PDA

View Full Version : can't decide on a pack. help!

Risu
09-21-2011, 02:40
i'm an average build with a tight budget for gear. i have most of the gear picked out but having a difficult time with a pack. looking to spend no more than $200 on a pack. planning to thru-hike in 2012 and was hoping to get some suggestions based on experience from other thru-hikers.

Maddog
09-21-2011, 02:49
i'm an average build with a tight budget for gear. i have most of the gear picked out but having a difficult time with a pack. looking to spend no more than $200 on a pack. planning to thru-hike in 2012 and was hoping to get some suggestions based on experience from other thru-hikers. That's an easy one...ULA Circuit! http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp :D

Enic
09-21-2011, 07:11
That's an easy one...ULA Circuit! http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp :D
A great pack but doesn't fit the order at $250. Really, a lot of packs can be found for under $200 used, but can't pin down the perfect pack for you.
Make sure it's big enough, without being too big. It's all up to personal hiking style, and budget. Check here is FS forum, craigslist and ebay. Good luck.

Rocket Jones
09-21-2011, 07:28
Check out REI. Their Flash 65 fits your budget, and if it doesn't work out for you, REI will gladly take the return.

Really though, your best course is to go to the outfitters and try a bunch on. Load 'em up and walk around the store with them a while.

Enic
09-21-2011, 07:44
A great pack but doesn't fit the order at $250.
Sorry, the Curcuit is $200 Catalyst ($250) is at top of the link and I confused the two. I still doubt that many new to backpacking could handle the size and wt limits of a ULA pack.

bigcranky
09-21-2011, 07:48
The Circuit is exactly $200 at the ULA web site. (The Catalyst is $250, but that's a different pack. You can tell by the fact that it has a different name and all.)

The Circuit is an excellent thru-hiker's pack: a good compromise between size, weight, and carrying comfort. It's just large enough that you can bring what you need and some food, but not so large that you're tempted to over fill it. I have one and would happily take it on a thru.

That said, you have all your other gear. If you've chosen mostly traditional hiking gear (20-F synthetic bag, 5-pound 2-man double wall tent, etc.) then it won't fit in a Circuit, which is designed for light (but not Ultralight) loads. If all your other gear weighs less than 15 pounds, you should be good to go.

Good luck.

Two Tents
09-21-2011, 08:38
I vote ULA Circuit. Full suspension and can carry a bunch. I gotta agree with bigcranky that you need to know what you are putting in it. I have one and would/will use it for a long distance hike. A whole lot of thru hikers use this model, so that should tell you something. That and you never see bad reports from those that get them.

lush242000
09-21-2011, 08:41
i'm an average build with a tight budget for gear. i have most of the gear picked out but having a difficult time with a pack. looking to spend no more than $200 on a pack. planning to thru-hike in 2012 and was hoping to get some suggestions based on experience from other thru-hikers.

Head out to REI or any other outfitter and let them know your plans and budget. Try on everything they suggest and ones the don't. Find something that works for you. Around here everyone will tend to tell you get the fad pack of the day because they like it. It's your back and your pack so find one that you enjoy, not one that people here suggest you get.

skinewmexico
09-21-2011, 08:57
I think that if your gear won't fit in a Circuit................you've chosen the wrong gear.

4eyedbuzzard
09-21-2011, 09:09
Risu, post the rest of your gear, at least your major items (sleeping bag and pad, tent or tarp, cooking setup, etc), so people will get an idea of what you'll be carrying. It will at least narrow the choices a bit as heavier and bulkier gear generally requires a pack with a more robust suspension. But I'd tend to agree with skinewmexico - if the circuit wont do it, you've likely chosen gear that is on the heavy and bulky side and isn't well suited to the purpose of thru-hiking.

Blissful
09-21-2011, 10:10
if the circuit wont do it, you've likely chosen gear that is on the heavy and bulky side and isn't well suited to the purpose of thru-hiking.

I think this is a very subjective comment.

