PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Gear TQ & UQ showed up!

STICK
09-20-2011, 22:46
Over the last couple of months I have found the comfort of a hammock. Enough to realize that I want to continue using it into the colder months, so I decided I would need to get something to keep my butt from freezing! A pad didn't work, so I turned to Hammock Gear for the alternative. (OK, and the fact that Adam added cuben fiber as an option didn't help... :) )

Also, after ordering a summer weight quilt many many months ago and it never coming around I decided to order the quilt form Hammock Gear as well.

Happily, they both came in last week and I finally got around to posting a first look kind of review of each to my blog. So, check them out!

Hammock Gear 50 F Burrow Custom Top Quilt (http://sticksblog.com/2011/09/18/first-look-hammock-gear-custom-50-f-burrow-top-quilt/)

Hammock Gear 20 F Phoenix Cuben Fiber Under Quilt (http://sticksblog.com/2011/09/10/first-look-hammock-gear-20-f-phoenix-cuben-fiber-underquilt/)

Ewker
09-21-2011, 09:07
Hammock Gear makes a great quilt no matter which one you get. The top quilts are great for tenters also. We have quite a few of their quilts

STICK
09-21-2011, 19:08
They really are very nice looking pieces, no doubt.

I think that it will work pretty good. I have no doubt that it will work in the hammock down to 40, especially if the 20 F Phoenix is under me. I am not so sure how it will do on the ground though. The quilt is a little narrower than my GoLite quilt so I will have to see how it does with drafts.

If worst comes to worst, I can always let my wife have this one and get another one. To be honest, I would be happy if it was as much as 7 inches wider in the shoulder area, and I don't think that it would really add much weight at all. Especially if I went with the 7d fabric. Heck, it may not be any heavier...

Wags
09-23-2011, 09:34
i have to tell you i'm pretty sad that stormcrow's measurements were so far off, especially the underquilt. i'm pretty close to saving my money for a new winter UQ and i want to buy from him. but his quality control seems to be a bit off at the moment. my buddy just got a quilt that was the wrong quilt and the measurements were off on that one as well. :(

that said, he is operating on the cutting edge with cutting edge materials. there's no one else out there right now doing what he's doing (maybe tim marshall, but his quilts are wicked expensive and out of my price range). good, objective review stick.

STICK
09-23-2011, 13:27
Wags, I agree with you, the measurement thing was a bit disheartening at first. But, I still think that it will work for me if I keep it. And as you have said, Adam is working with some cutting edge materials and end up being really very nice pieces. I will admit that I have come to really like the UQ, more than I thought I would at first. I leave it laid out on my son's top bunk bed and every once in a while I will walk by it and gaze at it... and the down is so soft and fluffy... it is very hard not to like! In the end, while I was disappointed, I will probably order from him again, once I save some money, so it will be next year... I will just call first and try to get things as squared away as possible.

It is interesting that you mention that your buddy got a quilt and it did not measure up either. Not picking on Adam, or his products, but I wonder how many people really measure and weigh thing up once they get them and compare them to the listed specs. I think it is pretty fair to say that many simply go by what is listed on the site and leave it at that. Whereas there are obviously others that do measure them and weigh them...

Interestingly enough, there is the POE pad thread going on this site at the moment that also shows people come up with different specs. Lighter pad and different materials...

Buffalo Skipper
09-23-2011, 14:26
FWIW, I just ordered and received (yesterday!) a 20° Burrow, long with 1 oz of overfill. It weighs in at 23.4 oz. Standard weights in at 20.1. When you figure that the long is 5" (roughtly 7% longer, probably 8% by weight as it is on the widest part of the quilt) that comes to 21.7 oz, plus one ounce of overfill (possibly slightly more, as it is a long bag), and I weighted it in the stuff sack (.5 oz?) that comes to 23.2 oz. Only a difference of 0.2 oz (not factoring in the overfill on a long vs standard lenght bag).

If someone is making a production product to within .2 oz of stated weights, I would say that is pretty good!

No complaints from me. :)

Ewker
09-23-2011, 15:50
i have to tell you i'm pretty sad that stormcrow's measurements were so far off, especially the underquilt. i'm pretty close to saving my money for a new winter UQ and i want to buy from him. but his quality control seems to be a bit off at the moment. my buddy just got a quilt that was the wrong quilt and the measurements were off on that one as well. :(

that said, he is operating on the cutting edge with cutting edge materials. there's no one else out there right now doing what he's doing (maybe tim marshall, but his quilts are wicked expensive and out of my price range). good, objective review stick.

have you called him and talked to him about the problem? I have dealt with him before and got things worked out with no problems. They back their products.

