PDA

View Full Version : POE Peak Elite AC 4 ounces lighter than advertised

Powder River
09-21-2011, 15:57
I just wanted to corroborate what I've been reading about the Peak Elite AC, which is that people are reporting it actually weighs LESS than what POE claims. My girlfriend just got the women's version (5'6", more insulation for the feet) and it clocks in at 11.1 ounces on the scale, much less than the 15 oz claimed. For anybody who is shopping according to weight this might change things for you. I personally was going to get the neoair all season at 19oz but now I think I'll get one of these. I wish I knew whether these are lighter because they have been altered from spec in some way, but I suppose we'll find out if it is as warm as they say.

skinewmexico
09-21-2011, 19:11
What? You mean there is a company besides Thermarest making pads?

STICK
09-21-2011, 20:13
Wow, 4 oz lighter is impressive! Makes you wonder if they forgot to put something in it... :)

I am not sure if this pad compares to the All-Season though. The higher stated R-Value on the POE pad is in a small area right in the middle and it is still less than the stated R-Value on the All Season. I wouldn't mind trying out one of the POE pads, but I cannot go back to the mummy cut or the vertical baffles...

Of course, I wouldn't mind trying out one of the Klymit Inertia pads too, but I am afraid I would get tangled up in it... plus there is the whole mummy cut to it too...

Powder River
09-22-2011, 00:40
Wow, 4 oz lighter is impressive! Makes you wonder if they forgot to put something in it... :)

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about. But I think if it tests out fine then it is definitely a replacement for my green neoair as it has more or equal R-value for less weight. I don't think it would rival the neoair all-season for warmth, but at 8 ounce savings you could carry a closed cell foam as well and have equal weight, which is something I would probably do regardless. The theory being that the POE+closed cell foam would be adequate for winter, whereas the neoair all-season + closed cell foam would be more warmth than necessary.

I don't mind the vertical baffles on my downmat, but I've never tried a mummy cut. So I guess we'll see.

Rcarver
09-22-2011, 07:53
I had read about this on another forum. I bought both the men's and women's pads to check for myself. My men's pad weighs 10.5 ounces and my women's pad weighs 10.25 ounces. I sent POE an email asking why they weigh less than listed. They responded that it is due to fabric differences.

Kerosene
09-22-2011, 15:49
They responded that it is due to fabric differences.Poor quality control if you ask me.

STICK
09-22-2011, 22:12
I don't have any of the POE pads, and as far as I can remember, have not laid my hands one one. So, I am not knocking POE pads, but I am curious...

I have heard that these pads are lighter than advertised by a bunch of people on a few different forums too, but I didn't know that it was due to a difference in the materials. It does make me wonder why, when so many people get these pads and state at how much lighter they are than advertised, what is up. It seems to me like with this much of a difference in weights and with so many reports of the difference, they would be listed at the correct weight, or listed as using the materials actually used on the pads on the site. If the reported weights were listed on the site then this fact alone may attract more customers...

Concerning the materials, it seems to me like there are a number of people that didn't/don't like how thin the NeoAir material is, so for those getting the POE pads with thinner than advertised materials that may cause some concern. Then again, maybe the materials are not thinner? But to cut a whopping 4 oz off, it seems to likely that it would be thinner...

Those of you that have the lighter than listed pads, what do you think of the materials?

Limeman
09-29-2011, 00:37
My Thermarest Prolite and NeoAir and my POE Elite AC pads have all weighed in less than spec, albeit the POE much more so than the Thermarest brand. So far no issues with the POE. Great pad. Paid less than $60 for mine. I see they are going for about $100 now. That is some inflation!