I have seen many hikers hike with lots of gear and make it (some of those in 2010 had alot b/c of snow). My son took an Osprey, loaded and made it. Just because someone takes bulkier gear doesn't mean it isn't suited or HIS or HER thru hike (which after all is their hike and not one that has to fit in some ultralight mode of hiking).

No way can my gear fit in a little circuit for the start of an early spring hike or the weather of the Whites, but it fits pretty good in the catalyst.

Gear has nothing to do with a successful thru hike in most instances. Gear issue work themselves out. Its the mental issue that needs to be more suited to a thru hike.

hikergurl
09-21-2011, 10:55
Contact the local hiking club. I googled this one for you, http://www.oc-hiking.com/. I'm sure they can get you in contact with a local reputable outfitter. They might even have a few people willing to let you try and/or borrow a few of their packs to get an idea of what you may want. Personally, I never liked the super ultralight models because they lack in features, like a lid (top pocket), or side access into the main pocket, everyone's different. It's hard to find an outfitter without a fitting fee for trying on packs, but it really is the best way to go.

skinewmexico
09-21-2011, 11:57
I think this is a very subjective comment.

It's a public forum, aren't they all? And I'll stand by my comment. I've never heard anyone wish for a heavier pack.

mangus7175
09-21-2011, 13:29
I think you should get a pack that fits you best and most especially, one that fits all of you gear. Since you're planning on a thru-hike, you would want a pack that is comfortable and fits you just right.

Take your gear to an outdoor retailer, get measured, and test out packs. Ask lots of questions, make sure that the pack you choose can also carry the weight of all your gear - the last thing you want is to be in the middle of nowhere and your pack fails on you ;)

Good luck.

Buffalo Skipper
09-21-2011, 13:46
Risu,
I have a circuit and love it! YMMV

Check out these outfitters: http://www.nomadventures.com/. They carry ULA equipment, and have several locations which may be near you. Look at the ULA-Equipment website for more details. Try it on. Determine if it will hold your gear. If not then begin looking for another pack. Start at REI; there are several in Orange County and around the LA basin. They do not carry ULA, but can steer you toward a variety of options. On the whole, their salespeople are good at sizing and fitting.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

fantomhockey
09-21-2011, 18:51
I'll be using the Deuter ACT-Lite 65+10 for my thru-hike in June. I have the 2008 or 2009 model right now, and this pack is amazing. I'm 6'3" 180 lbs. I probably have around 500 miles in it, it's been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and all over the Rocky Mountains, in short it's taken plenty of abuse. No problems major or minor. It's regularly $189 but REI puts it on sale relatively often. That and I'm sure Deuter will release a 2012 model sometime soon, and the current model will go on clearance. Great pack weight at 3 lbs 15 oz.

4eyedbuzzard
09-21-2011, 19:18
I think this is a very subjective comment...
With the exception of news feeds, verifiable facts, etc, pretty much everything is subjective (and opinionated) isn't it? I don't think synthetic bags, 5 lbs tents, and 5 lb 70 liter packs are well-suited to thru-hiking. Why? The more weight you carry, the more fuel / food you uses, the more tired you get, the more you strain under the increased load, and you increase your chance of injury. I see very few thru-hikers carrying large volume or heavy packs anymore - at least the ones that make it as far as New England. That doesn't mean someone can't hike that way, but given what is available, why anyone would want to carry 5 or 10 pounds of extra weight from GA to ME is beyond me.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2011, 21:59
I Second the idea that no one can tell you what pack you will like without knowing you and your gear.

Many packs at conventional outfitters are really weekend packs. Huge, full of compartments, heavy zippers, and "gadgety features" to attract newbies.

What you really want is simplicity , durability, and light weight.

You do need to try packs, with your gear, to decide. You can order and return, but that gets pricey after a few so best to narrow down first.

Companies like ULA, Granite Gear, make "lightweight" but durable packs with good load carrying capacity.

