say eggs and bacon for an early morning in November. Getting hungry just thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha, that reminds me of the time I tried to cook pancakes with a jet boil. Burned center and gloppy everything else. The jetfoil does one thing well: boil water!

PapaGarrettP
09-22-2011, 08:23
[QUOTE=bigcranky;1202440]Any backpacking outfitter should have it. Or you can join the ATC and get a discount ordering from their online store.

Regarding topo maps for short sections, I think you can download them from this site and, if you have access to a color copier, run them off at work and pass out to your buddies that are hiking with you.