PDA

View Full Version : Start buying gear!

smith_nap
09-21-2011, 13:09
Hi, i am not going on the AT until June 2012 but i am starting early to prepare. I was wondering what should i start out buying for gear?? Tent? Clothes? what order should i buy my gear in?? thanks for the help

RWheeler
09-21-2011, 13:22
I'd say you can probably hold off on buying your tent until March or April, when you'll have a chance to use it, practice setting it up, etc, unless you come across a great deal on what you're looking for.

I'm always a proponent of getting packs ASAP and letting them break in, get the stiffness out of the straps, and get comfortable adjusting it, putting it on, taking it off, etc. But before you get a pack, you should know what sort of baseweight you're looking for - do you want to go Ultralight, Lightweight, or a more traditional weight? Be aware that an ultralight pack will not be able to hold the weight/bulk of heavier gear. So first take a look at your budget and what your comforts are (both in carrying weight, and comfort while you're camping, etc).

As for clothes, you can pick those up whenever, depending on the layers you're taking. I know for my base layer, I'll be taking C9 clothes (Target brand of UnderArmor), which I've already purchased and currently use on day hikes, softball games, etc.

As for footwear... I feel like this is something that'd be better to wait until closer to the time for, as foot sizes change, and, again, it'll have an impact on what weight class you want to aim for.

Items like trekking poles, gloves, stoves, a headlamp, etc.... you can get those whenever. Get them early so you can get used to them, use them a little, and if you don't like them, exchange them for something else to try.

Blissful
09-21-2011, 14:11
I'd buy a pack last after you get your gear. That said, now's the time to start buying if you plan to go in 2012, its not that far away really (I mean if you had a few years I'd wait, but you have less than a year. Also makes good Christmas presents) Take a few weekend shake downs with it in the spring too. As for shoes, the shoe length doesn't change unless you are actually hiking day in and day out, then your feet flatten and swell. Still it's good to go with at least a half size to a size larger.

couscous
09-21-2011, 15:12
Worth reading before you buy gear.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/backpacking_v_thruhiking

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

theoilman
09-21-2011, 15:42
My local outfitter told me recently that sleeping bag prices are going up Jan 1, with synthetic bags around 10% and down bags slightly higher increase. I'm planning on a new bag before the end of the year. If Santa doesn't bring it, I'll buy it between Christmas and New Years.

Buffalo Skipper
09-21-2011, 15:45
+1 on Blissful's suggestion to (at least mostly) pin down gear and seek a pack to match. I agree this is a great approach.

couscous, great article. Thanks for that link.

Pollen
09-21-2011, 19:42
bought my tent first and used it several times at (car camping) while day hiking, then bought my bag and sleeping pad. Finally bought the pack; like mentioned above taking my gear to the outfitters and trying on the pack loaded, even had them to add packed food and weight for water. Worked out really well.

smith_nap
09-21-2011, 22:09
Thanks for all the advise guys, it helped alot.

MuddyWaters
09-21-2011, 22:55
You need to know WHAT to buy first, dont you? If you already had it planned out you wouldnt be asking, I presume.

If you intend to walk 2200 miles, you might consider that the weight you carry will be mighty important to your level of comfort, and possibly even success. But light weight has to be balanced with protection from the elements. Take some time to figure out what you really need.

Generally, the most experienced hikers, carry the lightest packs. There is a reason for that.

Yes some people make it all the way with a 40 lb pack (or more!). But many also drop out trying to carry heavy packs due to foot problems, injuries,etc.

The first thing I would advise doing, is to create a spreadsheet with every item you will bring on it, and the weight. Dont guess, weigh it. That means go to a store with a pocket digital scale and weigh it. Get your head wrapped around the weights of everything, and how it all adds up to lbs on your back.
Decide if you will be happy carrying a 5 lb tent, or do you want a 1.5 lb tent, or a 8oz tarp. Decisions, decisions. Same for clothing., sleep gear, cook gear, miscl items. You must weigh function vs. weight. Research every single item to find the lightest, durable, best value possible that satisfies you.

If you just go to REI and start buying stuff, you will spend way too much money on heavy crap gear that you will end up replacing or leaving behind somewhere. .

glaux
09-22-2011, 06:56
I think it doesn't hurt to start stalking the sales and clearance racks now-- I've seen a lot of summer clothes on clearance recently.

Also, I've been slowly building up my gear collection over the last year (won't get a chance to try a thru until 2013, but wanted to start short backpacking trips to figure out what I like), and I started with the stuff that you need day hiking, so I could use it for day hikes. Then I added in stuff I could use camping, and used it for camping trips. The backpack was the last thing I got, and had a great time backpacking and trying it all out last weekend. I'm not going to quit my job and attempt a thru unless I'm sure I like backpacking, so I'm planning several short and long backpacking trips over the next year and a half-- and I fully expect to learn what kind of gear I chose wisely, and what needs to be replaced.

Old Hiker
09-22-2011, 07:12
Stalk the Goodwill stores, Salvation Army thrift stores, etc. Great clothing bargains.

doritotex
09-22-2011, 07:55
So....you own absolutely no gear? Have you ever been backpacking for several nights? In what order should you buy your gear? I think if you need a tent, clothes and everything else you will need it all at the same time. Hit the trail for a couple nights at a time...you will figure out what you need and what order you need it. You learn more about the trail, on the trail, not on a forum. Everyone has their own way of doing things, you need to learn your way of doing things before you get on the trail for over 2000 miles.

