PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with kids

charlieo
09-20-2011, 15:43
Getting my daughter into hiking, she is seven. She really likes being in the woods, we hiked to spruce peak and back to rt. 11/30. As soon as we were done she wanted to plan another hike of 10 miles. I decided to do stratton mt. this weekend, that way we have a destination of the firetower. I think we will work our way up to 10 miles. She decided she wants to wear long socks and use hiking poles this time. She is a quick learner. She really thought it was cool we could hike all the way to georgia or go the other way to maine(we have family close to greenville).

Anyone have any suggestions on hikes in southern Vt. area and any thing else. I find it better to have a destination to get too. What about packs for kids, I'm thinking christmas present.

Ladytrekker
09-20-2011, 18:50
Does she like to read Jan Liteshoe wrote a book called "The Ordinary Adventurer" it is her hike of The Long Trail which you so luckily have in your backyard of Vermont it would be a good book to read together and it is a woman's view. I would suggest section hiking the Long Trail then when you have completed the entire thing she will have a great accomplishment under her belt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Trail. I cannot help you with backpacks for kids but I definitely would get her started on light weight hiking since she is so young and still growing. Golite makes a real lite pack and my favorite is ULA I have a circuit but they do make smaller packs. And ULA may work with you on a smaller belt because they are a US company and very easy to work with also they have "S" straps made for girls. Glad to hear you and your daughter have found a great common interest. And get her to journal her trips and get her a good small camera she will have a ball documenting the adventures. happy trails to you both.

CrumbSnatcher
09-20-2011, 20:26
my daughter will be 4 yrs old next month,been in the woods some and getting into hiking and bike riding now. should be a hoot! :-)

Blissful
09-20-2011, 20:29
Little thru hiker in the making. You both should plan to thru hike together in the future :) (see my avatar on the pic of my son and I completing in '07. He did it at age 16)

just dad
09-20-2011, 20:34
I started backpacking with my kids five years ago when my son was seven and my daugther was 9. We have now hiked from Springer to Harpers Ferry. The biggest obstacle with my daugher was for her to get mentally committed to hiking the AT. For a couple years the hikes were my hikes and my son's hikes. My daughter just did not feel the connection. I was eventually able to discover what made my daughter happy and incorporated those things into our backpacking. So, pay attention to what your daughter enjoys in the woods and you will have many great miles ahead of you. Pack selection will depend on what kind of hiking/backpacking you plan on doing. A daypack may be sufficient. The Deuter Fox 30 pack is a decent backpack for kids, but it weighs about 2 pounds. That is a heavy pack if the kid is only carring 6 or 8 pounds. We all now carry ULA packs, which are great packs. I don't think they are yet making anything that will come close to fitting a 7 year old. Feel free to private message me for more info.

charlieo
09-20-2011, 21:12
I think she is just as excited about hiking as I am, I be sure she helps in the planning of destination and menu for the day. We will do some more day hikes then work our way up to overnights, she loves camping. Right now all she carries is a school backpack with her lunch, snacks and water for the day, would like to get something a little more comfortable and secure for her.

Alligator
09-20-2011, 21:36
This pack (http://www.rei.com/product/813846/rei-comet-pack-kids-special-buy) from REI has been on sale for a bit, good price nice pack. The Deuter Fox 30 is a nice pack as well, it has more adjustability (wider range in the torso and the hipbelt) . The Fox 40 also has a nice range for adjustments. I've noticed a tendency for kids sleeping bags to use older materials if synthetic and they don't always compress as well as adult bags. Not too big an issue if you are carrying the extra. Kids outgrow clothes quickly so you may not be buying the most lightweight compressible clothes either.

Feral Bill
09-21-2011, 01:27
Sensible child. A decent quality pack adjustable for torso length is ideal. If you don't overload or underestimate her your in for years of fun together. The nearest thrift store is your friend for suitable clothing.

charlieo
09-22-2011, 11:02
Alligator, I do like that pack, too bad it doesn't come in pink or purple, she is a girly girl after all. But I am taking it under serious consideration. Gonna check my local ems store too.
She is stoked about going hiking Sunday.

Blissful
09-22-2011, 11:05
Alligator, I do like that pack, too bad it doesn't come in pink or purple,

He he this is cute. :)

red dawg
09-22-2011, 15:39
I just purchased this one at REI (link (http://www.rei.com/product/808317/rei-tarn-18-pack-youth)) for my very tall almost 6 year old. It may be a little big for him right now but he will certainly grow into it! I also got the camelback 1.5L but may upgrade that to a 2.0L if it will fit.