PDA

View Full Version : Check list Hookup

IrishBASTARD
09-21-2011, 09:09
In need of a fellow thru hiker...Start date any time late Feb early March 2012. As of now I have all my gear money stocked away...for endless snickers and ding dongs. The one thing I need most is a fellow hiker...their on my list but not checked off.

WHAT I NEED IS YOU. Someone around my age or younger I am twenty eight and looking to hike it with anyone...down for the long haul.

College grad and Post grad so I am smart my profs thought so the working world does not. I would like to keep pace at twenty miles a day when possible. I fully understand A.T it can be dangerous wild and certainly wet...its once in a lifetime experience with Mother nature and fellow hikers. Please PM me if your down for it.

"As you walk the woods of life may the sun always be bright to lead you down safely".

Roadside

Storm
09-21-2011, 09:12
For an educated man I think you still have a lot to learn. JMHO

ekeverette
09-21-2011, 09:17
good luck buddy!

lush242000
09-21-2011, 09:24
Have fun with your 20 a day. Let us know how that works out for you.

Fog Horn
09-21-2011, 10:04
I might see you out there, but I don't share your opinion that being corraled with a stranger for five months is what is going to make the hike good. I also don't think that I'm going to start off at more than 15 miles a day.

I would urge you to consider the weather as well. The biggest folly I have in my planning is that I know I set high expectations for myself and then get disappointed when I cannot live up to them. The time frame you are looking at is likely for snow and ice. You'll be hiking a lot slower in snow and ice than you will in good weather, and the 20 miles per day goal you've set might not be extremely feasible. Most accounts I have read of starting that early also include a day or two of just hunkering down because some heavy storm swept the trail from view. Just food for thought.

The way you write makes me miss Matthewski.

Doc Mike
09-21-2011, 12:46
I fully understand A.T it can be dangerous wild and certainly wet...its once in a lifetime experience with Mother nature and fellow hikers. Please PM me if your down for it.

dangerous wild? Which A.T. are you talking about? I hope you know that almost everyday for most of the trip you will hear cars, trucks, planes etc.

Roadside[/QUOTE]

Trailweaver
09-21-2011, 14:44
You're in for some surprising days in Georgia in Feb. Good luck.

IrishBASTARD
09-21-2011, 21:18
No cars dont bother me airplanes as an American...they do I look everytime before no problem. No I was not in NYC on 9-11 it doesnt matter it affected all of us...hikers and walkers alike. The dangerous wild are people like the killers of Mr. Lilly...people who just kill to do something. Townies either people who want your cash in town...or to mess with you at the shelters. No I have not experienced anything yet hence my need for a fellow hiker...both to chill and relax but also enjoy the hike with.

IrishBASTARD
09-27-2011, 21:38
BUMP still searching

handlebar
09-29-2011, 11:42
Don't sweat the partnering up. Most of the made-in-advance partnership seem to fail. Instead, just get out there and start walking. Starting in late Feb/early Mar, you will meet someone (or a group of folks) on the AT that hikes your pace and with whom you are compatible. BTW, I wouldn't describe the AT as wild and/or dangerous. You're never far from a road or town. Also, don't rule out hiking with older guys. Now, as to your pace, I think you'll find that 20 mile days are a little much until you get to Shenandoah NP and that from NH north you'll be averaging under 20 as well.

IrishBASTARD
10-13-2011, 23:20
Bump...still searching. Rather have someone before hiking then during.

bigcranky
10-14-2011, 08:42
Seriously, do yourself a huge favor and just go hike. You'll meet plenty of hikers out there, and your hiking partner will appear as if by magic once you've been out a few days. That one guy or gal who shows up in camp every night after your 20 mile day is much more likely to be The One than someone you meet on the internet ahead of time. Then, if it doesn't work out, there's always another hiker.

Go. Hike. Enjoy. You'll be fine.

hikerboy57
10-14-2011, 09:23
its the chance meetings and hookups thatll make your hike memorable, not the guy you started with that wanted to hike a different pace,disagreed on zeros, and kept on asking when you'd stop for a break,etc. chances are pretty good you'll hook up with someone along the way thats compatible.
its not dangerous, except for killer spruce grouse.

4eyedbuzzard
10-14-2011, 09:47
Just hike, you'll meet plenty of other hikers in the AT wilderness.

And honestly - and especially as you're a post grad student - I hope you put more effort into your hike than you do into your writing.

IrishBASTARD
11-06-2011, 23:39
Still searching...not interested in comments from jag-off older people. Especially ppl who deem it to condemn others on writing skills...yes you are as your parents arrogant and rude. Looking to leave Mid-Early March have a ride if I can meet you close enough to Springer...can ask my friend to give you a lift as well.

MedicineWoman2012
11-07-2011, 10:31
Are you truly an Irishman? I am beginning to believe your descriminating taste for a partner to share the trail with is causing alot of turmoil. You seem to be more of a pompass jerk that has no idea what the elements can do to you along the AT especially this time of year. If you are really pushing for 20 miles a day I wouldnt be so bold as to announce it here among "olderfolks" who have spent years reaching that speed during warmer months and less acclimate weather. I cant wait to hear the feed back and pace you reach while in smokies and with two foot snowdrifts that were not in the forcast. You would be surprised what us "old folks" could teach ya with their life experiences along the AT. WE/ THEY are very valuable resources while hiking and their experience far outways your post graduate attitude! Just saying! I cant imagine sharing a shelter with a "know it all" that has it all figured out with his check list. Ya may wanna add of "humility" to the list of things to put in the backpack?

Spogatz
11-07-2011, 16:07
You should hike with a high school drop out. that way you would learn that you don't have to have an education to be smart!!!

takethisbread
11-08-2011, 00:38
Still searching...not interested in comments from jag-off older people. Especially ppl who deem it to condemn others on writing skills...yes you are as your parents arrogant and rude. Looking to leave Mid-Early March have a ride if I can meet you close enough to Springer...can ask my friend to give you a lift as well. Hi, I don't listen to the advice of people who have actual experience, and for some reason I feel such great insecurity that I need someone to hold my hand every night at camp so I don't wet my pants.

Toolumpy
11-08-2011, 20:54
Who would want to join someone who has an angry attitude before he even hits the trail?? Not my opinion of a good hiking partner.

Sierra Echo
11-08-2011, 21:00
You must have a lot of energy if you are hiking AND looking for endless ding dongs!

ekeverette
11-08-2011, 21:32
good replies folks.... this guy will not find anyone with his know-it-all attitude! he is an irish bastard !!!!

mountainman
11-08-2011, 21:52
Still searching...not interested in comments from jag-off older people. Especially ppl who deem it to condemn others on writing skills...yes you are as your parents arrogant and rude. Looking to leave Mid-Early March have a ride if I can meet you close enough to Springer...can ask my friend to give you a lift as well.

there is some older people out there that could walk you into the ground .. I'm 65 and section hiker, 1800 mi so far and averaged close to 20 pd. I've seen a lot of hikers faster than me.
until you've average 20pd you don't know what it takes.

The Cleaner
11-08-2011, 22:05
good replies folks.... this guy will not find anyone with his know-it-all attitude! he is an irish bastard !!!! And he probably won't be in the 20-30% that make it all the way either......

Mike2012
11-09-2011, 01:35
All I know is I'm showing up to the trail head and walking up and over Springer Mountain and or until I get tired and find a good tent site. Maybe I'll meet a fellow hiker on the train or bus ride down. Whatever. The clouds, trees, birds and bees all make for fine company.