Spokes
09-22-2011, 10:24
Don't let an outfitter salesman scare you into thinking you need a lot of stuff. It all looks good in the store but start to lug it and soon you'll be miserable. Start thinking in ounces.

Here's a tried and true gear list. Add a trash compactor bag as pack liner. tweak for warm weather to go even lighter.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Cheers!

jeramie75
09-22-2011, 19:49
When in doubt, go with the lighter, more expensive choice. You will be glad you did even if it did lighten your wallet as well.

hikergurl
09-22-2011, 19:53
That''s good to know. I'm debating wearing out my old bag then getting a new one, but sooner or later, I'd like to invest in a really good bag...preferably at a cheaper price

hikergurl
09-22-2011, 19:56
i meant in response to theoilman about the sleeping bag prices. However, buyer beware I guess, outfitters could just be pushing for end of season inventory

That''s good to know. I'm debating wearing out my old bag then getting a new one, but sooner or later, I'd like to invest in a really good bag...preferably at a cheaper price

q-tip
09-23-2011, 10:33
My suggestion, buy a postal scale first, then weigh each item as you are buying it. It's too late to save 6 oz. after you plop down several hundred dollars on a piece of gear. IMO

Trailbender
09-23-2011, 12:03
Don't forget, you can also dirtbag a lot of gear. Mags of this forum has a webpage somewhere on it, and SGT Rock has a really good post as well. I really haven't bought tons of gear over my hiking "career", but I am really good at sewing and modifying stuff.

fireneck
09-23-2011, 15:37
You should NEVER pay full price for gear. There is always a sale on the internet, or ways to reduce the price. Since you have sometime before your hike check out Steep & Cheap (http://www.steepandcheap.com/) often!

Chubbs4U
09-23-2011, 16:38
You should NEVER pay full price for gear. There is always a sale on the internet, or ways to reduce the price. Since you have sometime before your hike check out Steep & Cheap (http://www.steepandcheap.com/) often!

Completely agree but some of the cottage stuff doesnt go on sale so sometimes, if we want new, have to pay those prices.

MuddyWaters
09-23-2011, 20:04
Western Mountaineering rarely goes on sale. Unless its a factory sponsored sale, I think they might only only when a vendor drops them and clears inventory. It pretty evident there are minimum price controls in place to be a dealer.

Names like Patagonia,etc are similar.

Sometimes the only colors you get in many sale items will make you puke. But thats okay to some if its really cheap. Those places are clearing slow inventory too.

fireneck
09-23-2011, 20:52
Names like Patagonia,etc are similar.

Sometimes the only colors you get in many sale items will make you puke. But thats okay to some if its really cheap. Those places are clearing slow inventory too.

This is not directed at you... but I swear some people think hiking a trail is a catwalk! Cheap Patagucci electric puke green clothes, are fine in my book. And they might help you get spotted by a helicopter if you are deep in the back country (not really a problem on the AT)!

MuddyWaters
09-25-2011, 03:50
Some people like myself spend more (much much more) of their life not hiking, skiing, climbing, etc. than doing those things. Having gear you dont mind wearing around town, or to work, etc helps get some value out of the expensive gear, maybe even justify it.

For instance, i have a black nano puff and i will wear it to work on cool mornings. I cannot quite see myself wearing "clementine" or "gecko green' to work, although I would have no problem with those at all for field use.

DapperD
09-25-2011, 19:52
Generally, the most experienced hikers, carry the lightest packs. There is a reason for that.

Yes some people make it all the way with a 40 lb pack (or more!). But many also drop out trying to carry heavy packs due to foot problems, injuries,etc.

When in doubt, go with the lighter, more expensive choice. You will be glad you did even if it did lighten your wallet as well.This is all good advice. We are all always on the lookout to save money in our daily lives, but when it comes to outfitting ourselves for a thru-hike, buying only lightweight, durable gear (if one doesn't make some of his own) is really the way to go. There is no doubt, light weight items are going to cost more, but when one totals the weight of everything they intend to take, the essentials, one will be thankful they thought their purchases through well. If one searches the gear outlets for sales, etc...as other's have said, there are ways to save money. But attempt to research your gear as well as possible beforehand before purchasing anything, and always attempt to buy the gear that weighs the lightest and is still comparably durable to heavier weight gear. When I was planning to thru-hike in 2009 (which fell through due to family commitments) I began purchasing gear. I attempted to buy only the lightest, most durable gear I could. I did not buy the absolute best, but instead bought good quality, lightweight name brand gear that I knew I would need to have, that would last, and that would be light in overall weight. Most of my choices were good. All the gear did add up to a decent amount of money expenditure, but if you are serious about thru-hiking, the extra money for quality lightweight gear will be money well spent.

MuddyWaters
09-26-2011, 01:32
I think that resale of used items is also lot better for the higher quality, lightweight stuff too. often can be sold for
60-80% of new purchase price, while you can hardly give away heavier gear.

sbhikes
09-27-2011, 17:07
Read this article. You can assemble some gear together to get you out there and get some experience before you buy.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?15329-Cheap-Gear-%96-How-to-Dirt-Bag-and-Deal-Shop-Like-a-Professional

RoadApe
09-29-2011, 20:49
Here's what we took on our last hike on the AT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSDqwngBtQY

Way too heavy. My pack weighed in at 47 lbs and Cindys was 36lbs. We started at the base of Amicalola Falls in Georgia. It's amazing all the time you spend preparing and you try and take everything you possibly can. Then when you get a few miles down (or up) the trail all you can think about is what you can get rid of. We're heading out again in about 3 weeks and are going as light as possible.

Every ounce counts. No words have ever rang so true.