Hooch
09-23-2011, 16:16
have you called him and talked to him about the problem? I have dealt with him before and got things worked out with no problems. They back their products.Agree with Ewker 100%! Adam and Jenny are stand up folks who back their product. I own two of their quilts and have one on the way. Call them and I'm sure they'll set everything straight for you.

STICK
09-23-2011, 16:56
Thanks for the info Buffalo Skipper, and like I said, I am not picking on Adam or his quilts. Just curious though, what is the total length and width of your Burrow?

Ewker & Hooch,

I am not sure if you were asking me or Wags if Adam & Jenny were called back and this was discussed. But I feel safe in assuming it was me since Wags has yet to buy. So, as far as me, I mentioned in both of my reports/videos that I immediately called Adam back when I opened the box and found the smaller than listed dimensions and spoke with him (and then I spent about a week with the pieces before I wrote an initial impressions report on them). I talked with Adam on the phone for 40 minutes, and I have also spoke with him on the phone another time after that. I agree with you, he was very concerned with the issue and with correcting any issues. He has offered to make another one and send it and I have taken him up on that. The replacement UQ should be here anytime (I think) and I will do a comparison of the 2 and report on my blog.

Let me just say right now that other than the actual smaller than listed dimensions, I have not got one bad thing to say about Adam and Jenny or Hammock Gear or their products, and I really hope that this thread does not turn out that way. Both my TQ and UQ, while smaller than listed, are works of beauty. And I do plan on making future purchases with them...

However, this being said, I think that Wags made a great comment.

rjjones
09-23-2011, 16:59
Got my first TQ and UQ and got to use them last weekend{20 degree pheonix and a 20 degree burrow}.WOW,what a difference going from a pad to an UQ.I am one of those people who dont measure my stuff when it comes in so i cant coment on their accuracy.I went with the cuban on the UQ and the 7 Deneir on the TQ,both are VERY light.And did i say WOW?

Buffalo Skipper
09-23-2011, 17:16
Thanks for the info Buffalo Skipper, and like I said, I am not picking on Adam or his quilts. Just curious though, what is the total length and width of your Burrow?

The width is standard, and the length is long which is to say, it is 5" longer than standard, according to the website data. It has hardly been out of the box for 24 hours, and I have weighed it, but I have not actually measured its dimensions.

At first, I though I was slightly disappointed, but it is a great quilt, and I love it! As I did the actual math, above, I started to realize that the weight is pretty much where it should be. With this in mind, I quickly accepted the weight as "what it is." I came down from a Kelty Light Year 25° bag which weighed in at 42.2 oz. I gained (lost) nearly 19 oz (1.25 lbs!) while lowering my servicable temp by at least 10°(probably more like 15°). Finally, the Borrow has 900 fill down vs 650 (at best), it takes up about 1/2 the space, which is nice for my now smaller backpack.

For me, those are significant improvements. I have no complaints, except that the weather here is too warm for me to use it, and it will realistically be late October (if I am lucky) before I will have a real chance to try it out.

STICK
09-23-2011, 17:16
rjjones,

I hear ya on light...my 50 F Burrow TQ uses M90 and 1 oz of overfill but it is so light that I sometimes have to look down to make sure it is still on my legs... :)

STICK
09-23-2011, 17:24
The width is standard, and the length is long which is to say, it is 5" longer than standard, according to the website data. It has hardly been out of the box for 24 hours, and I have weighed it, but I have not actually measured its dimensions.

At first, I though I was slightly disappointed, but it is a great quilt, and I love it! As I did the actual math, above, I started to realize that the weight is pretty much where it should be. With this in mind, I quickly accepted the weight as "what it is." I came down from a Kelty Light Year 25° bag which weighed in at 42.2 oz. I gained (lost) nearly 19 oz (1.25 lbs!) while lowering my servicable temp by at least 10°(probably more like 15°). Finally, the Borrow has 900 fill down vs 650 (at best), it takes up about 1/2 the space, which is nice for my now smaller backpack.

For me, those are significant improvements. I have no complaints, except that the weather here is too warm for me to use it, and it will realistically be late October (if I am lucky) before I will have a real chance to try it out.

I was a bit the same concerning weight (of the UQ) when I unboxed it and set it on my scales, however, if I remove the suspension and the stuff sack and weigh only the UQ, it will then be around what is listed. The only thing about this fact though is that if it were actually the size which is listed as on the site, it will obviously be off, on the heavier side.

I am in the same boat as you as well considering what the TQ has replaced too. Of course mine is more of a summer quilt, but I went from a 27.2 oz GoLite TQ to a 12.9 oz (excluding stuff sack) Hammock Gear TQ! Can't be upset about that! The only way to get it lighter would be to use lighter material... and trust me, I have thought about that... :) All I keep hearing is sevenD...

