Lizbeth
02-23-2005, 15:15
Hi all,

I am a graduate student in the geography department at the University of
Minnesota, currently conducting research on perceptions of nature and
transformation of place through the inscription of meaning. I grew up in
Boiling Springs, PA and spent considerable time on the Appalachian trail in
Cumberland Valley as a child and teenager. As it played a large role in my
own life, I am interested in understanding the relationship that others of any generation, particularly thru-hikers, have had with both the space of the trail and with other hikers encountered along it.

I would like to interview several people who have completed hiking the trail about their experience. Is there anyone out there interested in infoming this research as an interviewee? The interviews would be conducted by phone and consist of about 8 questions and will take approximately 15-20
minutes.

Please email me or respond directly to this post if you would be willing to share your experiences.

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Elizabeth R. Johnson

Department of Geography
University of Minnesota
414 Social Sciences Building
267 - 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN, USA 55455

weary
02-23-2005, 15:30
Hi all,
I am ... currently conducting research on perceptions of nature and
transformation of place through the inscription of meaning. ...
You will first have to explain what "transformation of place through the inscription of meaning" means, because I don't have a clue.

Weary

The Solemates
02-23-2005, 15:37
Id be willing to help. Email me.

MOWGLI
02-23-2005, 16:20
You will first have to explain what "transformation of place through the inscription of meaning" means, because I don't have a clue.

Weary

I believe she's talking about the development of a "sense of place" Weary.

The Will
02-23-2005, 23:35
I'll participate.

Rain Man
02-24-2005, 11:49
Well... I was gonna copy-and-paste your post into an email to my daughter, but then I realized you gave no contact information at all in your post, except for snail mail. If you're truly desperate, you might think of giving your readers multiple quick and easy ways of contacting you, Oh Research Science Graduate Student Person. I'm not trying to be overly fussy, just able to share based on my greater experience at making the same mistake! LOL
:jump
Rain Man

Footslogger
02-24-2005, 11:58
Send us the questionnaire via e-mail or PM. Both my wife and I will fill one out for you.

'Slogger and BadAss Turtle

Lizbeth
02-24-2005, 19:10

Weary

Sorry! To be clearer, I just mean to get at the way different people understand place, natural places in particular, in different ways. Because the AT is very meaningful to many people in terms of experience, I am interested in it and the way that it can help us understand how a place that is little more than a narrow strip of hills and trees on a map becomes the space for an action (thru-hiking) that is frequently characterized as a spiritual journey.

Scorpion
02-24-2005, 20:20
Lizbeth
I'd be glad to participate.
[email protected]
478-237-2381

Scorpion GA-ME 04