Bloomer
09-21-2011, 23:01
You should feel comfortable with you pack on. If that means having a pack that weighs a couple pounds more than a Ultra light model so be it. As a Army Infantry Veteran, I was forced uncomfortable gear and had to make the best of it. Now a days I use a Gregory Baltaro 5lbs 14oz for its comfort and stability. Cutting weight with tent, sleep system and stove, helps keep my base weight down. When your into a 6-7 day hike between mail drops or shopping, you'll be glad to have the extra room in your pack.

Risu
09-23-2011, 00:54
I've checked out a great many things but don't have too many picked out yet, this is what i have though:
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent
Kelty Mistral 20 bag
Pocket Rocket
Minimalist cookset

Trying to keep thing light. Thanks for all the advice, i suppose i will just keep looking.

Maddog
09-23-2011, 02:26
A great pack but doesn't fit the order at $250. Really, a lot of packs can be found for under $200 used, but can't pin down the perfect pack for you.
Make sure it's big enough, without being too big. It's all up to personal hiking style, and budget. Check here is FS forum, craigslist and ebay. Good luck.I said the Circuit...not the Catalyst! Circuit=$200! :D

Old Hiker
09-23-2011, 07:16
It's a public forum, aren't they all? And I'll stand by my comment. I've never heard anyone wish for a heavier pack.

Au contraire, mon ami! When that nasty, skinny 20-something blasted past me last summer with what appeared to be a pack as heavy as mine, you'd better BELIEVE I was wishing she had a heavier pack! <sigh>

Dadgum it ! You young whippersnappers - get off'n my trail!

jburgasser
09-23-2011, 07:59
here is a crazy idea: Kelty Trekker. You can get it from Amazon for around $100.00. Big enough for a thru. Did I mention it is an external frame pack? Let's you stand up straight, not bent over slightly at the waist, holds the weight more on your hips, and you can carry heavier loads way more comfortably. I have always felt the external frame packs are better suited for the AT.

JB

ClassicMagger
09-23-2011, 10:07
Hey:

On my 2010 AT-Thru I used a Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian, which I've seen go in the used forums for 160-200 US Dollars shipped. Granted it's a little pricey for not being new, however it held up great with the amount of gear I started with (quite a bit as I was in the snow for 500 or so of the first miles). But you can also cut the pack down for when you lighten up later in the trip.

It's just what I used, but not for everybody.

-Kevin

Donde
09-23-2011, 10:27
I second taking a look at the Flash 65. However your choice should be based on what fits you and whats fits your the rest of your gear best.

dillard
09-23-2011, 11:47
I just did 530 miles through WV and VA using the Osprey Kestrel 68 and it was a great pack. Not ultralight but not too heavy either, it is very comfortable, has enough space for everything to fit easily and is within your price range.

With 25-30 lbs in the bag you hardly know its there... when I carried beer, a bigger sleeping bag, 4.5 lbs tent and the food for both me and my partner the weight got up over 50 lbs and it was still comfortable to carry.

thechadders
09-27-2011, 11:21
Take a look at the GoLite pinnacle (70L) and Jam (54L). I have used these packs for two years and I love them but like everyone else has said its on a person by person basis.

restlesss
09-27-2011, 13:56
skip REI, Go to a local independent shop and have them fit you and make suggestions. Most of them can order most packs. I did a mystery shop at REI and as a backpacker knew what I was after size and all, they fit me completely wrong and tried to get me into a 80 liter pack when I only needed a 50. most of the time I go into an REI, I am helped by people who might car camp but don't actually hit a trail bound for the great outdoors. local shops only hire people who use the gear they sell and have more knowledge of what you need for a short or long trail.

Do get fitted though. ULA will allow you to return No questions asked if needed. I am going to get a circuit for my next pack. it was amazing when I sent that question to ULA, the owner actually emailed me back... that does say something about the company

hope that helps

Restlesss

mattack
09-28-2011, 10:22
I'm in the same boat, and I've narrowed it down to the REI Flash 50 or the Osprey Exos 58. Both are very light and have good features, IMO. But like others said...take a trip to your outfitter and try some on and see what fits!