Buffalo Skipper
09-23-2011, 17:39
Stick, next on my list is a Summer Burrow, which I am considering getting with 1 oz of overstuff. This should weight in at about 16 oz and be good down to about 35°. I will play with the Burrow I have, and order the next one before spring arrives. Currently, I do not have a good spring/fall quilt/bag. I have either gone with my LightYear or a 15 oz REI fleece mummy liner. I have "tested" a 40° Wally World square bag, but really doesn't fit will in the hammock (and it weights a whopping 3.5 lbs!) Looking for a Goldilocks quilt for those Goldilocks temps (40s to 50s).

I wonder if the lenghts are based on empty fabric, before stuffed? This may shorten the lenght slightly, but I am speculating here. I am looking forward to hear your blog on the new quilt.

STICK
09-23-2011, 18:16
I wonder if the lenghts are based on empty fabric, before stuffed? This may shorten the lenght slightly, but I am speculating here. I am looking forward to hear your blog on the new quilt.

I thought the same but Adam said that the lengths are finished lengths. Concerning my TQ, he did say that a little more than 1 oz of down may have been added which may have drawn it up more, but not that much.

The summer burrow was listed as a 35 - 40 F quilt but then he changed the names. However, lots of people say that his quilts are warmer than rated. I figure if you add an oz of overfill, and depending on how you sleep, it may be good to freezing... which only makes it more versatile.

I may be wishing, but I am hoping that my 50 F Burrow with the extra oz of down will get me to 40 F. I think I will have no problem in the hammock, and especially if the 20 Phoenix is under me, but on the ground is another story... good thing that the temps are finally starting to drop so I can find out! I will be sleeping out in my hammock again tonight, of course with my HG quilts snuggled around me...

Wags
09-24-2011, 10:59
the width is the reason i went with the hammockgear in the first place (on my old UQ). if not, the warbonnet yeti is lighter than the comparable HG quilt. i wanted that 52" so that i can lay on a pretty extreme diagonal and still have my shoulders covered. hopefully adam has seen a couple people say his quilts measurements were off, and made whatever adjustments he has to in order to get his quilts back on spec. i have a feeling that his "helpers" are under a lot of pressure with heavy quilt volume and some quality control has gone to the wayside. being a good businessman though, every instance of this i've seen has resulted in adam doing whatever he has to in order to make things right. my buddy has a new quilt on the way...

Stryder
09-25-2011, 11:09
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to post feedback on some of our products. We are very concerned about quality control around here. When weights and measurements that are different than the advertised specifications start appearing, I take a step back to try to figure out why. I think I may have figured out why some of the Phoenix dimensions were coming out a little off...

First thing to note is that I designed our underquilt to specifically fit the contours of hammock user. I feel the only way to do this is to shape the quilt from the inside...not the edges. This means that I have to start off with a large rectangle and shape it from that. The outer shell is significantly bigger than the inner shell in both length and width to keep that differential that minimizes the compression of the insulation. Since we have to start with so much material, we will always be at a slight disadvantage when it comes to total fabric weight. There is quite a bit if fabric on the inside of the quilt that is never even seen by the quilt owner. I could trim it off but I do not do so for a couple of reasons. One: if the seam were to fail for some reason, the goose down is still contained....two: the extra material on the inside also acts as additional baffling to further aid in the management of down migration throughout the quilt. Not sure if any of that makes sense but I am just trying to explain why we probably use more material than some of the other underquilt manufacturers out there.

This method of construction also seems to be the reason behind some of the narrower underquilts that have escaped the shop. Too much seam allowance, even by just a little, during the quilt construction can gather up too much fabric and result in a narrower quilt. Regarding the length descrepencies, it seems that my version 7 pattern that was used for a short time was in fact a little short (~1.5").

So, we have started rolling out the newest pattern and I expect that the specifications should be much closer to what is listed. There will always be SOME slight differences because, well.....I am not as perfect as I try to be.

Again, I want to thank you guys for sticking with us though this and you graciousness is much appreciated. As always, if there are ever any concerns with our quality please do not hesitate to contact us.

~Adam (Stormcrow)

P.S. Stryder was what I chose back when I joined WB and Stormcrow was taken....:)

STICK
09-25-2011, 11:58
Adam,

Thanks for chiming in and offering your feedback. I think that everyone here (myself included) agrees that not only do you make very nice quality gear, but that you are concerned about your gear once it leaves your shop too. And I think that that is why everyone will continue to recommend, buy and use your gear.