PDA

View Full Version : Arcteryx Bora 65

Jason762
09-21-2011, 00:31
Hey all -

Thinking about swapping my Bora 95 for a Bora 65. I'm 6'2" with a 23.5" torso.

Courious to hear what users of the Bora 65 have to say. I've read some complaints about size (apparently it's a women's pack?) and the water bottle holders seeming flimsy.

Any other comments you might have are welcome

Jason

q-tip
09-21-2011, 11:47
I have the Bora 95 and used it in India trekking inthe Himalayas. Way too much pack and the Bora 65 is quite heavy for the 65L. I found a 60 L pack worked well for 1,000 miles. I am not a strong hiker so the weight is crucial for me.

vic_doom69
09-22-2011, 02:01
might want to look at the altra 65. best pack ive ever owned.

Jason762
09-22-2011, 12:53
Q-Tip, I don't mind the extra weight as long as it's been put into fabric and material. I am looking for a bomb-proof pack that should last me the rest of my backpacking years.

Vic, at first I was going to get the Altra 65, but I heard some complaints about it that weren't covered in Backpacker's 2010 gear review.

1) the hip belt rubbed sores in people's hips & backs and in some made a bleeding hole.
2) The zip-around compartment apparently isn't great, and the zippers aren't waterproof.
3) The top lid doesn't come off to make a day pack - this is a feature I used quite a bit with my bora and my currently used Kifaru.
4) The idea of the hydration bladder on one side of the pack is absurd (in my opinion).
See: Bora v Altra http://granitemountaineer.com/2010/07/15/altra-vs-bora/

I do like the idea of the swiveling hipbelt and pegboard shoulder strap adjustments as I have wide shoulders, but for now, the bad outweighs the good.

-Jason

vic_doom69
09-22-2011, 14:14
just to follow up on some of your concerns, i thruhiked the a.t. in 2010 with my altra 65. it looks brand new with the exception of the hipbelt pockets and one small spot on the hipbelt. i carried aquamira in the left one and rubbed it on some granite going through the mahoosic notch and the corner of the bottle tore the material. i carried ben's bug repellent in the right one and it slightly discolored it and made it a bit stiff instead of stretchy. where the shoulder strap comes down by the hipbelt, it rubbed a small spot on the hipbelt but doesnt effect anything. the pivoting hipbelt and gridlock shoulder straps make this pack the most comfortable pack ive ever owned.

1) like i said i thru hiked in mine and hiked in everything you could imagine from a week straight of being wet in rain to 100+ degree heat and massive sweating to freezing and snowing and never did i have any sore spots from the hipbelt or shoulder fatige. i carried a max weight of 30lbs.

2) the u-zip wasnt very useful to me. i just toploaded it. i may have used it a couple times. no the uzip zipper is not water proof but the lid zippers are.

3) the top lid does come off and im sure with a bit of ingenuity it could be rigged to make a day pack. but i dont think it is one by design.

4) completely agreed. i usually carry bottles in the water bottle pockets instead of a bladder. the few times ive took it out with a bladder i just stick it in the middle of the pack next to my back. i use the bladder pocket as my hamper to hold my dirty socks. lol

what i would like to see is a altra 50 and without the u-zip. to me this would be the perfect size pack as the 65 is way to big for my uses except for winter hiking. i never fill it up but the suspension is so much more comfortable than anything else ive ever had ill keep using it. im 6'4" and weigh 225lbs.

other packs ive had:
ula catalyst
gregory baltoro
north face catalyst
north face skarib
north face crestone
osprey atmos
arcteryx axios
arcteryx arrakis - just got this one and will be using it because it has same suspension as the altra

vic_doom69
09-22-2011, 14:23
oh yeah forgot to add that the waiste belt buckle on mine was garbage and wouldnt stay tight. quick call to arcteryx and they sent me a new one quick which works great

Hooch
09-22-2011, 15:15
PM djcoin, maybe he'll downsize and buy yours. :rolleyes:

Jason762
09-22-2011, 22:13
Well Vic, with your input I may reconsider. I'll go to REI and check out the pack.

Hooch, pack's gone - sold on eBay.

Also, in addition to the Bora 65, I've been considering the Dana Design/Mystery Ranch Glacier pack....

Jason762
09-23-2011, 20:21
Well, went to REI and checked out the pack. They only had the Altra 75 in tall, so I used that one.

Loaded it up with 50 pounds (I think) and took just a few steps. Seemed like with every step the pack would tilt to one side and would cause me to rock and and forth, using my abs to brace myself with each minor jerk.

The fabric seemed really thin and light compared to the Bora 95 I owned, but can't say pro or con. One thing I discovered was that the pack could be used as a top loader. I thought it was front loading only. So that was cool.

I was dissapointed it didn't have a sleeping bag compartment, but I could probably make do with the bag in a stuff sack at the bottom of the pack. The drawstring bothered me, it seemed really thin and flimsy. I thought I might've snapped it tightening the top opening.

I really liked the top lid, and I could see a way to make it into a day bag with some spare male buckles and some 3/4" webbing. Would require it being used as a "sling bag" rather than my preferred "ass pack". No big.

I wasn't sure about how the sternum strap was attached, it has these little metal "hooks" that slot into some webbing on the shoulder straps. I like the idea of having the permanent fixture.

All in all, I rushed though as I was in a hurry to get moving. I did want to do a quick check over and see what I thought. I think I'll be going back and checking it out when I have more time. :-?