PDA

View Full Version : Start date

attroll
09-20-2011, 11:18
I am thinking of doing the John Muir Trail. Everything I have read says that it is hot and buggy from July to August. I want to avoid the bugs.
So my question is, would a April or Marc h start date be to soon? I do not want to hit a lot of snow either.

perrito
09-20-2011, 11:45
Doood, you will not be able to hike it during those months. It's generally snowbound until June.

Lots of great info here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/

Helmuth.Fishmonger
09-21-2011, 15:02
I am thinking of doing the John Muir Trail. Everything I have read says that it is hot and buggy from July to August. I want to avoid the bugs.
So my question is, would a April or Marc h start date be to soon? I do not want to hit a lot of snow either.

You'll be in for a hardass ski tour before mid May, somtimes even late May. Hiking weather begins in July in normal years with spring conditions.

To avoid bugs, go in late August/early September

Sly
09-21-2011, 16:08
I'd start after Labor Day, that way not only should the snow and bugs be gone, you'll have the trail mostly to yourself.

No need to join the Yahoo group, I can probably answer any questions you have.

attroll
09-22-2011, 00:12
I'd start after Labor Day, that way not only should the snow and bugs be gone, you'll have the trail mostly to yourself.

No need to join the Yahoo group, I can probably answer any questions you have.
Thanks Sly. I don't really want to be by myself. I just want to avoid the bug season and the snow. Company would be nice.